Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

With my 6300 I have a "WNB" tab. I have turned it on and didn't really notice anything.

With my 6300 I have a "WNB" tab. I have turned it on and didn't really notice anything. Also when I have someone tuning up I put in then the ANF and tune the tuner upper is gone. But when some one keys up too talk the tuner up comes through.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    WNB - wideband noise blanker. Works best on wideband, "correlated" noise. A slider controls the algorithm, which does take a short time to figure out the noise. ANF - automatic notch filter. Identifies and notches a pure note. May "hunt" in the presence of other signals (such as voice). A fixed notch may be of value then. These, and many more really cool tidbits are in the extensive documentation on Flex site. Enjoy!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited October 2016
    I found that the WNB works best with noise associated with power lines.  Although my "shack" is in the basement of my house, I once had noise across the entire band which made it nearly impossible to RX anything.    I enabled WNB and it was like magic all of the interference completely disappeared.  
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have a similar experience to Don. As good as the SSDR noise mitigation filters may be, I get the feeling that they are too specific for a particular type of noise. Instead of wishing I had a certain type of noise, I would like to mitigate the noise I already have. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This is the problem with allowing the Flex to remain so open on receive. In software it is possible to drill down into a certain type of noise. In doing this, other noises may not be effected as well. This Is what many see happening, they have a certain type of noise that falls outside the intended target.

It would have been possible I think to make the noise mitigation blanket the whole receiver so all and any noise would be effected, but doing that would effect the receiver performance.

It seems some  people do not have wide band noise, electrical noise, power lines. For me 40 Meter band is un usable without the wide band filter.
  • Burch Akin
    Burch Akin Member
    edited April 2019
    I have had horrible power line noise at my QTH and on most bands, the WNB has worked pretty good.  20 meters would have been un usable yesterday without it.  I still think the NB is better on PowerSDR but the WNB has worked very well for me with my recent power line noise. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    " Instead of wishing I had a certain type of noise, I would like to mitigate the noise I already have".
    Isn't it funny how that works? I mean, seriously, in trying to figure out if/why it won't work on the obvious noise I do have here, I caught myself wishing I had noise it would work on. The goal is to not have any noise though. Yes, I agree it appears to be too selective on a certain noise 'signature', to the exclusion of noise others may have instead.  As we all have acknowledged, WIP. Although, while that was the case when many of us preordered the 6000 3+  years ago, do new purchasers share that sentiment.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The PowerSDR NB perhaps still is the "gold standard".

Ned,  K1NJ
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Maybe they should just reverse engineer the results of the PSDR filters. I know it will probably be difficult, but 'difficult' is what Flex does so well. Unfortunately, noise mitigation, like GUI enhancements, does not bring in the $s.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Your last sentence though is the real bottom line and, yes, I agree with you.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Walt,

In my post I said to reverse engineer 'the results'. I should have explained what I mean by that. If a PSDR filter can clean noise sample 1, then they should design a filter that does the same. Similarly with the other filters that they used for PSDR development. I cannot believe that somebody did not compare the noise mitigation of PSDR and SSDR at some point during the latter's development.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I sit corrected, sir! Yes, I agree with that as well.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It is not possible to compare noise reduction on two radios without feeding the two radios from the same antenna through a power splitter.  Anything else is anecdotal and cannot be compared.  

There is also no such thing as a single algorithm that works on all kinds of noise.  In fact some things we think are "noise" are real signals.  If you remove the "noise" you remove the signal of interest right along with it.  I find that there is a very low understanding of noise in general.  Not much time to explain it again since I am off to the IXDC convention.
  • Burch Akin
    Burch Akin Member
    edited May 2016
    I have done a test with a splitter (A/B antenna switch) with my 6500 and 5000A with the same antenna.  Before the WNB, the 5000A was much better comparing the NB between the two radios.  The WNB (with most of my local power line noise) is a huge improvement over the normal NB.  Still not as good as the 5000A, but much much better.  Without the WNB, I wouldn't have been able to work 20 or 40 meters this past weekend.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

@Gerald,

I have asked at various times before concerning how the 6K series works on electric fence pulses (real noise).  but am not getting much for definite answers.  Have you had a chance to actually test your 6000 series NB on this type of noise?

Regards,

Larry  K1UO

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

In my environment NB works very well in greatly reducing (although not completely eliminating), noise from my neighbor’s electric fence, which is the primary noise source here.   WNB has no apparent effect on this or most other seemingly “correlated” noise situations, but similar to others’ reports it has worked very well for me several times when wide swaths of the spectrum were temporarily obliterated by a very strong noise.   

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Can you elaborate on the fence pulse noise mitigation...   Does the NB take most of the pulse out,  say, as an example, S5 spikes down to S1?  or does it do that good of a job?   Fence noise is also my primary noise source so that is why the interest in the F6K NB effectiveness.    If the neighbors horse fence was not in such a bad state of repair I would fix it myself...  but apparently they plan on just continually repairing and splicing until they are just splicing the splices.  
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Larry -

NB takes out most of the pulses here.  In my case NB reduces the pulses to where they are still audible but not too annoying.  Subjectively I'd say NB is 80 - 90% effective here, depending on the antenna I'm using.

(BTW, I'm glad I successfully resisted the family pleas to get our own horse!) 

Howard

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.