Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro and Access Point

Mark - NU6X
Mark - NU6X Member
edited May 2017 in New Ideas
I am using an old 802.11g  router as an Access Point for my Maestro. This may be an old idea but I just came across the following  site:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

I'm am a little network challenged but even I was am to accomplish this. My Router is located about  75 to 100 feet from my ham shack. I have Cat 5e to the ham shack  but I wanted the flexibility of a WIFI connection to my Maestro. The Maestro connection on either 2.4 or 5 ghz was NOT reliable to the main Router. 
   I took an old wireless g router, disabled DHCP and changed the LAN IP to 192.168.1.2. I also set the WIFI channel to channel 11.  I connected one of the ethernet inputs from the old router to the Cat 5e run from the main router. No connection was made to the old  WAN input. 

This may be old hat to the  network gurus but was new to me. 

The Maestro  works perfectly with zero dropouts. 

Mark NU6X  Sedona, AZ

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Another method is to use an AV Ethernet adapter connected to the 120 V AC power line. This unit transports Ethernet to a remotely located AC outlet. Connect another AV unit to the outlet and you will have  an access port available on the AV Ethernet output. From this you can connect a another wireless router  This antic takes the place of a very long CAT-5 cable.

Jim, K6QE

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

@Jim

Really bad idea... I found that using 120VAC lines as substitutes for Ethernet cables generated all sorts of unwanted noise and birdies in the HF bands... plus you are creating an unshielded ingress for RF from your transmitter to your network...

• Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Howard/Jim I know that Ethernet over power line has a bad reputation but I have had excellent results using this Ethernet extension application. Runs about 30Mb (speedtest) and feeds an Apple Express in another part of home as subnet. Your mileage may vary. Would that wall warts were as clean. Bob W5TX
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I bought a pair of those AC line Ethernet extenders and took them back to the store after finding the 30 meter band useless due to the interference. Different versions would probably effect different bands. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I had Ethernet over power line in our place in the South of France.. I was a totally RF Noise nightmare... Spurs all over the HF bands...So bad that I gave up using the IC-706 I had schelped with me from the USA.that I had planned to leave there permanently.  It was a major incentive to start using Remote iPad to Flex...
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Some of the adapters are better than others, I have seen some with 0 hf issues and some with big ones. This is another spot where length of wires comes into it.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Purchasing a commercial quality access point will solve many WiFi issues seen with the less expensive home quality equipment.  The network infrastructure in your QTH is the foundation for network connected radios like the Flex.  The difference in performance between a home quality WiFi router and a commercial quality access point is substantial.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Also some confusion about access point VS range extender they are not the same.

Access point is one ended only and ranger extender is a repeater which extender will add latency.

Similar Idea ,,https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/outdoor-wireless-access-point

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    And half your throughput too

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.