Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

maestro wired vs wifi

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Maestro
Is there a way to temporarily turn off the wifi on the Maestro and force it to use the wired connection?   It seems that it always wants to use wifi even when hard wired.

Answers

• Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One thing I found to be neat is to run the cat5 from the 6500 directly to the Maestro. No computer and no wifi needed. Possibilities!
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't have my Maestro in front of me, but you can do this.  You don't turn off the wifi, I think you touch the Icon in the bottom right (or left) before you select your Wifi network.

Mike va3mw

• Warren Gaspar
    Warren Gaspar Member
    edited July 2016
    Tried this on mine but the Ethernet port is not active.  Tried different cables and ports on switch swapping with known good port still no joy.  It's like the port is not active in the Maestro.  I know it works because we used it on Field Day, I'm stumped

Warren NU7R.
  • Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Try a different Ethernet switch. I had similar problem with my Maestro using a TrendNet gigabit switch. It did not like it. Switched it to a Cisco Gigabit switch and it works fine. Dudley also suggested using a 100 MB switch instead of a Gigabit switch. But, the Maestro Ethernet in general seems to me to be rather finicky. More than it should be. But I love teh Maestro. i am sure the guys at Flex will get the bugs out.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If you go into WiFi and "Forget" your WiFi network it will only have the wired option for connection.
    Mine defaults to Wired IP, but after a restart. If I am on Wifi and connect the ethernet it will keep two IPs.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Salvador
    I've seen that too. Thanks for pointing out that "should have been obvious" workaround. My WiFi works right up until, it doesn't. I wish it would just prefer the wired connection when it's available. With two IP's active, is it trying to stream using both? or does it default to "Use WiFi when it's available". wired ought to out perform 802.11n WiFi.
    73, Jay - NO5J     
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    As far as I can tell, mine defaults to wired network but it is not obvious.. So maybe this could be entered as a suggestion for future version
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    We need to be able to turn the wifi OFF.  I mean actually turn the wifi radio off.  We also need to be able to turn it back on when needed, select a network that we've used before and not have to re-enter the network security key.  It should remember this.....
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Norm
    Agreed, Until we get the ability to turn the WiFi radio off, we will be stuck with workarounds. I don't really know what's is and isn't possible, But is it necessary to have two connection choosers one for all things WiFi and another for wired. Wouldn't one chooser that lists all the available connections both wired and WiFi in one list, lets you select one, and then actually uses what you told it to use for that sesssion make sense. The WiFi connection selections should just learn and remember the security keys, unless told to forget them. the WiFi icon in the lower left ought to be capable of toggleing the WiFi radio on and off. But when I select a wired connection, I don't want it using anything but wired. I haven't had enough time with the Maestro to really figure out what I want yet.
    Flexradio needs to know what we want before they invest any time into creating code that doesn't do what we want. That can't later be undone, with out introducing problems. They have mentioned that they aiming for more frequent releases. Which means they need our input now not later. Discussing the pros and cons of all our ideas doesn't have to be seen as unwanted interference.

No Harm, No Foul, Intended!image

73, Jay - NO5J 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.