Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Control Siezing Up

Dave - WB5NHL
Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
Tim;
 This was not heavy use. Instead of denying the problem, since it can't be economically repaired (completely understandable) it would be MUCH more helpful if Flex would post the Part Number of the CTS mechanical encoder. This way those of use with repair skills could attempt a repair. Of course at our own risk. I looked at the CTS encoders but there is several options and no PN on the encoder it self.

Answers

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes Part Numbers Please!

Encoder (??????)
    Switches (?????)
    Thanks.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    The encoder and switch are an integral unit. Google cts rotary encoder switch and you'll see quite a variety.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Momentary Push Button Switches, The 3 across the top of the unit. (?????)
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Someone mentioned it looked like an Alps and it sure looks like this one:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALPS/EC11E1834403

with pushbutton and no mechanical detents. This particular unit has 18 pulses per rev. Someone using SDR on PC could set a slice frequency to 7.000Mc and the step size to 1.00kHz. Then spin the dial exactly one revolution CW direction. The slice will count the number of steps. 
    Before purchasing, I'd 'mic' the lead spacings and shaft diameter. 

This encoder is my best guess!  YMMV

k3Tim

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes Tim I thought it looked like an Alps and the one you found sure looks like the one in the FlexControl.
    I just hope flex will confirm the Part Numbers for the Encoder and the switches.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    My Flex Control encoder is definitely a CTS unit. Marked CTS on side but no PN.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Encoder: CTS 290VAA5F201B1
    Push Switch: Mountain Switch 101-0621-EV
    Button Cap Round: Mountain Switch 101-0210-EV
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Encoder: CTS 290VAA5F201B1
    Push Switch: Mountain Switch 101-0621-EV
    Button Cap Round: Mountain Switch 101-0210-EV
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thank you Tim.
    You The Man! :)

• Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Tim,
    Avery sticker with that info going under the FlexControl -- just in case --

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Chuck

Add a **** of Avery with this on it as a backup too ... https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-control-siezing-up
    It will likely outlast the Avery labelsimage
    The adhesive will likely last forever but the label strips themselves respond well to chisels.
    With elbow grease, ANYTHING is possible!

Dymo might outlast the Internet, Dymo adhesive is a little stronger than the adhesive that holds my fingernails onto my fingers, so "almost" ANYTHING is possible with elbow grease.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    A big thank you Tim,  Flex Radio continues to set a high bar for customer support.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.