Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Ethernet Spec

Martin AA6E
Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Maestro
This should be an easy one.  The Maestro Datasheet, revised 4/16, says it supports 10/100 Mbs Ethernet. The Maestro User Guide and the Flex-6000 Datasheet are mute on supported Ethernet rates.  So what bit rates are officially supported? 10/100/1000?

I hope 1000, because my unit is perking at that rate.

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    ... in earlier days was written 1000 - now docs shows 10/100 and that's OK. No need for 100 or more
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    When I plug it into my Smart Switch it senses it as 1000M Full
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If 1000 is not truly supported, we should be able to at least turn it off.  As it is, it seems to run at 1000 if your Ethernet supports 1000.  I'd say that a solid 100 is better than a somewhat flaky 1000, but this is not easily controlled by the users if you have a 1000 network.  You'd need to get a 100 Mbs switch, probably.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Has it been reported as flaky at Gigabit??
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I believe engineering told us it was 100mb/s max.  I'll see if I can find the note.

Mike va3mw

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    June 2015

Dec 2015

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    If Gigabit isn't supported your switch will connect it at Fast Ethernet speed, no need to turn anything off.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    The Wireless option is faster than Fast Ethernet so it looks like it will never be plugged in.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@NordicPC
    Speed isn't the issue.  It's about reliably delivering a continuous packet stream.  WiFi is subject to upsets that Ethernet doesn't have.

@Chris
    Are these specs for supported capabilities?  Not necessarily. For example, I suppose BT4.0 is supported by hardware, but not by software yet.  So 1000 Mbs is allowed by hardware, but does software reliably support it? 

It works, depending on your definition of "work".  I'm seeing .03% error rate now FWIW, which is worse than my WiFi. With a 100 Mbs switch the error rate is zero.  The dropouts could be cabling and switch issues, but maybe Maestro is contributing.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Martin, unstable wireless in a congested environment might not be reliable, wireless can easily deliver reliable data streams if configured properly. Now that of course doesn't mean the "device" will deliver reliable data streams, either via Ethernet or WiFi if their implementation of either is poor. Some devices have zero configuration taking us out of the equation meaning we have to hope who ever made the device got it right.

Ethernet isn't subject to "upsets", really, I beg to differ, the chances of Ethernet being more stable is much higher but is certainly not a guarantee. Latency is key, Ethernet delivers that in spades but then my wireless at home is 1ms, my Gigibit Ethernet is less than 1ms (I kept trying ti use the less than symbol which gets deleted?)

Thankfully my neighbors seem intent on running theirs on the same channels making the channel I use much less worrisome and stable. It would be more so if on 5GHz.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Martin, I specifically asked Steve on that issue some months back, and his response validated 100Mb, as 100Mb was more than sufficient to pass Maestro traffic with plenty of cushion.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    10MBps is more than sufficient but I still would like to see Wireless AC as it can be on a less "busy" wireless network.
  • Ed Woodrick
    Ed Woodrick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    So, first, Maestro is running on Windows. So the network support is what Windows supports. Since EA4GLI indicated that the port does connect with GB protocols, then its pretty safe to assume that it is using a 10/100/1000 MB chipset. That means that it's going to basically talk to anything that you plug it into. (Even if it was 10/100, it would talk to a 1000 port, since that's part of the Ethernet protocol)
    So unless you are having some issues, there's nothing to worry about.
    Is 1000 Mbps better than 100 Mbps, from all indications no, the Maestro will never use that amount of network.
    Is plugging it into a 10/100/1000 switch better than a 10/100 switch? No, its a switch port and inside the switch, everything is translated to at least 1000 Mbps. And it doesn't matter how much other traffic is on the network, as long as the Maestro and 6000 are plugged into the same switch.

Is the wireless going to be better than 100 Mbps? Only in rare situations. There's a lot of misconception about the faster wireless protocols. Take a look at the actual wording on your wireless routers, its actually "aggregated throughput" that gives you the higher number. The actual speed from your computer is probably a lot slower than you may think. (And the use of a 350 Mbps wireless connection to access a 10 Mbps Internet connection is quite comical)

But you have to go back to what the device actually uses. It doesn't use 100Mbs. At this point, it could have a 100000000Mbps connection and it wouldn't really change anything

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.