Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mystery 10k wide digital mode on 3.950USB

Lee Maisel
Lee Maisel Member
went on continuously for at least 30 minutes. could be longer but i had things to do. looked and sounded like easypal, except it was a full 10k wide and well defined.

Its a mystery! image

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It looks like it could be a DRM shortwave broadcast signal.  I have heard one reported on the high end of 80 before.

Ken - NM9P
  • Steve Yothment
    edited April 2016

Yes, that's Digital Radio Mondiale.  Check the schedule here:  http://www.hfcc.org/drm/

BBC World Service is on DRM on 3955 kHz at 0500Z to 0600Z.

- Steve  W4OGM

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm I thought that too but could not decode at all.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited June 2020
    I am using DREAM  maybe I have the flex 6500 setup wrong?

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The last time I tried to use DReaM I couldn't get anything to decode.  Apparently I need to compile an AAC Codec.  After trying unsuccessfully to find one online, or an easy way to make one, I lost interest and went on to other pursuits.  

Apparently there are others who have had more luck and are enjoying DRM.  I would like to hear from them.  It seems like a good project for the Flex.  

Ken - NM9P

• Steve Yothment
    edited April 2016

I receive DRM with my Flex-3000.  I use the DRM Software from VT Merlin Communications and the decoding works OK, but the SNR has to be 15dB or more for a decent decode.  The signal on 3955 kHz shown in the picture above is too weak to decode. 

The downside of receiving DRM is that you have to pay a license fee to decode it, but once you do that you are ready to go.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.