Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.7.30 locks up

2»

Comments

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Were you adjusting receiver filter bandwidth and center frequency by any chance? I had a 6500 on loan, running in its own clean Windows 10 environment with nothing else but N1MM+, and about 10% of the time tweaking the filter resulted in SSDR locking up and producing a high pitch tone. CW and Phone.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    In my case, at least once ( only has happened twice ) rig was just running along in receive. 

Lew
    N4CO
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    if you say so jay.. seems to me YOU were the one trying to take the ****, anyway , don't reply, im not interested in conversing with you.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    I just don't know why all these "Alpha" testers didn't catch any of this stuff. I guess it was 100% when they tested it for all those months. One guy even had 5 or 6 maestro's on a DXpedition and there were no bugs then???
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Dave

The Search function in the Community is next to useless most of the time.

However I narrowed down your 5000 hits to 60 hits by using Advanced Search

Searching for "locks+up".
    And filtering the results to only show activity in the last 90 days.
    v1.7.30 was released May 5, 2016

Filtering to only to show threads tagged as problems.
    Filtering to only show threads tagged as 6300,6500,6700 models, and SmartSDR for Windows.
    and then sorting so it lists the most recently created thread first.

At the moment, this thread is the second result. and there are only 6 other results found this year,

I just want to pass on the fact the the search function in the Community isn't good,

I'm not arguing.

This problem has been reported more than once since the release of v.1.7.30.
    It just hasn't been reported 5000 times yet.
    And it seems the Search gadget can't even locate any, other than your thread.

You did submit a HelpDesk ticket, right?

I don't have a Kool-Aid drinking problem, I'm not a member of any FanBoy club, which will be hard for me to prove, with 3 Flexradio's in my shack.

Your correct to complain when things go wrong.

I do.

Just did in fact. image

No harm, No Foul, No Offense, intended.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    While I didn't realize that (advanced search being better) I have found google does a quite respectable job. Likely hotbot or lycos or ask.com would do a better job than the built-in search engine. GetSatisfaction returns none when using their own search... get it? get it?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Walt

Your right, a google site search does a better job.
    GetSatisfaction Search, doesn't satisfy.
    Neither does. Customer Service at GetSatisfaction.
    When you want them to improve it.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This is what I don't understand Jay. Tim said we, Flex customers, should complain to getsatisfaction. Yet we aren't the ones paying them, so I do understand why we don't carry any weight with them. I don't understand why Gerald doesn't have a chat with them.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    a Google Site search of "1.7.30 locks up", resulted in only 6 hits.
    I tried search on the Community mirror on FaceBook That at least found this thread and 1 previous thread ...

http://getsatisfaction.com/flexradio/topics/is-anyone-else-experiencing-crashes-of-their-flex-6700-with-the-new-1-7-30-78-firmware 

So Flexradio seems to be aware of the issue.

So I guess Google is only marginally better, and Facebook is just another social platform, and neither are good as customer support platforms. GetSatisfaction has the content.

When the problems get reported on the weekends, we customers are left providing our own well intentioned (hopefully), efforts to try and help out. The same thing happens after business hours the rest of the week. sometimes that works, sometimes it just adds even more frustration. Threads being left open until Monday often get hijacked, and who really wants to read someone elses "opinions" about a problem thats causing them real frustration? How is anyone to know which replies to trust? Unpaid volunteer attempts at customer support  might be better than nothing as far as the customers are concerned, but they are unpaid, they don't have to get it right, they aren't paid to be nice, they don't have to abide by any code of conduct, as with most anything else you get what you pay for. What you get for free from strangers may only be worth what was paid for it. $0,00.

Still, I don't like leaving people hanging, when I'm pretty sure I can help out. But the people I try to help out are just as much strangers to me, as I am to them. How am I to know what weird personality trait or attitude I've got, is the one that will be something that triggers the next firestorm. I also tend to forget that most people probably don't follow the day to day traffic in the community. I forget that the reputation I think I've been earning, is mostly just imaginary. Why should they see any of my antics the way I intend them to appear, as a genuine offers of help. Many times I do rub people the wrong way. When that happens it's best for me to just walk away. I'm not doing it to earn my pay. They can try again with somebody else. I'm not required to be business like, I don't have to handle issues in a professional manner, and whats so wrong with having a little fun. I suppose I'm no less old and cranky than anyone else here is. I just don't take myself very seriously. I don't expect others to either. Most of my buttons are worn out, push most of them, nothing bad happens. but there are a few that might trigger unintended reactions. Those can't always be unpushed. I've had to learn to apologize, to admit when I'm wrong, and over use emoticons as clues. I'm not a fool, though I often act the fool in public.image

So if my silliness offends you let me in on it. Should you find it helpful or useful, click on the likes.

I come in peace.

