Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Have a problem with Frequency Stability.

I have a new 6700. When listening to cw, the tone varies up and down, like the frequency is not stable. You can see the movement on the waterfall as a curve in the signal trace. The frequency shown does not change.. I have checked the power supply, an Astron 50amp, and the voltage does not change. I have not tried to transmit, just receive.

Comments

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Do all the signals on the band wander along with the one you're listening to? (I have not seen either behavior on my 6500.)
  • Presley, W5PD
    Presley, W5PD Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes. All the signals in the waterfall move at the same time in the same direction.
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    This seems very similar to the problem I have had with my 6700, except I noticed it on WSJT.
    My 6700 has gone back to the "doctor" at Austin to sort out the problem.
    Ross  ZL1WN
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Very odd and unexpected behavior. A few diagnostic questions.... Do you have a flex control knob or Maestro connected? Do you have a mic plugged in to the front panel connector? If so, remove all of them from the circuit and test just using your mouse to select frequencies. You want be sure that it isn't something amiss in a peripheral device before you go packing the rig up to return. Sometimes a poorly installed mic plug, or one accidentally inserted upside down, can mess with the up/down contacts on the mic connector. Or other glitches in external hardware can cause errors. Eliminate these and see if there is still a problem. If it persists, you might try uninstalling SSDR, rebooting the computer, rebooting the rig, re-installing SSDR, rebooting computer once again. (Convoluted, yes, but that is computers for ya!). Then see if you still have a problem. If it persists, open a help desk ticket. FRS service may have more ideas for you. If it is cleared up after that, then add one piece of equipment back at a time and see if it still works, until you find the one that messes it up..... Also, Do you have the GPS option installed? Is it working properly? I just thought of that.... Good luck. Ken - NM9P
  • Presley, W5PD
    Presley, W5PD Member
    edited June 2020
    I do not have the mic plugged in. I just hooked up the unit today and was learning about how it works. Also, no flex control knob and the Maestro has not arrived here yet. 
    So I have been only using the computer.

Also, I did remove and reinstall the software, no help there.
    Before that, I did reboot everything. no difference.
    I will try it again in the order you suggested and see if that works.

Also, no GPS option installed. 

Help desk ticket it looking like the right path.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok. When you reboot the radio, I would suggest powering it down, and turning off the power supply until after you have reinstalled SSDR and rebooted computer. Then turn rig power back on. I don't know if it always makes a difference, but I have sometimes had Dax or CAT interaction when installing a new SSDR if the rig is powered up during it. (It could be coincidental....)
  • Rick - WC8D
    Rick - WC8D Member
    edited December 2016
    I have experience exactly the same problem on my 6700, almost right out of the box.  You will need to send it back to Flex for the fix.  It is a hardware problem.

RIck
  • Presley, W5PD
    Presley, W5PD Member
    edited June 2016
    I agree!
    Will contact FLEX on Monday.
  • Presley, W5PD
    Presley, W5PD Member
    edited February 2018
    I have opened a Help Desk Ticket.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    This ended up being an intermittent hardware issue that was resolved via the HelpDesk
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oh do tell!
    It would be interesting to know what caused this if it doesn't violate any rules of privacy at the Federal / State / County / City / Municipal / Village / Community / HOA levels. 

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It was a hardware problem.  Exact cause unknown because we have not completed root cause analysis.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    H/W problem...  ok - got that part.

Sounds like  it was solved remotely - a loose something or other?
  • Paul Christy
    Paul Christy Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have this exact problem. It occurs at least on 10 & 20m. Didn't see it on 80 or 40. Happens on Maestro and computer. Can you tell me what to do? Paul Christy WB9QAF pschristy@yahoo.com
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
     Can you tell me what to do? 

Do what Presley did; open a HelpDesk support ticket.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Try changing the 6AU6 VFO tube to a 6AH6

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.