Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Battery Size

Claus, OE6CLD/EI7JZ
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Hi all, I meanwhile understand that 2.1A from the power bank will be enough. Now I just wonder if a depth of 0.8" (2 cm) will fit with the cover closed. I can order a Polanfo 12000 mAh at Amazon in Europe, but most of the more powerful power banks have a depth of 0.8" (these would offer about 3.5A and up to 20000 mAh). Unfortunately many power banks don't have an auto start feature, but now that you can't' charge the battery within the Maestro, it's not really so important anymore. I have seen that someone else mentioned the Jackery Titan 20100 in a different thread, which has a depth of 0.8" (2cm) as well. Just wondering... Waiting for my Maestro to arrive in the next 14 days... 73, Claus, OE6CLD

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have buyed 2 power pack at EBAY.DE . They fit well in Maestro, has 20.000 mAh and price was app. 16-17€ each.

Maestro not charge any(!) power pack but you can change at operation easy the power pack. Maestro has a internal small battery; so Maestro switch not off.
    So it's a must to buy minimum 2 power pack - and maybe a car charger for smart phone to charge your pack's "on the road"

73 Chris
  • Claus, OE6CLD/EI7JZ
    edited June 2016
    Thanks Chris,
    I know already that Maestro does not charge the power-pack as planned at the beginning. I only need to know if 0.8" (2 cm) depth still will fit with the cover applied.

There are a lot of 20000mAh powerpacks availabe on Amazon (both .de and .co.uk), but usually these are 2cm (0.8") - some are even larger. What brand did you buy on eBay? 

Claus, OE6CLD
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Claus, it's a Noname. Only the sellers label (company in DL: Selectec GmbH) is on it. My power pack dimensions are: 124 x 69,7 x 15 and had 20.000 mAh. Search Ebay for: Selectec Power Bank
    If you want a picture send me an email mycall@gmx.de
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I tried a 0.80 inch thick bat (using a 0.74" bat with 0.06" padding) and it will fit BUT one would want to remove the straps and some pads on the inside of the case as the thickness causes back cover to be pushed out.

The back cover has a rectangular rib for strength, the inside dimension of this rib is 3.00". Therefore a wide bat has to be a couple mm narrower than 3.00" to fit.

YAL - Yet Another Link
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/maestro-max-battery-size-is

• Claus, OE6CLD/EI7JZ
    edited May 2020
    Thanks to both of you, and also for the link. Apparently I missed this one when searching the forum. This one can be ordered at Amazon.de as well. I will wait for this until I have my own Maestro to see how it fits. Portable operation is not my main topic anyway.

I mainly want to use my Maestro for contesting and to operate my Flex 6500 from my home office. My main computers all are from Apple (iMac 27, iPad Pro, ...), only the PC in my shack is still a PC. I am using dogparkSDR at the moment to remote connect, but it's not the same (although already very good). And I'm waiting for the release of the RadioApp from Marcus DL8MRE to run it on my Ipad Pro :)

Thanks again for your help!

Claus, OE6CLD

• Claus, OE6CLD/EI7JZ
    edited June 2016
    By the way, I ordered one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-DoSHIN-50000mAh-Power-Bank-Aerospace-Aluminum-Akku-Ladegerat-2XUSB-LCD-/351479184676?hash=item51d5cabd24:g:rrEAAOSwcL5XNkIE I'm curious if this will work (and about the capacity). 73, Claus, OE6CLD
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

The maximum size spec from Flex is (in inches) 6" x 3" x 0.75"

Dave wo2x

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    We hold these two pieces together using the handy mans secret weapon, Duct Tape
    -Red Green

Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
    (group recites)
    I am a man, but I can change.
    If I have to, I guess...
    -Red Green 

When it ought to work, it probably will.
    You first, have to want it to.image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4OcW4NPW78#t=138

73, Jay - NO5J           
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Claus,
     Hold off on ordering the Aukey unit from the link I posted. I have been using it with reasonable results but there seems a problem. Testing Voltage / Current draw using a Drox USB Vold / Amp meter in line with the USB power connection, the Aukey eventually settles down to a 1.3 amp current flow. With the Mogix 14000 the current is a steady 390 mAmps.  Can't determine why such a large difference in the current pulled from the two of them. Till this is sorted out (if ever) I'd avoid the Aukey. It does work to charge a tablet and smartphone however.

Tim

• Jack Nelson
    Jack Nelson Member
    edited June 2016
    Good evening all. It's Sunday, and Amazon just delivered 2 Polanto 12000mAh batteries that fit just fine. i'm charging them right now, though they were both over 90% charged. I think they are going to be just what the doctor ordered. The Maestro is BEAUTIFUL!

Jack K5FSE
    ****, GA
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ... found another one that fits: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50000mAh-External-Power-Bank-Backup-LED-Dual-USB-Battery-Charger-for-Phone-D...
    and that's for 10.74$ incl. shipping
  • Claus, OE6CLD/EI7JZ
    edited June 2016
    Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the update. And yes, this was my plan anyway. I will give the Chinese 50000mAh DoShin power bank I ordered a try. I will measure the current flow and let you know. I don't expect much for this price but maybe - who knows :) If this will not work I still can use it to load my phones/pads - and I always can go with the Polanfo power banks which are available in Europe as well.

Claus, OE6CLD
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2016
    Be careful. If it is not an auto start battery then you will need to push the button on the battery every time you want to use it.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry your wrong. Have 2 power pack here with push button and using with success and without pressing this button in my Maestro.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2016
    Most of the packs are auto start. I am just saying this pack we do not know yet.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.