Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro fixed angle foot

Barry N1EU
Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Suggestion to Flex: provide better install instructions in the Quick Start Guide for the fixed angle foot.  "Attach the included fixed angle foot to the back of the unit using the provided screws" is inadequate.

Provide a diagram and a method for inserting the screws.  There are round cutouts in the angled bracket that I guess are supposed to be used for a screwdriver blade to reach the **** heads but the holes are only properly aligned to pass a screwdriver blade for the center of the 3 screws.  This method doesn't work for the two side screws.  Is there an error in the design of the bracket  or was I supposed to bend the bracket until those round holes somehow lined up?  I ended up using a right angle **** driver for the two side screws.  Installing a simple bracket like this needs to be a no-brainer for new owners who unpack their Maestro and want to get it all hooked up, and it isn't.

Answers

• KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited June 2017
    Better yet provide an adjustable foot for this product. I find the tilt has a lot of glare from lights and have resorted to putting a deck of playing cards under the back to tilt it differently. I found the side screws had to be put in by hand then use a really narrow screwdriver to tighten. They could have done a simple quick release slide on similar to the D710 head which would habe helped for thr Go-Kit configurations.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I had no problem fastening the fixed bracket with a straight screwdriver. I think it is already
    a no-brainer. Also adjustable feet are provided as an option. After I had things set up, I
    installed the adjustable feet which are well worth the price. Again their installation was a
    no-brainer. If Flex were to provide them, they would have to raise the base price. There is
    no free lunch. I'm just glad they offered the item.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    no brainer for me to attach the bracket.

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It has been so long since I installed mine, I don't remember it being a big problem.  I didn't have to hunt down any special tools at all.  Maybe my screws were Philips.  I will have to check when I get home.   
    I think for me it was a no brainer.

Mike va3mw

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Based on these responses, I suspect my bracket offset angle was out of spec.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

You have my interest piqued - is there more than one pattern of fixed foot? 

The fixed bracket is press brake formed, which should make for pretty uniform product for a given setup.

I was initially fumbling with the third Maestro I unboxed (helping a friend set his up) as the others had the hinged-feet with them, so I never installed the fixed bracket.

I didn't have any problem passing a cross-head **** driver through to the ****, but it didn't seem like there was any easy way to pass the **** on the driver tip through and hit the holes on the side two screws. 

Right with you on a picture/diagram being a great addition showing the assembly.  I rather instructions "treat me ****, than unexpectedly expect brilliance" - so putting more information, especially graphic/photographic is a great idea.

Speaking of seeing adding so much to words, any chance of pictures of your particular bracket to show the problem?

Steve K9ZW

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the reality check Steve.  All the previous "no-brainer" comments had me doubting my original post.

I will try to post a picture later today after work.
  • Mark - K9MQ
    Mark - K9MQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    It's best to have the power button pointed towards yourself with the backside of Maestro flat. I inserted the screws into the bracket first and then put the **** driver through the three holes.  Was fairly easy.

imageso.    
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What is shown in the photograph is impossible on the Maestro/bracket I received.  It works on that center hole but not the two holes on the sides.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    that may explain a few things.  :)  Can you post a pic?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@Barry - will be very interested to see your pictures later, as there must be more than one pattern.  If the holes are different enough that the alignment is different, you wouldn't necessarily have much chance to pass the screwdriver through.

I never even pulled out the fixed foot bracket for mine, so I will do that after work out of curiosity.

Steve K9ZW

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Playing with it again now and a thinner shafted screwdriver works for all the holes on my bracket.  I was using one of those replaceable tipped **** shafted screwdrivers last night when I was having the problems.  So all you guys were correct.  Sorry.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

The base is an unusual design and perhaps a later update could include ovals large enough, as when Barry mentioned this I first went to use the same sort of all-in-one tool and had to go find a thinner cross-head **** driver to use.

If the attach bolts from the fixed bracket to the Maestro were knurled thumbnut-headed or winged-headed the installation would be pretty much tool-less. That would make the take-off of the standard fixed foot easier.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to add a couple ****-down (say 3/8") holes  in the fixed foot to allow screwing/bolting the bracket down to a station table top.

Glad the mystery was so easily resolved by using a straight-shanked screwdriver!

And thank you for sharing as it put a lot of minds focused on the fixed base with some nice suggestions coming out of the process.

Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.