Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running Smart SDR on IMAC

Luke Reynolds
Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I know this has been discussed in various threads but Im wondering about setups for running SmartSDR on my new IMAC. I downloaded the trial of parallels, but I dont have a windows disc to install the full blown OS. Is there a software that lets you just run windows apps in MAC without a full **** OS install? Thanks guys

Luke
wx4aa

Answers

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Try the native MAC app, DogParkSDR.

You can try it for free.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Otherwise you have to use something like parallels or I use Bootcamp for direct hardware addressing. Then a Windows OS install disk.   Dog Park is okay, some aspects are better, some worse. But as much as I hate Windows and enjoy all things Unix, I prefer SmartSDR. 
  • PB Shell - k7shl
    edited July 2018
    In order to run Windows programs on an iMac, you must have Fusion or Parallels installed so you can create a partition on the iMac and actually run the MS Windows program. ( I wouldn't suggest Boot Camp).  There's no way around it.  While you can run DogParkSDR on your Mac, it is certainly not the same as SmartSDR and you won't have the same functionality.  Get a copy of Windows 7 and install it and you won't have to worry about it.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    That's interesting. Why do you not recommend Bootcamp?
  • PB Shell - k7shl
    edited July 2018
    It requires restarting the computer to  switch between OS X and Windows - it will not run concurrently with the Mac OS.  With Fusion or Parallels both the OS X and Windows can be running at the same time so you can run simultaneously programs in each.
  • Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    So there is no way around having a full **** Windows OS install
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have been running SmartSDR with my 6300 since August 2014.  I've run it using Parallels (my favorite) and also running under bootcamp.  I've not seen it ever behave badly in either settings.  It just runs.  I also am a paid owner of DogParkSDR and MacLoggerDX.  There is very tight integration between these two native Mac Apps which is not found on any other platform.  MacLoggerDX also will run well in a window along side of FlexRadio SmartSDR.  There has never been a need for me to use a windows based logger (sans contesting).

I've since added a second monitor mounted above the iMac.  I usually have SmartSDR running on that monitor and my logging and other ham software (FLDigi, etc.) running on the iMac screen.
    SmartSDR is still more feature rich than DogParkSDR but having DX Spots show directly on the Panadapter ais a really nice feature.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    True, but I prefer the direct access and performance gains of Bootcamp. It's worth that reboot to me.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Correct, you have to have a Windows OS to access Windows, either in Bootcamp or Parallels.

I know how you feel.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.