Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Where is the latest Flex 6x00 to N1MM setup for dummies?

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've been all over the place looking for the latest detailed instructions on how to set up the 6x00 and N1MM to work together.  Even after using it a little bit at a local club station over the weekend for FD, I am still really confused.

There are latterly dozens of references to N1MM on the community, making it extremely hard to tell which ones are still valid and which ones are not. 

Based upon the latest Flex SmartSDR and N1MM Plus, are there any detailed setup and configuration instructions available in a single place?

Answers

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm sure users here can help you, as I was in the same boat way back when. I know if you do a search here on the forums, you'll find some good information. A comprehensive guide would be nice, but considering how complex N1MM is as a piece of software, it would be lengthy and time consuming for any one person to cover all the bases here (basic setup, voice keying, CW keying, SO2V/SO2R, etc.). I've heard, although can't confirm, that SSDR 1.7.30 now communicates directly with N1MM via IP (no more CAT interfacing).

If anything, I would think that it would be more on the N1MM developer's side to introduce literature on how to interface Signature Series radios rather than Flex, but the support in this forum is very good. 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    With  a few clicks I was able to get N1MM talking to my 6500. What specifics are you looking for? 
  • Craig McVeay
    Craig McVeay Member
    edited December 2017
    Norm - how deep do you need to get into the N1MM+ setup with the Flex?  If it's just basics, it's actually not all that hard.  Run the Smart SDR and make sure you have SmartSDR CAT going.  Look at the SDR CAT to see which COM port is associated with the open slices (I have mine set up for Slice A, COM4).  Then, in N1MM+, under "Config" and "Configure Ports....." hit the hardware tab, enter the COM port in the pull down, select the Flex 6000 series in the Radio pull down, select CW/Other.  In the "Details", click on Set and I use 57600 for speed, N for parity, 8 databits, 2 stop bits, DTR is always on, RTS is always on, Radio #1 and that's all I change.  With that, N1MM+ will see the radio.  Setting up digital and CW gets a little more complicated but the above sill get you started.

Craig
    N0CSM
  • M1tanker64
    M1tanker64 Member
    edited June 2016
    Excellent Craig!  Thanks for posting! 
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Craig.  That really helps.  I've seen several different CAT configurations and wasn't sure which ones applied to the latest version of SmartSDR. 

Besides CW, my main interest is in SSB and RTTY.  Will this CAT setup work for those as well?
  • Craig McVeay
    Craig McVeay Member
    edited December 2017
    I don't do CW myself but it "should" work properly there.  For RTTY, you'd have to set up any external software that you run but that part will be well documented since it has little to do with the SmartSDR.  Personally, I also run Fldigi through N1MM+ from time to time and that set up is covered in a host of YouTube video's and I'd be surprised if you didn't find several useful comments here the Flex Radio Community forums on setting that part up.

Craig
    N0CSM
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Norm, I'm not an N1MM+ expert, but here are screenshots of my setup screens. I've only tested these on two CW contests and they seem to work fine - Flex 6500 + N1MM v.1.0.5752.0 + SmartSDR v1.7.30. Also works fine with Maestro. Good luck! John AF3K imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks John.  With your help, I'm starting to get things to work.  The rig keys up and I'm able to send CW now.  I'll try Digital RTTY/PSK next.

I'm trying to get Fldigi setup as the decoder for everything.  Do you use a decoder for CW?  If so, which one?  
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Norm, I have Fldigi set up with the Flex too. I think there are setup instructions elsewhere on this forum - just be sure to use a different DAX audio Rx channel for "port audio caputre" in the Fldigi devices configuration screen than you use for N1MM. John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.