Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.7.30/32 Winkeyer sending wrong morse!

Phil M0VSE
Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
edited July 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I worked my first CW contest with the Maestro/6500 and N1MM+ tonight and found myself having to repeat my callsign many times and lots of people came back with 2E0DSK (not 2E0DSQ) I assumed that it was simply QSB/QRM but one of our club members recorded our QSO and although the sidetone was definitely correct, his (very clear) recording sounds very much like 2E0DSK! There is also a definite pause before the first 'dah' of K so that I guess is what is making it a K instead of a Q. It doesn't happen every time but it was enough to be a problem.

I have uploaded the audio to my web server so anybody that's interested can hear.

I'm not sure what to do for the best, maybe go back to my external Winkeyer until this is resolved as it isn't fair on other entrants who are going to drop points because I am sending the wrong callsign!

www.2e0dsq.uk/images/2E0DSK_de_G4SGX_RSGB80MCC_CW_20160519_201959Z_3.5MHz.mp3

73 Phil 2E0DSQ

Comments

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    having this recording is very useful to the developers while troubleshooting.  assuming you were using the flex 6000 winkey emulation in SSDR CAT? 

your short term solution is sound while some of these bugs get fixed.  It's what I did.  This stuff will get dialed in pretty soon but a hardware winkeyer in the interim makes sense.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    listening to the audio its sounded like 2E0DS ..then a gap and then a K

what in your message memories .. is the K coming from N1MM and your missing a character in the message memory?

I've not had a problem with N1MM and SSDR around CW memories

It might be something simple

Cheers

Simon
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    It was my F4 callsign macro that I was sending and that is definitely correct as most times people come back with the correct callsign so I can only assume it is intermittent. I also watch the TX stream at the bottom of the ALE window and N1MM+ thought it was sending 2E0DSQ! 
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    theres a definte pause like it came to the end of the message and then went to the N1MM handover ie K

I'd run it with no txpower and have a listen on FDX or a local rx and see whats occuring - perhaps some delay in the comms causing it - did u set up the macros from the instructions here in the community pages?

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yes I will try that Simon thanks. The macros are just standard N1MM+ macro files as I am using the Flex Winkeyer CAT port so there shouldn't be anything special to setup? As far as Comms delay, I can't see how as it is simply sending and ASCII string to the com port. My macros don't send a K so my guess is it is the Q but missing the first dah!
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    so your keying an ext keyer??

There was some setups that allow you to use N1MM and the CWX memories for N1MM and the associated macros ... I used that and its performed perfectly - there's something going on with the comms if its an ext keyer - have a look for that macro set up - I'll see if I can find it too !

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    No i'm using the Flex built in Winkeyer emulation that has been available since 1.6.... I might revert to the CWX method though as that 'used' to work fine!
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    ahh ok - not used the 'new' method - not recall seeing any issues of it dropping chars .. but can't say I tried it yet :)
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Your external Winkeyer, definitely.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Just to confirm this, I tried the test that Simon suggested and it seems to have a problem every other macro. The WinKeyer support in N1MM+ is pretty robust so I suspect it is something specific to the Flex implementation although I can't get DM780 to exhibit the same problem? Here is a video. You will notice that alonw with sending 2E0DSK alternately, it also sends 2E0DMQ at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rPqo0BZ4g

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I just did a similar test with DM780 (HRD 6.3) and it was similarly intermittent although it was pretty random what would be missing!
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Phil, look at my comments here and on the HRD forum on that problem:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/winkeyer-and-hrd-dm780-character-spacing-character-...

73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes I saw your comment Alex, I will try it and report whether your fix also works for n1mm+ but dm780/n1mm+ work with every other Winkeyer so I suspect that the problem is still a flex one?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Phil, as both CWType and Log4OM work flawlesslay with the SSDR software
    winkeyer, I am sure that it's not a Flex but a HRD problem. If you look at the
    HRD forum, you'll find a lot of posts (lots of mine, also ;-)) about winkeyer
    bugs, although they were mosty hardware ones.

The HRD DM780 program works very well with both of my hardware
    winkeyers: The microHAM DigiKeyer II, which uses the K1EL chip
    http://www.microham.com/contents/en-us/d164_DKII.html
    and the CW Keyer by G4ZLP
    http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/DigiMaster_CW.htm

Both of these keyers are just great and permit the use of a paddle
    to seamlessly change from automatic CQing to a chat.

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Maybe I have just been unlucky as the only two programs that I routinely use for CW, N1MM and DM380 both exhibit this problem? My G4ZLP keyer worth flawlessly with both so I have gone back to this while the issue is resolved. I wonder if log4om/cwtype perform a more comprehensive initialisation than DM380/N1MM+ which would explain why your fix works? I may have a play with a serial port sniffer and try to compare them. 73 Phil
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I would still say that it 'is' a flex problem as the issue doesn't occur with a real Winkeyer, only with the 6x00 emulation of one. This indicates that there are operational differences between the reference hardware implementation and flexes software emulation even if it is possible to work around the problem by using other software first. 73 Phil
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok, Phil, you're right there: it's a combined Flex and HRD problem.
    That won't be easy to solve :-(
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's easy to solve when there's a hardware WinKeyer sitting on Phil's table.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    While Flex has the WinKeyer code open - Please see if N1MM+ CTL+T (Tune) can be activated.  Such a common function doesn't work - apparently by design.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I document this Stan and see if its something we can implement
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    All there is definitely some bugs and known issues that are currently in remediation with the SSDR winkeyer emulation. Developers are working through a number or these issues now and hopefully will nail them down.   Reviewing a number of the posts in this thread shows lots of them tied into the same issues the team is aware of.   Having a solid and properly working winkey emulation is a top need for contesters as well as all cw operators and its being treated with high priority.

hang in there..   technicians are working on the problem.  :-).
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Real quick Chris. The only issue I have with the winkey emulation and n1mm+ is the buffer feature seems to need more attention to detail. In other words, when I type in the prefix of a call or there a bouts into n1mm+ entry field then select enter (enter sends message enabled) then type in the remainder of the call, the call is not sent smoothly. It is as if it emulation skips a beat or stutters, however, the remainder of the exchange is sent perfectly. If my typing skills were better and I could quickly type in the full call and hit enter then the call along with the exchange is sent flawlessly. This only occurs when I am utilizing the buffer feature. Just wanted to make sure developers are aware.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The more likely culprit is the winkey emulator. N1MM+ with a real hardware keyer (eg microHam MK2R+ and DigiKeyer) works flawlessly.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Yes this sounds like a defect in the Winkey emulator and is similar to some others I have seen.  Wintest treats cw differently than N1MM and it stutters as well.   I will test for this to confirm during cqwpx this weekend to verify and ensure its listed as a known reproducible defect.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.