Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows update heads up

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Windows 10 just came out with another update, please be aware that it blasts DAX and CAT this time.  I'm still trying to sort out exactly what it did but my usual quick fix is not fixing the issue.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Mine is working here
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Here's a new twist on things.. attempting a complete uninstall, reboot, reinstall.... Uninstalled, rebooted, went to check things.. All the DAX audio stuff is back (I removed it) and the COM ports are back... removed those as well...

When you get the update you will know.. upon reboot windows 10 has a splash screen saying "We are excited to announce some new features" or something along those lines
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Did the update here last night and had issues discovering radio with ssdr, finally got it to connect. Not sure if other issues will be in the works? 73's Joe WD5Y
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Maybe Flex users should turn off insider ring updates on the computers they use with their 6x00's. It would lead to much less stress. Maybe for even more stress reduction enable Defer Updates.

Just saying.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If you are referring to the major build update 10586 (what in previous Windows versions was a service pack) I just went through that. It took me several uninstalls, driver removals, sound device uninstalls, and installs to resolve the DAX driver error at boot and SmartSDR start. I would suggest uninstalling selecting to have the drivers removed option using the Control panel - Programs and Features. Then check that all Flex drivers and devices are removed from the Control panel - Devices Manager under the groups: Audio inputs and outputs, Sound, video, and game controllers, and Ports. Reboot and reconfirm Flex drivers and devices are not listed. Run the most current release of SmartSDR install. Reboot and hopefully it runs without errors.

If that does not work then open a Support ticket with FlexRadio.

• Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited July 2017
    Did that update yesterday, yep it killed the DAX with all kinds of MS gobbly-**** error messages.
    But, no problem. Just 2x click on the DAX and CAT icons on the desk top, started up SSDR 1.6.21 and everything working fine including all my digital stuff, HRD, DDUtil, Log4om, etc.
    Looks like a case of Your Mileage May Vary.

Chuck

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

I've said this before and will say it again. Flex needs a program to uninstall this SmartSDR program for Windows updates.

Jim, K6QE

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, SSDR worked for me as well with the DAX error though I prefer not to have the error and the resolutions was not as straight forward as previous updates. At least for me.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    All Fixed... I did have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of everything then it still refused to work.. so I went through the manual install of all the DAX drivers and we are back in business.

@Tim if you are watching you might want to update this doc to include the MICAudio drivers as well with version 1.6.21 of SmartSDR
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew it was coming and there is a fix to get things back in order

Thanks

David
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Another Note to add...

Here is the update details that did it:

April 12, 2016 — KB3147458 (OS Build 10586.218)

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Improved reliability for Internet Explorer 11, .NET Framework, wireless LAN, Microsoft Edge, Windows Update, logon, Bluetooth, network connectivity, map apps, video playback, Cortana, USB, Windows Explorer, and Narrator.

• Fixed issue with connectivity of USB devices until OS restart.

• Improved discoverability of printers when a device resumes from sleep.

• Fixed issues with lock screen.

• Support for visual voicemail on dual SIM phones.

• Fixed issue with audio playback using Groove music and other music apps on a phone.

• Fixed issue with revised daylight savings time.

• Fixed additional issues with shutdown delays, Narrator, Cortana, roaming data usage, buying apps in the Store, video playback, facial recognition, Bluetooth pairing, Microsoft Edge, logon, Internet Explorer 11, Live Tile updates, .NET Framework, and Microsoft Installer (MSI).

• Improved security for CSRSS to address security feature bypass.

• Fixed additional security issues with Security Account Manager Remote Protocol, HTTP.sys, secondary logon, Microsoft Graphics component, .NET Framework, CSRSS, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer 11.

For more info about the security fixes in this update and a complete list of affected files, see KB3147458.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Note that Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, and Education edition customers can defer Windows updates if they choose. For more info, see Windows 10 servicing options.

I prefer to stay up to date
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This isn't an Insider ring update. It is a standard general public release that was actually Insider slow ring released in November 2015. Public release April 12, 2016.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/05/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    David is correct... see my post below about update
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Does anybody have other apps that break e ery time Microsoft sends an update? I certainly don't KNOW this but if this recurring issue is largely limited to ssdr, I'd guess there is a stronger chance the issue lies in dax code and uninstalling and reinstalling is just a getaround. Thought two: if people are willing to shell out an additional $1000-$1200 for a different UI, shelling out an additional $200 for a different OS (retail win7) should be a no brainier.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Yes Walt, I have had other programs that stopped working... one example with this update they removed my SmartFTP program because they claimed it was no longer compatible... Which by the way I had paid for that program.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The article has been updated.  Thanks for the heads up.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Guys-
    If you are participating in the "Insider" updates to WIN 10 this kind of thing has become routine.

