Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FreeDV power output

EA4GLI
EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I was trying FreeDV on HF (20m and 15m) yesterday and the power output is very low regardless of the Power output that I select on SmartSDR.
Max power I get out of the radio is 25w.
I then checked AM and on 20m all I get is 16w.
On FM I get full 100w. Also get full power on DStar.

The voltage draw from the radio is also lower so it is like the software is using a governor.

I checked with a couple of 6xxx owners and they are also experiencing the same issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Remember on AM, for 100% modulation the peak power is 4 times the average power. The maximum average power you can expect on AM, therefore, is 25 Watts. 16 Watts seems very low. Were these power levels checked with a dummy load?

JIm, K6QE

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    No dummy load. I measured with the digital meter on the Expert 1k.
    I will check with dummy load.

What about on FreeDV? What power are you getting?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    Your radio is not broken.  For proper operation of FreeDV, you drive your transmitter to an average power of about 20% of it's PEP power. You do this because there is a 8-12 dB peak-to-average power ratio in the FreeDV HF modem. Over-driving will reduce the received S/N so we limit the power output in software.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thank you Tim for the quick response!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    De nada, mi amigo.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hey Tim, did you already made the arrangements to bring my maestro in person to Barbados? We are awaiting here with some nice cold drinks! :)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    The offer is very tempting.  I could use a nice cold **** drink about now.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    What do you mean offer?? It is a formal invitation. Get your **** over here, housing and sustenance is taken care of!! ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.