Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.7.30 locks up

DaveC
DaveC Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just had my 6300 lock up. SSDR froze, and a steady beep from the speaker. I had to hold the power button in for about 5 seconds to get the radio to reboot. Running windows 10 radio is in CW mode. 1.7.30 has been running OK. I installed it about when it was released. I usually run the radio about 16 hours a day with no problems.

Don't expect a fix, just reporting a lock up for the benefit of everyone.

SOAP BOX TIME:

BTW when I did a search on the above title I got over 5000 hits. I am not going to read 5000 post.
Very hard to find answers to problems that may have already been addressed. Makes for a poor user experience. 

I am a little disappointed in the quality of the software. It seems like things that use to work now have problems and reported problems have not been addressed. It also seems like Flex is more interest in the networking of the 6000 so someone sitting in their backyard can operate their radio  with their iPhone, rather then worry about the actual quality and reliability of the radio. 

This is my opinion only. The service people have done a great job. Have always help when problems a raise.

Comments

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Have had it happen myself. :( My hope is  now  we have MAESTRO ( I HAVE ONE ) FRS will move on and work on software issues. I purchased my MAESTRO so I would have KNOBS, I DON'T need all this networking stuff, but I DO need a radio that works as it should. :)

Lew
    N4CO
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tim posted in another thread that this is being investigated. Maybe a fix will be available soon. I have not had the problem here since turning off DAX and shutting down FLDigi (which also disconnects the CAT connection) a week ago; maybe there is a connection (no pun intended) between themy.
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Had same problem - 3 times this weekend in 4 hours of operating time using 6700 and PC interface.  Is there a log file or something we can look at to give a clue?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Disclaimer: there is no way I am going to install 1.7. Nor will I install any release for, likely, at least a month after release to gauge it's in field reliability. However, I have had that problem and it was RF induced. To that end: Ensure you have a solid single point ground. Ensure you have a very short path to earth. Add ferrite where there are long runs and at the radiator end of your coax. ARRL has good articles on the subject that do not involve product marketing.
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the thoughts.  Its probably not RF as it is on receive and just locks up.  Also, same setup for 6 months plus without this issue with no cabling, ground, antenna changes.  Guessing it is software related.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    went back to 1.6.21 - it may have problems but at least I can run it month after month without it failing on me.

But I do not have a maestro and I do not do remote stuff - so it is an alternative for me.

All my hopes for them to chase out the nasty buggies for the next release.

Cheers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hmm, I agree, tough to have an RF problem when in receive only.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I concur Walt. It is my sincerest hope the last point release of 1.x is a bug squashing effort only.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited May 2020
    not  even got my radio yet ( comes tomorrow ) regretting buying it already .. at THESE prices it should be 100 % rock solid !
  • Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited May 2017
    Same here had it happen three times! Disappointing to say the least
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Hi Rob.

In just over 12 months of flex ownership, I have had this happen exactly twice (my 6500 is left on 24/7). Whilst it is annoying when it happens, I don't think that is too bad when you consider the complexity of the equipment?
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    <<<< at THESE prices it should be 100 % rock solid ! >>>
    I suppose that would be a reasonable expectation... if you were purchasing a rock ;-) 

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I actually was running 1.5 before upgrading to 1.7. 1.5 was very reliable and I knew what issues it had. I only upgraded because I did not want to get too far out of date. I skipped 1.6 all together. 

BTW I was not transmitting, only listening. So NOT an RF problem. I have run many hours of CW and JT9 with no issues.

Thanks for comment.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    I agree 100% . That has been my gripe with them all along. Get it 100% bug free and work on options. Instead it gets put into bug tracker for further investigation and "possible fix in next version. I am disapointed in my maestro after waiting almost a year for it. It is sitting in the cabinet right now. Of course flex isnt listening.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    perhaps, im just a bit bemused be certain aspects of Flex products.. I will better judge once I own one .. UPS **** couriers ..
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    While I don't drink FRS Kool Aid, or any other brand Kool Aid, I think for most part FRS does a good job with product. I do find it a bit disconcerting that so many problems / issues / enhancements were side lined while working to get Maestro developed and released. My Maestro works, for most part, as I expected. Now if FRS will resolve cw latency and get Maestro WinKeyer to link to external programs so I can junk my external WinKeyer I'll be impressed.

Lew
    N4CO
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Well you can make a lot of contacts with a rock, if your aim is any good. Just remember, that the harder you throw, the more likely it will be that you will be able to retrieve your rock. and then use your rock for the next contact.

When I started out in amateur radio, I must have misunderstood the importance of all the rock throwing which I see more and more amateurs embracing as best practices.

Because of this I've had to really work on my ducking abilities.  

That's what it's all about bigger, better, and faster rocks.

SDR == Software Defined Rocks

OK, I get it now.

Rocks ... Because we really can't, just all get along.

73, Jay - NO5J image
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    you must not get out much, its a British expression meaning something does not **** out and crash at t the 1st sign  of hard work..
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited January 2018
    Open a support ticket with Flex.  They helped me with this issue.  My lock up was an easy fix.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Rob

How very British of you, thinking that I have such a limited understanding of the English language. Maybe it's you that needs to get our more.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited September 2016
    For what it's worth I'll contribute my two cents. I love my flex 6500. I think it's one of the best radios I've ever owned. I guess I just expect more out of a $4000 radio. All that being said I couldNt be happier.and I realize SDR is still in its infancy and some re and I realize SDR is still in its infancy in some respects. That being said I guess we should all expect some bumps along the road. I think the people at flex are doing the best they can.
  • Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited April 2020
    I did this and was told it was a software issue. They then converted my ticket status to "resolved"
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Being that it was an easy fix, that should be also easily explainable, eh?
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    This is my main gripe with FRS support, "resolved" generally means, "we know what the problem is and will fix it soon". 

Personally I would prefer that tickets with the same problem are given another status so that people with the problem can be kept informed with progress on a fix, maybe even then providing a test build but FRS don't seem to work this way?
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Good point Walt ! Why NOT share fix with rest of us ? Not much help around on weekends, not that I expect there should be. 

Lew
    N4CO
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    whatever jay, whatever,, your the passive aggressive one who just could not keep it shut.. not me..
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    yep, that's an old trick..
  • Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited September 2016
    Everybody remain calm its all good
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Whether it is a 15 person staff, a 30 person staff, or a 13,000 person staff; there is only so much you can do in a day, week, month, quarter, year. I've worked, in software engineering, in start-ups and very large organizations. Projects need to be prioritized. The smaller the company, the more revenue focused, they have to be. That said, allowing the bug list to grow very quickly leads to an unmanageable situation.  I am sure FRS is keenly aware of that. I would also suggest having a software induced product freeze up is a sev-1 bug, especially compared to having nicer decorators on graphical controls, the later being a request not a bug.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Rob

Well you started it ...
    Didn't you.
    Perhaps you can figure out how to stop it.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.