The Insider updates are beta releases and will mess things up from time to time.

FlexRadio's software is not broken by insider updates as often as a lot of other programs, ham radio or not.

If you consider your shack computer to be "mission critical" get out of the Insider program and just be a regular WIN 10 user.

$.02

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is true but this update was not an Insider update.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mine also.  

It seems ( and I am not absolutely certain) that these Windows 10 updates seem to affect systems much more if they have been upgraded from Windows 7.  That was certainly my experience.  

Since I moved over to a Microsoft Surface Book which had Windows 10 natively installed, I have not had a single problem with SSDR with any upgrade - I just hope that I don't live to regret these words!

David G4NRT
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Here's the thing, as some( most) of you know I spent my working career in software development much of it as an ISV and some in internal software engineering. These companies paid Microsoft millions of dollars per year for support and new products. As such they received a certain deference from uSoft. When I was principally developing Windows apps I'd spend a lot of time in either Redmond or Bellevue, (uSoft university). We always knew what was coming, how it worked, and what exposure we, as a company selling a supported Microsoft platforms suite of products. That anyone not in that position would be running Microsoft beta software I find emmensely amusing. But that there are other isolated apps that are fragile neither means they wrote theirs correctly' or that ssdr for Windows doesn't have a problem. Professionally, I've never heard of this sort of brittleness/fragility in a product.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    David,

You may be on to the true problem.

Neither of my WIN10 machines were WIN7. I have a clean install WIN10 laptop and my main shack machine was WIN8/8.1 before it was "upgraded" to WIN10.

I have experienced none of the instabilities reported on this and other support forums. 
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Updated Windows 10 with all the April updates this morning with no error msgs and everything seems to be working.  Last year before upgrading from Windows 7, and also before updating to the November threshold release, I took the precaution of uninstalling SSDR, etc., per Tim's detailed instructions before the upgrades.  Since then I've applied each month's updates without uninstalling anything and have not had any problems. 

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I just did the April update a few minutes ago with no problems whatsoever.  FWIW, here's the method I use:  First, under the Advanced Options of Update, I have it set not to automatically install and restart, but to schedule a restart.  Then, about once a week, I shut down all of my Flex-related programs (which normally run 24-7), including fully closing DAX & CAT, and powering down the 6500. Then I go to W10 Settings-Update, tell it to search for updates and install whatever it finds.  If, after downloading them it indicates that a restart is required, I go ahead and do that, instead of waiting for the scheduled time.  Since I've adopted this procedure, i've had zero problems with port corruption with any of the updates, major or minor.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I have one machine, a Dell Optiplex 960, that has only had the fonting problem on a reinstall of Windows 7, then upgrade to W10.

The folks I have worked with that have issues have been a mix of updates and new installs.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I suspect that uninstalling and reinstalling is going to become SOP with Windows 10. A once a month ritual, perhaps becoming a real consideration.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Windows needs to quit messing up computers. Have users become so inured to this terrible practice that they think it's normal? 

As for deferring updates, I have W10 Pro, and it only sorta kinda defers. They pushed out an update that no on could refuse (I don't know if Enterprise got it) a while back, and reset a lot of my settings. Which I found out about the next time it auto-updated with no input from me.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Audio problems with W10 are huge, and after every update, on groups where people are using legacy radios with soundcards or outboard devices, we hear the hows of protest. 

Oddly enough, about half of them refuse to believe there's a problem because they run the Windows audio troubleshooting and it tells them it's all good. 

Even had a few get a little abusive with me when I told them to humor me and just try the fix. Oh, yeah, when they tried it, it worked. I ended up writing a wiki article about the fix, and now just point them to it. That fix usually doesn't apply to Flex users
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Bob, can you tell us how to keep from updating on Windows 10? I'm not talking about deferring, but not getting an update. 

You don't have ot be an insider to have W10 foul up your computer. And doing support of them since XP days, its just what happens. To the point where my place of employment wouldn't have big meetings the day after Patch Tuesday, Even when we had the reguar IT guys test them out first, they'd only test for things like Office, so it wa a circus. 

Kept me gainfully employed tho'!

Anyhow, I've considered a hardware firewall running Linux at home, to keep them out of my computers innards, and to block all of the phoning home they do, 
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    In Computer Administration go to Services, look for Windows Update, double click it and select disable, re boot and your done, no more updates.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Funny you mention XP Mike. XP was the most stable and robust consumer OS Microsoft ever shipped. IMHO, and many others. Unfortunately, what followed was a cruel joke, many failed attempts to get a working win7.

Mike, just use Linux, avoid all the scaffolding you have to do to protect yourself from Microsoft.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.