Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My worst nightmare has come true

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
My worst nightmare has come true.

I have been putting it off for as long as possible, but earlier this week I had to cave in...and switch my wife to Win 7!

Her Win XP partition has become too flaky to use. My XYL is not particularly adept at using computers and it will be a long slog to get her bedded in with Win 7. The silver lining to the cloud is that I am in hospital for a couple of operations this coming Wednesday, so a lot of the flack will be directed at my son! 

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Guy - If upgrading to Win 7 is your worst nightmare, you have it made! :)
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Install Classic Shell and enable the WinXP Start menu for her. At least that will be familiar.
  • Lou
    Lou Member
    edited November 2016
    Guy! Good wishes to you for your operations. Windows 7 is the least of your worries.

73/ Regards

Lou N2TU
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My largely computer illiterate wife managed the transitions from XP to Win7 and then to Win10 with no difficulty whatsoever.
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Classic Shell has made my Windows 8.1 experience possible.
    Excellent suggestion!
    Ted
    NX6C
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ditto here. Classic Shell saved me plenty of unfavorable wife interaction... Someone once compared upgrading their wife's O.S. to teaching them to drive... ;)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This is why I converted my wife to a Linux desktop. All of the features, none of the heartburn.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The thing is that if anything goes wrong, it is always the hardware or software and NEVER, EVER operator error. The start menu is the least of my worries. The stories I could tell would have you all pitying me. It would be easier to split an atom with a knife and fork.

Thanks for all the kind wishes.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Teaching them to drive is easier
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @Guy BEst of luck with the surgery
  • K7FU
    K7FU Member
    edited January 2017
    Oh I am very very familiar with the woes of xyl computer operations....... Good Luck with both operations....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good luck, Guy, with both your computer upgrade and your medical procedures.
    I pray that both go well and neither take much recovery time.

Ken - NM9P
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    ...but they never quite 'get it' do they?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thank you all for your kind wishes and prayers.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Guy - just give her Win 10 and get it over with - you may be far enough away to not hear the screaming.

Good wishes and thoughts during your medical care.  Take it easy and baby steps forward.

Cheers and have a pint.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I feel your pain.  Up until a couple of years ago, my XYL was challenged by pocket calculators and three way light switches.  That's all changed and now she has an iPhone, Facebook, and can program the coffee maker on her own.  :)

Good luck with your medical procedures. 

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Steve and Walt for your kind wishes.
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Howard... I suspect if I were teaching her in a Tesla things would go a mite smoother... ;-)
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is why I converted my wife to using a Mac
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

True about the Tesla.. in fact, she has stolen it from me and declared it "HER CAR" which is a crime because she never pushes it to the limits its capable of...

@Guy

I provide full time tech support in my house basically every time she tries to turn on the TV set or start her computer...

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Bought my XYL a MacBook.. did not help
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Does your car "self drive"? Howard
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Howard, LOL. Did you hear the story of somebody who died in a self-drive Tesla? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36680043

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Yes my car has AutoPilot and virtually self drives.....

The Guy who died was watching a Harry Potter Movie and not paying attention to the road.. also the Tractor Trailer pulled out in front of him without sufficient time for any vehicle to stop. 

Frankly the Autodrive feature is a better driver than my XYL

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Tried Win10 yet Howard?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes. I have uninstalled it from all of my computers and several of XYL's friends computers.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Howard's experience is similar to mine. I had it on a vanilla partition for testing, so I did not use it for productive purposes. It is a pig's ear of an OS and I vaped it. It says something about Win 10 when I still use XP on my PCs.

My wife has done surprisingly well. She is just doing my head in as things look different and she does not know how to change the appearance.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    No need for classic shell in Windows 7, the difference isn't that great.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Windows 10 currently on six PCs including the XYL's. No problems on any of them for a full year now. xyl is a user & won't even venture to write an email on her android tablet but she has precious few troubles on WIN 10. Occasionally I have to OK an update for her or show her how to find someone in her contacts list but that's about it. I suggest going straight to WIN 10 & skip all of the intermediate learning curve. It isn't rocket scienc & you'll probably end up there in time anyway.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I also believe the free upgrade finishes at the end of this month. Personally, I suggest everyone upgrade if you haven't already. I have many PC on it. it is a personal decision. Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.