Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Transmit Audio Report

Philip KA4KOE
Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I got on 40m last night with my friend WA4IRE Marc in Port St. Lucie, Florida, 7290 KC, using AM mode. I was running the Flex 6300 barefoot with an Electrovoice RE320. Here is an excerpt from Marc's email to me this morning:

"Outstanding audio! Excellent RF single band compressors! Your high frequency looks just like a 40 meter broadcast
station on the spectral display!!!!!"

Bottom line, the audio system in this radio doesn't need a rack of equipment to sound good. I run a lot of AM on vintage gear. I hooked up the RE320 to the radio using one of K9EID's patch cables for a Foster-XLR connection.

The intelligibility of my signal was such that he could still understand me when band conditions deteriorated and I was almost in the noise.

I obtained the RE320 last Christmas. It seems to fit my voice better than other microphones. Great microphone!

Philip, KA4KOE

Comments

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Philip,

Agreed, the 6300 is awesome!

I've always wondered and you seem like a good candidate to ask: why would anyone ever run AM mode?

Seems like such a waste transmitting that carrier the whole time, then on the RX end, just deleting the carrier.

I'm sure I'm missing something. Or maybe it's just a historic tradition thing.

73s

N4GA

• Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    I played around with a friend on 40m one night and the compressor off and all 3 levels. i got great reports everyone said i still sounded normal just with a stronger signal. So much nicer than some rigs Proc.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What modulation percentage do you get on A.M.? I have never seen any specs on that facet of the radio.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    100%.  25W carrier.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well, Rob, it's kinda same frame of mind of the folks who restore and drive classic vintage automobiles. I used (1988-1992) to tool around in a 1966 Mustang Convertible, ivy green metallic, black pony interior, 289 V8, dual pipes with Thrush turbo mufflers, Eldebrock Intake, Holly 650 4 barrel carburetor (when I was courting). So, why drive an obsolete, yet VERY COOL car that is not fuel efficient, tends to fishtail in slick driving conditions, and is a deathtrap if you get in a bad accident??? ....cuz it's fun, sport!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnKwQVJN5A

Yes, I'm insane.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nothing like great AM ... it just sounds wonderful! Check out SAM too for some sophisticated demodulation.

What's funny is that some of the 75-meter clan with RCA, Gates, and Collins 20V3's are discovering that their little Flex 3000 sounds almost indistinguishable from the big iron. Amazing.

I've been into AM most all of my 50 year ham career and I must say that the Flex 5000 is one of the very best AM rigs ... ever. There's just something there that even my 6500 can't touch. 

W7NGA
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Why run SSB when you could run CW? Why run CW when you could run PSK31? Why use ham radio when you could use a cell phone? Why ride a motorcycle when you could drive a car? Why did the chicken cross the road? Why ask why?

73 de Mike W9OJ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There is a time and a place for everything. (in this case, a frequency) 

For many years, there have been certain frequencies that have by "gentlemen's agreement" been accepted as AM hangouts, especially on 75 and 40 meters.  They are well published and have been around for over 30 years.  Indeed, many hams enjoy the nostalgia of operating forgotten, or unpopular modes, just to keep them alive.  (I do, however, think that bringing back spark would be a bad idea.)

The 6000 series is a very capable AM rig, when adjusted correctly.  (EQ and COMP will be different than on SSB, that is why the new Mic Profiles linked to modes are wonderful!)

The 6000 is also capable of extraordinary performance on 4.5, 6, & even wider ESSB.
    I do it once in a while, but on on those frequencies generally accepted as ESSB frequencies.  I love the fidelity and clarity that wider bandwidths can offer, just for fun.  

But I get frustrated with those who think they should operate 4 or 4.5 kHz wide EVERYWHERE.  3 KHz is the standard maximum bandwidth for most of the ham bands.  

I usually run about 2.9 KHz (65-3000) for my rag chew group,
    For DXing, I run a little over 2.7 for DX (165-2900)  
    For Contests or big pileups, I run 2.4  (300-2700)
    and on the Flex, it is only one pull-down menu click and I am on my way!

Versatility is wonderful!

Ken - NM9P
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Why be so dumb? Just kidding! :)

Look, you can make a case for a lot of things. Even CW. If you were ever stranded on a island with a 1W solar powered transmitter, CW would be the best thing.

A lot of things you can't really make a case for. What's the case for AM, besides nostalgia? Maybe it sounds better for HF DX music? I seriously have no idea.

What purpose does the carrier have?

Playing with the 6300, the broadcast stations seem to sound a lot better just using USB or LSB and listening to just one side of it.

N4GA
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Roger that W7NGA, and you have a lot of of my call letters in your call. So carry on. :)

N4GA

W7N4GA

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Philip Neidlinger

I understand. If you build solid state amps like I do, (and maybe you do), AM would definitely not be on your roadmap!

Key down - no thank you. Ha ha! 

Tubes are much better for that situ.

• Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Gotta mix it up to convince myself I am not just an appliance operator but an elecktickle injuneer.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Philip, any comments to pass on about the 6300 receiver?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.