Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR Serial Number filter (filter.txt) file issue in Windows 10

Greg - K5GJ
Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
SUMMARY:

In Windows 10 with DEFAULT File Management settings, Creating a NEW text file will automatically append the '.txt' to the filename.  If creating a new filter.txt file for limiting SmartSDR access to certain radios, just use the name 'filter'.  Otherwise you end up with 'filter.txt.txt' .

GORY DETAILS:

Ran into an interesting Windows 10 issue with the filter.txt file used to point a PC at a Specific FLEX-6000 Series serial number:  

After navigating to the %appdata%FlexRadio Systems directory, I used the right-click/NEW/Text_Document shortcut to create a new filter.txt file.  You can now see the name "filter.txt" in the directory.  

Once done, I then opened the file and added the appropriate Serial number and was sure to hit SAVE then close the file.

I then started SmartSDR expecting to only see the 'filtered' radio... Alas, both radios on the network showed up.

After pulling what remaining hair I have, I got with Tim and we both discovered that Windows 10, being the always _helpful_ software, just ASSUMED my newly created text file needed a '.txt' appended to the name.  This created 'filter.txt.txt'.  SmartSDR is not looking for that file.....

It was a simple fix to rename the file 'filter' and let Windows 10 append the '.txt' to the name.  Mischief Managed.

Greg - K5GJ

Comments

• JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Greg, As a former "Softie" I just have to speak up and say that Windows 8 and 8.1 were just as "helpful" :-)
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Windows Explorer. View-> File Name Extensions. Done.
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Agreed.  Hence the note: "..with DEFAULT File Management Settings..."  In this case I was working remotely on someone else's computers who had just done fresh installs of Win10.  Most of us 'ancients' are used to seeing extensions but it looks like they are getting pushed farther into the background.  

Thanks for the additional tip for the ops out in radioland.

73,Greg

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I've installed Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.x and 10 now so many times that my fingers are numb. And every time I do this setting is one of the first things I turn off (or on depending). In Windows 7 you had to go to the Explorer Folder View settings and turn OFF "Hide extensions of known file types" and now in Windows 10 you have to turn ON that checkbox. MS is always trying to force us to use the OS the way THEY think we should, and not how we actually do.

I tend to save these kinds of things in registry update files. Another one for Windows 10 that drives me nuts is that it keeps trying to take over default programs even after I've installed for example Notepad++. I don't want Windows changing the default app to Notepad ever again, but it does. Here is the solution I use http://winaero.com/blog/prevent-windows-10-from-resetting-your-default-apps/

Danny
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @Danny & Greg, thanks for the tips.  Very useful information.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I NEVER use the "DEFAULT" settings for much of anything in Windows. In fact, during the 15 years I ran my own computer consulting and repair business, whenever I setup a new Windows machine, I had a list of many changes to make (including several registry tweaks) that I performed before releasing any machine to an end user. In fact, many of the complaints about Windows 10 "phoning home" to Microsoft are easily resolved with various reconfigurations, such as not utilizing an MS "Live" account (especially for login), or enabling Cortana or any of the newer Windows "features." I find that reconfiguring a Windows 10 machine to make it more like Windows 7 leads to simpler and more reliable operation. 73, Greg - N8GD
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Classic Shell is your friend.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree.  It makes Windows 10 easier to use!

Greg - N8GD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.