Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro locked up during boot up

Bob  KN4HH
Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Maestro
Trying to deal with the frustration of useless wifi operation of my Maestro, I tried a different router. The router booted up normally and Ethernet and wifi was present.  I then applied external dc to the Maestro and began to boot up.  The maestro detected the wifi signal and I successfully signed in to the router.  The maestro detected the Flex 6500 and then I selected the software version.  The maestro screen went blank for some time.  Then, the basic GUI for both slice receivers begin to appear.  At that point, the Maestro freezes  and eventually, a windows 10 style error message appears saying that Maestro is not responding.  Removing dc power is the only way I have been able to clear the screen.  I have repeated this several times and I replaced my test router with my Asus RT-AC87R and the same results are observed.  I have tried using Ethernet cable, wifi, and "Both" connections with the same results.

Comments

• Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016
    Bob, I understand your frustration. I did have some network issues with my Maestro but believe I have now solved them. My Maestro is connected to a Ethernet switch, along with my 6500 and my PC. For some reason I interpreted the instructions as meaning that I always had to have wifi connectivity for my Maestro....and despite connecting via LAN there would be occasions when it would switch across to wifi (which isn't brilliant in my shack) and then cause poor network performance. I eventually sussed out that dont 'need' wifi and you can ignore connecting via wifi, and just go straight to the page that connects radio to Maestro via LAN (doh!....slow learner...). Ever since then my LAN connection to PC and 6500 has been rock solid. Not sure if this helps... Paul M0CVX
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    For those that are haveing wifi problems... dropped packets, audio dropouts...
    One thing to try...
    If you Wifi router has a 'Mixed mode','Wireless N only','wireless G only' options, try running with 'wireless N only'.. It might help.. reboot radio/Maestro after making the change in the router..

AL, K0VM
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for all the great comments regarding this issue.  After many hours of pondering my issue, here is what has transpired.  I let the Maestro sit powered down for two hours.  I booted up the Maestro and this time not only did the boot up complete, the network quality indicator on the Maestro showed all green bars.  After admiring the super WiFi connection to the flex, my eye was drawn to my cable modem which indicated that I had lost my internet service.  As soon as my internet service was restored, the Maestro went back to it's old mode of one red bar and choppy audio, etc.  I unplugged the coax to the cable modem and behold, the Maestro began performing flawlessly.  Does this mean that I have a traffic log jam from  outside my LAN?

Is there a way to see if I am generating too much traffic on my network which is competing with the Maestro.  In my case, it does not appear to be a wifi issue but rather a traffic issue.

Keep those great suggestions coming.

73, Bob, KN4HH
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Sounds like something coming in from wan is trying to clog your network. Does your router have an active firewall and is anything on your network open to port 80? For some reason my aquarium controller came configured on port 80 which is where all the crud on the internet tries to go. Maybe something else is....Just a thought
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Thanks, Steve,  for that suggestion.  I have a limited number of ports forwarded for my VPN.  I never thought of blocking unwanted ports.  Do you or anyone know how to tell what is tying up all my bandwidth.  The router firewall is active.

Bob
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well, I found the culprit.  I don't understand why.  My Raspberry Pi appears to be hogging bandwidth on my LAN.  When I power down the Pi, the Maestro network quality indicator go to all green bars.  If I boot up the Pi, go to the GUI mode and execute any application, the Maestro quality indicator goes to one red bar.  Power down the Pi, and all green.  However, if I shut down DAX and DAX EQ and reduce frame rate to 7 fps, the maestro will continue to function and goes to two yellow bars.  The more I learn, the less I know.....
    Bob
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    One last data point and I promise no more on this subject.  Today I decided to change out my Asus AC-87 router with a Netgear AC-1750 router.  WOW! what a difference.  The netgear router has no problem accommodating all my devices on my LAN and running my Maestro on 5Ghz wifi with all green quality bars continuously displayed.  I even streamed video on two of my LAN pc's while running the Maestro  and all green quality bars continuously being displayed.  The stats on the network menu of the Maestro are showing a latency of 1MS and a Maximum of 3MS, 29 dropped packets out of 300K under heavy traffic conditions as described above.  These same conditions duplicatred using the Asus AC-87 router produced either no quality bars or one red bar at best and very choppy audio and extremely jerky slice receiver display.  Shutting DAX off and reducing frame rate to 5fps did not help with the Asus.  With the Netgear, I can run 25 fps and DAX on and still achieve all green quality bars.  Obviously, one size does not fit all.
    Thanks for all your patience through the drama.

Bob  KN4HH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.