Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No Signals over WiFi

Steve Edgecombe
Steve Edgecombe Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Having a strange problem with my 6500 running 1.6.21. SDR works perfectly while running on a hard wired windows 10 PC. When I use the same OS on a laptop over Wifi I connect to the 6500 and can control everything but there is absolutely no signal. This worked fine a few weeks ago. I can't remember if this was before upgrading to 1.6.21 though.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Please explain further what you mean by "no signals?"
    Do you mean no audio?  or nothing shows at all on the panadapter, as if no antenna is connected?

If it is just No Audio, have you checked the "Remote Button" on the top right?  or is the AGC-T set improperly?

If it is that there are no signals showing on the panadapter at all, then you may have something in the remote computer's setup files that is changing antenna inputs?

Any other information you can give will be helpful.

Ken - NM9P
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Check your firewall rules on the laptop. You might have existing rules bound to a NIC when they don't need to be. Allow TCP AND UDP to the SmartSDR application from any address and on any NIC.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    If the radio connects using a wired connection, there isn't anything wrong with the radio.  I would look at you wifi router to see if there is any firewall running that is blocking UDP traffic from the radio.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    A quick test would be to just turn off the Windows firewall to see if it works. Then you know what needs fixin'. :)
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I had a similar problem and it was because my laptop's wireless interface at home was set for a public network. Setting it to a private network allowed the radio to show up in the chooser.
  • Steve Edgecombe
    Steve Edgecombe Member
    edited April 2016
    There's nothing wrong with the radio. I can connect and control the radio...change antenna inputs, filter widths, bands etc. There is just nothing showing up in the panadapter. I'll investigate some more today and get back to everyone. Thnx for all the suggestions
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited October 2018
    Any progress Steve?  I have the same issue
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lee, try turning off Windows Firewall. If it works afterward then you know where the issue likely is.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    I did.   Its funny, it was working before, then for some reason, windows decided to change my home private network into a public one, and I changed it back to private, thinking that would fix it.   No luck.

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    Same deal whether firewall is on or off.... 
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    Here's a clue that may help those at Flex to help figure this issue out:
    SmartSDR connects to the radio, but nothing shows in the panadapter or waterfall.  
    the radio responds to all commands, etc.
    ALSO: and this is the clue perhaps, but the DAX application shows no connections.
    buttons are YELLOW.

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    Any ideas?

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited October 2018
    So I have absolutely eliminated firewalls, both on the PC in question, and the access point/router, and the problem persists.   I have full green bars in the application, just nothing displays  in the panadapter. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled SSDR and DAX multiple times, nothing fixes it.

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's time to split the issue into parts for process of elimination. Startup Wireshark and see what packets you are getting from your radio's IP.
    Try uninstalling/reinstalling the Windows driver for the WiFi radio.
    Try to test from another PC.
    Try a different Wireless card (USB?) or connect another router wired to your PC and bridge it to the radio's network (eliminate your Wifi device).
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    Yes Wireshark was going to be my next step.
    It worked before, but stopped.   Eliminating Wifi is not going to work, as the whole point of this exercise is to use the high end tablet running windows 10 to operate remotely.  
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I wasn't suggesting getting rid of Wifi at all. I was suggesting using a different WiFi adapter either a USB or wire up an AP/router in bridged mode to eliminate the built in adapter. Cut the problem in half, and then half again etc etc.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Maybe the router providing wireless connectivity is blocking UDP?
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    EA4GLI: That's what I thought, but sadly, no.

Danny K2DMS:   Ok, I'll give it a shot!

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    PROBLEM SOLVED (for now)   Rebooted both routers and it went away..   odd

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.