Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

fldigi Question

Ed, K0KC
Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
edited September 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a Flex-6700 running SmartSDR 1.7.30 and am using fldigi 3.23.09. I have downloaded and copied the XML files dated January 2016 to the appropriate location on my PC and have selected the XML file for Slice A in fldigi and I am using a single slice in SmartSDR.

I am able to make contacts just fine using a wide filter such as 2x4 or 2x3 in fldigi. If I want to QSY to the "sweet spot" of 1500 Hz, I just hit the QSY button and the signal of interest is centered on 1500 Hz as expected. If I then select a narrow filter, the filter is NOT centered on 1500 Hz and I, of course, cannot copy the signal. My question is therefore, how can I get the filter to center on the sweet spot so that I can take advantage of the narrow bandwidth? 

It has probably been a year or so since I have used fldigi, so am I forgetting something or is there something about SmartSDR 1.7.30 that has changed how the XML files work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ed, K0KC

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I presume you are using the DIGU mode.  What is the size of the largest preset filter that exhibits this behavior?
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Tim,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I am using DIGU. There are eight filter selections in Fldigi: 1x1...2x4 as you surely know since you wrote the XML files. If I QSY a signal to 1500 Hz and then select any of those filters, they start at 0 Hz rather than being centered on 1500 Hz. The only exceptions are 2x3 and 2x4 which cover the entire 3 KHz on the Fldigi waterfall and thus are centered on 1500 Hz (actually, 2x4 is a 5 KHz filter which must be centered on 2.5 KHz, but the span of the waterfall is only 3 KHz).

Ed, K0KC
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    That sounds like you are not using DIGU, but USB.  I just set my FLDIGI up and it is centering at 1500 Hz as it is set up in Fldigi as the sweetspot and in SmartSDR for the DSP offset.

Regardless of the preset filter, it centers at 1500 Hz.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Tim,

Fldigi indicates that I am on DIGU and the 6700 shows DIGU...anyplace else to check?

Are the January 2016 XML files the latest?

Ed, K0KC
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Tim,

The last time that I used Fldigi, I do not think the DSP Offset was available in SmartSDR. It was defaulted at 0...I changed it to 1500 and the filters are centered.

What is changed besides Fldigi with the DSP offset set to 1500?

Ed, K0KC
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Are the January 2016 XML files the latest?

Yes.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    The default DSP offset for DIGU is 1500.  Not sure of any mechanism that can change it except the operator of a FlexLib app.  Or you have not done a factory reset since the DSP offset was added and the default changed to 1500 Hz
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Tim,

I can assure you that I did not knowingly change the DSP offset to 0 Hz as I was not even aware that it existed. I probably have not done a factory reset since DSP offset was introduced.

My question was: will setting it to 1500 affect any other digital applications?

Anyhow, thanks for helping me solve this problem.

Ed, K0KC
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It should be fine for all narrow band digital Mose except RTTY and we have a special mode for it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.