Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Graphics card features

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
What features does SSDR use in a graphics card? I am just playing about with some settings of  my nVidia 630M on my laptop and SSDR. Many of the settings involve antialiasing and texture filtering and I just wonder if SSDR uses these features at all and if so, what the internal settings are. I say 'internal' as there does not seem to be a way for the end user to tweak them.

TIA es 73 de Guy

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Guy

You want to make sure it supports DirectX10/11.  It really does not utilize any 3D features.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Neal,

It does. But it would be useful to be able to know what parameters in an nVidia driver can be adjusted to either the benefit or detriment of SSDR performance. In other words, I would like to know what I can do not only increase performance, but also what I should not touch. I only have nVidia cards here as they were the best **** for the buck at the time of purchase.

There are many user-adjustable settings.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I don't believe there are any relevant parameters. The parameters I can think of relate to 3D rendering, ray tracing, hidden lines etc.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Guy, I suspect that if there were settings that would positively improve a system that Flex would have let you know by now. For the most part, exposing these settings is for game tweakers who want the feeling of being in control. I doubt they do much but the exposure of the settings makes the gamer feel better!

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Neal,

The thing is that some of those settings, left at their default, could be detrimental to performance. Most of the settings are of the quality of image/performance type.

Would still be useful to get a definitive view from Flex.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Guy - perhaps email FRS directly?  I'm with Neal that there has never been any indicator of any advance feature needs.

There are two things to remember "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" and "The Enemy of Great is Better."

Unless FRS comes with a specific tweak suggested or needed, my system gets left alone.  Nothing is more frustrating than doing damage in error.

BTW exactly which card(s) do you have? 

Steve K9ZW

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Steve,

On laptop, I have nVidia GT 630M and Intel 300 HD. SSDR works FB on both, but I run it on the nVidia. On my desktop, I have an nVidia GTX 760. I only thought about asking after a recent driver update when I was configuring SSDR to run on the nVidia card in my laptop.

I tend to go by the rule that if it is still working, I have not tweaked it enough!

I'll see if FRS comments here for the benefit of others.

73 de Guy
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2018
    In general, use the default settings.  Other than the article reference below, we don't recommend changing any default settings.  https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/203095129

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Tim,

It is that "In general" that intrigues me. Does SSDR not use any of the appearance-enhancing tricks that games use?

I am already using the 'trick' referenced in the article.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hey, that is my article! :)
    I would like to add an addendum to the piece... every time you upgrade SmartSDR you have to do the process described in the article as you are opening a new .EXE file.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    That is a good point Salvador. It is that, the multi-reboot process (my desktop does not require a reboot) and the fact that each release nowadays seems to be enhancements for just-released games rather than bug fixes that stops me updating with each driver release.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is that "In general" that intrigues me. Does SSDR not use any of the appearance-enhancing tricks that games use?

No.  We just use the graphics acceleration capabilities afforded by the WPF programming environment, .NET and DirectX.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for that extra info Tim. That tells me what I need to know to configure  my graphics card(s).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.