Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skip

Ri
Ri Member
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
For some reason I'm getting character skips when sending CW. It seems to be mostly Dits that drop, but on occasion it is a Dah that's dropped. I haven't yet figured out whether it is just the sidetone that's dropping out or if there is real RF dropout. At first I thought I had a problem with my Bencher key so I checked connections, adapter plugs, and even switched to another key and cleaned the contacts. Nothing has solved this problem so far. I believe I've seen one other post about this but I find it hard to believe that this is a problem that can't be addressed. It certainly needs some attention or CW operators are likely to move to another radio. My Flex 5K handles CW better than this 6300 and there must be something I'm missing. I don't believe this was a problem with earlier versions of SmartSDR but I could be wrong. Is this problem also appearing in the 6500 and 6700? Any suggestions?
Rick, W2JAZ

Answers

• Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes this issue has been reported previously. Welcome to the club. We were hoping this would be fixed in 1.7.x but it was not.  The only thing we hear is "it will be fixed soon".

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-6300-missing-random-dits

Us CW users are a little miffed atm.  

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Andrew, as I stated the last time it is in the near term queue and considered to be important.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One other comment. This is in the side tone and not on the air as I understand it. I apologize that it did not get fixed in 1.7 since it was not a problem in 1.5.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    TNX Gerald. I appreciate the reply and knowing its in the cue. I don't recall that it was a bug in earlier version s so I also appreciate that and knowing its only dropping out in the side tone.
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Gerald, I stated, "it will be fixed soon", as per your last comment on the other ticket.  Needless to say, operating CW is troublesome when you cannot hear the dits/dahs. It doesn't mean it's any less frustrating for us Flex / CW ops.  I even linked to the post with your reply on it to give proper context to other users who might visit this post.  
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have a 6700 and I have the same problem but I've always thought the cause was my **** fist.....   Geez, Is it true that it could be a software issue?  I still think its my fist......
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's likely not your fist hi hi
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    On the plus side, there were apparently some changes in the debouncing a while ago that has dramatically improved my CW using my old Vibroplex Bug! 
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Good to know maybe I'll get my bug hooked up
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    I could be wrong but I thought that most of the people having the issue were 6300 users.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Maybe so as thTs what I use, the 6300. Strange that it doesn't also show up as a bug on the 6500 and 6700
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Its on all flex 6000 and is not just limited to the 6300.  Its in the queue to be fixed with a high priority context.  we cant really ask for more from the team at this point.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.