Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I seem to have a problem with my Maestro?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I haven't had that much time to play with my new Maestro, because the 1.7 firmware crashes my 6700 too frequently.

I have been able to use the Mic 2 input without a problem (using my 2Q-lite lightweight headset - very nice, by the way), but I can't seem to use the RJ-45 Mic 1 input. I thought that it might be my RadioSport RJ45 adapter, so I ordered an 8 pin to RJ-45 adapter from Flex, and used it to attempt a mic input using the same 8 pin adapter that works fine directly connected to my 6700.

No joy.

Is there some little hidden setting that locks out my Mic1 signal, or is my Maestro just broken?

Also, I got a pair of adjustable legs, and one of them seems to be missing the glue-on rubber feet.

...and maybe in some future Maestro firmware update the selection of wifi access points can be less arbitrary - my Maestro seems to think that the access point at the other end of the house would be better than the one 6 feet in front of me.

[Bleeding a bit here, on the "bleeding edge"...]

Roy AC2GS

Comments

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Roy,
       In the Maestro  TX menu, you shold be able to select M-Mic1 for the Mic1 input on the rear of Maestro.  The other thing is that the Radio PTT input will over-ride the Mic selection in Maestro....
    i.e. Radio PTT will select a radio Mic input, Maestro PTT will select a Maestro Mic input..

In the Wifi chooser, you should be able to 'forget' the undesired wifi access point and then select the one you wish to use..

Flex will likely send  you replacement feet if you ask.. ( Help Desk, Sales, etc.)

AL, K0VM'
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Al.

I am well aware of the selection of M-Mic 1, M-Mic 2, etc. Unfortunately, although I select Mic 1 and made sure that the bias/boost settings and mic gain were correct, my Maestro shows no audio from my M350 mic on my RadioSport Headset (which works fine directly connected to my 6700).

The PTT shouldn't factor into this, I have the Maestro configured to show mic level on receive.

The wifi list should allow at least a user sorted list - I would like to keep my living room access point's password in Maestro's memory, in case I would like to operate it their. "Forgetting" less used access points is not an elegant solution for the design limitation.

I am very happy with Flex support, and I am sure that they would throw some rubber feet in the mail in a heartbeat, but at this point I may need a replacement Maestro, so I thought it would be best to correct the big problem before the much smaller one.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016

Roy,

Which cable are you using with the RadioSport? I know with the CS6-MAE cable I need to have both the mic and phones connectors plugged in as the ground for the bias is in the phones plug. This cable works fine but I need to turn on bias in the Maestro from the main menu/Phones/CW. I also use the +20 dB with the M350 element.

Possibly the cable and adapter you are using do not have the RadioSport ground connected to the proper pin in the RJ-45. I'd suggest contacting Dave at Arlan Communications. He is very helpful.

Dave wo2x

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Dave.

I may have solved this problem (mostly). I happen to have another RadioSport Mic "on the truck". I swapped my M350 electret for an M208 dynamic mic and things seem to be working.

I assume it isn't something wrong with the bias setting, since my 2Q-lite uses a bias in the M-Mic2 port...

I wonder why my Maestro doesn't care too much for my M350 mic???

With every answer comes more questions...
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well, I discovered the reason for my problem. The RadioSport RJ-45 adapter is NOT configured for bias power as sold. It requires the end user to unscrew the three screws holding the back of the adapter's Y connection, which then reveals a pair of small slider switches which must be changed in a not that obvious way, to enable the bias current for the electret mic element. Dave of Arlan Communications explained it to me in an email. Perhaps this information should be posted on their website and in the literature included with the product?

It reminds me of Arthur Dent's condemnation notice in "Hitchhiker's Guide", except that the back of the "Y" connector did not have a "Beware The Leopard" sign on it.

For now, I'll just use my dynamic mic element on the headset.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Glad you got it figured out. Dave wo2x
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    A tech note on this will be added to the HelpDesk shortly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.