Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Stopping Windows 10 Upgrades

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

I continually see posts on this and other communities about all the issues that Windows 10 is causing people especially since you end up giving Microsoft unfettered control of updates which can bust your systems... Plus W10 starts to convert you to Windows Edge and other W10 default programs that are not particularly desirable.   AND you could become subject to the W10 Revenue Model which will included annual service fees for installs on NEW (old upgrades are supposed to be free) devices like the Office 360 products...

For those of you who, like me, do not want to let Microsoft automatically upgrade (Actually for many its a downgrade) your computer to Windows 10, Gibson Research has a Free Utility to stop the nagging called Never 10... the benefit is that if you ever want W10, you just click on it and it starts the nagging again.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm 

Highly Recommended...

Comments

• Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thanks for the re-post Howard!

I remember you posted this awhile back, but I didn't get to it then and was just thinking "I need to search this forum for it".......and it popped up in my email!   Absolutely perfect timing.

I got it, save it and ran it.....................easy!

73,  Brent W8XG

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Actually I posted a different utility last time.. this one is safer and better
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have 5 Linux distros and (I had) 4 windows versions installed on my main PC. One of those was 10 that I used to play with just to keep up to speed about things. It was such a PITA that I have deleted it. It is not ready for prime time, I do not like the way it passes info to MSoft that one can only minimise but not stop and I miss many of the config options that MSoft killed off from v8.

I'm with v7 for a looong time.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Isn't it a pity however, that Windows has become the number one server of malware in the world, 

and that we have to protect our computers from their operating system?
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Howard thanks,
    I have used the GWX Control Panel on a couple of machines now after you posted,
    worked great once I figured it out, just took a minor amount of studying the extra buttons.
    Never10 looks to be much easier to use, excellent.
    My son-in-law says to tell you thanks, his gaming is no longer interrupted by the notifications, he's happy.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Resistance is futile : )
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hmmm.  I've not had such problems since I set Win10 not to install updates (aside from Defender) automatically.  About once a week or two, I shut down SSDR & all of the auxiliary programs, including DAX & CAT, go into settings, and have it check for updates.  With the radio off, I let them install, do a reboot, and I'm good to go without issues so far.  Actually, for the last month or so, Win10 has been far more stable than Win7.  I am now getting the occasional lockup on this laptop, but I attribute that to some yet unidentified network issue.  The radio server has been rock-solid.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I did the update to win10pro from win7pro about one month ago. I had zero issues with the update and zero issues with installing SSDR latest version after that update. I was concerned about subsequent win10 updates but did the same with settings. I just did my first update for win10 and did it with dax and cat closed. The update went fine and flex is still rock solid. I am happy with both.  Win10 seems far superior to me but I 100% admit that I am basically a software rube compared to most here. Ignorance is bliss may apply but so far so good. I will say, however, that win10 does appear to have many more opportunities to allow MS to datamine. Oh well such is life.
  • Bryan  N8WD
    Bryan N8WD Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks Howard! That was easy.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Quite ironic, isn't it?
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2016
    Crooks go after the biggest target. More chances to steal something. Were iOS or Linux the dominate OS today, they would experience the same level of attack. And people would be complaining just as loudly. As always, it's all about money. James WD5GWY
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    So you are saying Microsoft is one of the crooks?

While I have heard the security by obscurity argument, I don't quite accept it. Windows just isn't as secure as Linux or OS X. And since there are some exploits for both Linux and OS X, I'm more inclined to believe that the exploits are based on ease. There are enough of both other operating systems in the world, as well as servers, where Linux has an overwhelming number more installs, that the prime target should be Apache. I doubt it's foro lack of trying, more lack of success. 

Now that being said, Microsoft has made pretty good strides in improving itself in recent years.

But security through obscurity wasn't even my point. 

Its just that now we are casually speaking of installing software on our machines, to keep Microsoft from incapacitating our machines. 

Whereas we install antivirus software on our Windows machines to keep them from being incapacitated. 

The greatest irony is that this is accepted. That I have a machine that will actually stop working if Microsoft has it's way. Already weird things are happening, like blank popups that if you try to close them, you apparently have given them permission to install W10. Which is why very soon, I am going to emplace a hardware firewall to block everything Microsoft. I have to have a Windows machine to run SmartSDR, but I don't want to have to put up with their malware attitude.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.