Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

heil pro 7 electret microphone

Dave - WB5NHL
Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
edited January 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Is anyone using a Heil Pro 7 with the electret element and the Flex 6500. I am using the AD-1-Y cable and turned on bias. I get no microphone input.  I measured pin 2 on the mic connector and it shows 4.9 volts with the bias setting both on and off!!!  

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    try using a stereo to mono adapter on the mic input jack and see if it starts to work.  This is how I got the CM-500 to work.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I think it needs to be mono.  I use a Koss SB25, which has an electret element requiring bias.  It didn't work until I used a stereo to mono adapter.  I use the Heil cable adapter with this headset.  I like it because it is light, fits me well, and has great frequency response.  I can also use it with Parallels to run the 6500 remotely.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The mic connector from the Pro 7 is 3.5mm mono.  The phones are 3.5 mm stereo.  Yes, this is the way I've plugged them in.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    From another posting

There are two sources for Bias on the 8-pin Foster connector: 
    There is an always on 5V sourced through a 560 Ohm resistor to pin-2 as shown below. 
    You can also turn on the Mic Bias in the GUI that turns on a 2.97V source that is applied to pin-8, which is the microphone hot lead.

I've made sure the mic connector is properly connected to the Flex.

I've checked both of these and they are there.  I have also used a friends Pro 7 and AD-1-Y cable with no change, still no mic input.   I also used my Pro 7 with my IC 7100 (with appropriate Icom cable) and the headset worked fine.

I'm getting close to the end of the rope hi hi.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I had an issue with a profile setting turning off mic bias?  
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Dave, I have had this issue occur and I had to remove the Foster connector, re-insert it, push, wiggle it, and was ultimately successful. There seems to be a slight spacing issue that surfaces at times. Once the sweet-spot is found it works well and works reliably as long as a profile doesn't disable bias unexpectedly. 
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Yes I'm sensitive to the Foster connector issues. Last night I did some more testing. I confirmed the pin 8 bias on the Foster. I then confirmed the bias across the connector in the AD-1-Y cable. I then confirmed the bias voltage on the pins of the electret element in the headset. However, with the electret element installed I see no bias. Voltage drops into miilivolts.  I know the element is good since it works on my IC7100.
    I'm beginning to suspect the bias source in the Flex???
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Nailed it down.....  Problem with bias source.   A friend measured his bias voltage with the element installed as 1.57v    Trouble ticket here I come.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.