Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VOX button on Marstro

[Deleted User]
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Is it possible in the future to program one of the function buttons for VOX ???

Answers

• Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I agree. It would be nice to have more options for the function buttons.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The function buttons should be user programmable for anything the user can change. Hopefully that will occur in future software updates.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

The DEXP does not work on the Maestro so I doubt VOX would ever work correctly (MIC-1 & MIC-2).   The only way to get it to work would be if your MIC is connected directly to the Flex not the Maestro. 

Cal/N3CAL

• Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    VOX works with all inputs on Maestro. There is no need to connect your microphone directly to the radio instead of the Maestro, VOX will work with both. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Ed. Thanks for correcting Cal's erroneous assumption I think the point of Stevens request was to be able to turn VOX on and off by pushing a programmable function key on Maestro. I can think of many SSB use cases and operating styles where instant access to Vox controls would be very useful.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    I know it works with all inputs. I just want to be able to access the vox on/off via a function button. I use my headset with vox 99% of the time and it is more convenient than going to the tx menu to select it or deselect it.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Too bad the DEXP doesn't work on the Maestro, one of my favorite features of the Flex
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If Vox works with the Maestro why doesn't DEXP?  

Cal/N3CAL
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

@CAL

Simple Answer - the button has not been connected up yet in software.. should likely be connected in v1.8

To answer your next question.. Why was it not included in 1.7...  Simple Answer.. because people were whining so much about not getting their Maestro's yesterday  that Flex had to freeze development to finish what was deliverable ASAP.. and DEXP did not make the cut...

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @ Howard

An earlier thread (Al K0VM) says the Maestro DEXP is a hardware issue not software?  I was led to believe it could not be fixed....  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/maestro-dexp-greyed-out

Bottom line for me is I'm forced to connect my mic to the radio instead of the Maestro in order to use DEXP and in my case VOX.   (personal preference)  

Cal/N3CAL

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    DEXP is implemented using the codec in the radio.  To do it in the Maestro, the codec in the Maestro would need to have a DEXP (it does not) or we would have to move it to the DSP in the radio.  We may consider doing the later in a future version of SmartSDR.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    DEXP is a a software function that is currently implemented in the audio codec of the radio which means that it is not *inline* with remote audio (Maestro in this case) or DAX audio. In order to make DEXP work in Maestro, it has to be moved from the audio codec into the ARM/DSP signal chains. Moving DEXP needs to be done carefully to get the same performance/characteristics which is the reason it was moved out of 1.7. No promises as to when it might get done as there is a lot of other things to do yet, but hopefully the work to move DEXP might get done in 1,8 in which case DEXP would work in Maestro.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Of course, anything is possible, it is just a simple matter of programming. ;-)

I have added this as a program change request for consideration in a future version of SmartSDR.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That would be great! DEXP gives our Flex radio TX audio very good quality. I loved the feature on PowerSDR and was  happy to see it implemented in SmartSDR. It definitely has my vote for Maestro.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.