Bearing Word Salad. image

73, Jay - NO5J 

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I honestly attempt to assist until it is quite clear the rock thrower is honestly not looking for a solution and is trying to play others for fools. My patience ends at that point.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I tend to use the same approach, learned whatever support skills I've got over 21 years with AT&T, I was the weird tech on the line that could magically just make things work, by sticking to the problem until the problem was gone. I had absolutely no involvement with the billing dept.image I was strictly Central Office Transport and Switching, Provisioning and Maintenance, I know how to yell, and be yelled at. I worked like my job depended on getting things right the first time, and it did. Very happily retired.image 
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    My sentence is not up yet nor am I eligible for parole. Hopefully I can get things squared away before then.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It really did seem like prison, perhaps the Prison Motif interior decorating had something to do with it. Cruising all over DFW late at night while speeding enough to be noticed, had me a little worried every time I spotted the police too. Although most were ok about it. They might know that we do maintenance work on all the 911 circuits late at night. They do know how clean we have to keep our driving records. Those tickets always end up in court. I never got stopped once. Even though the speedometer in my telco van was broken the day they assigned it to me. Hard to drive the same speed as the rest of the traffic. When it's just you and the police driving around.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    @Jay/NO5J
    "The Problem is leaving here just fine." 
    Wireless with Bellsouth, Cingular and in the end AT&T.. 
    Field Engineer, Switch Tech/Engineer , and end the end RF Engineer.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, Southwestern Bell, then SBC, then AT&T only the names have changed. the size of the crew was @30 when I got there dropped to 19 then 9, then 3 on days, 2 on evenings and just 2 on the graveyard shift I worked. then they added 5 more offices to cover at night, then they made us Free Range, ANY office in the marketing area anytime. split between 3 Comm Techs. 7 days a week if anyone was on vacation.
    Then I got a forced transfer to the 5ESS switching group in Fort Worth. Provisioning any and nearly all ISDN primaries east of the Rocky Mountains my last year and a half.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I never worked at AT&T. But I do concur on the, perhaps, well meaning but often incorrect help on issues. This is why I've started tagging issues I specifically want FRS to weigh in on as, "...FRS Only Please"
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The fix for the defect behavior of the radio locking (defect #3597) up will be included in the next release of SmartSDR for Windows.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Surely "...FRS Only Please" is called a help ticket? I agree that whenever I post an issue, I often have to sift through the (hopefully) well meaning but ultimately incorrect assumptions of other users but that is what "Community Enhanced Support" is all about? Among those assumptions, there may even be something useful though?

If I see a post "...FRS Only Please" I'm not sure that I could resist the urge to respond, regardless of whether I have any idea what the problem/solution is ;)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Let me address the Community search "feature".

1.) We are all spoiled by the advanced searching algorithms of the like of Google, Bing, Yahoo and others.  As such expectations are set high and frustration runs high when those expectations are not met.

2.) The basic search function in the Community has a wide set of parameters and with certain search phrases, will return a lot of results.  Using the advanced search feature will narrow the scope of your search and return more valid results.

3.) The Community search function also searches the FlexRadio HelpDesk and returns "hits" in the right-hand side bar.  Don't forget to use those too.

4.) In regards to #1, I personally use Google to do community searches.  You can do this by entering your search terms and the add "site:community.flexradio.com" to the end.  You get the best of both worlds; a powerful Google search that only returns hits from the Community.

5.) We have on numerous occasions complained about the GetSatifaction search function.  But we are only one of many customers.  While those who use the Community software don't pay for it directly, you too are GetSatisfaction customers.  FlexRadio is but one voice and one bug report.  Your voices number in the thousands and when published on their community (which is indexed by Google and others) it does make a major difference in raising the visibility of an issue.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    And that reaction speaks volumes Phil. Help tickets are for hardware issues, or suspected hardware issues. I was referring mainly to non hardware questions of a technical naturr, where I want a correct technical answer not some wise-in-himer retort. Someday, over a couple of beers, I'll tell you what I think of community enhanced.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I disagree Walt, help tickets are for hardware or software issues. This is a community support site. Exactly what form that support takes, is up for interpretation but if you want to contact FRS, I would say a direct email or submitting a help ticket is a better option. Being a community site means that you don't get to control who responds and when. 
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Only just seen your addition Walt, I have to admit that "community enhanced" can often have questionable benefit but "in theory" it means that more experienced users can help newbies with what to them are simple issues.....
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Phil, the sanitary version of my 'over a couple of Beers' remark is my view of precisely your last sentence above which, phrased differently, "if I see one request an official answer, I'll respond even though I don't understand the question". There is an awful lot of that going on. I rest my case.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I am going to clarify this sub-discussion.  if you have an issue, be it hardware, software or technical, it is never wrong to open a HelpDesk support ticket to get an authoritative answer. Period.  If you have a sales related issue, contact our Sales department, as we will not conduct sales business with customers on an open forum.

While we do our best to read every community post, in some cases it is just impossible to do so in a timely manner, so if you are expecting or needing a direct answer from FlexRadio, using the Community is not the reliable way to achive that goal.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.