Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need instructions to do a complete uninstall SmartSDR from WIN 10 short of reformatting HDD

Larry
Larry Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Microsoft forced a WIN 10 installation without permission on LapTop that had SmartSDR older version installed!  Need to do a complete uninstall SmartSDR / Drivers / etc. and then install the latest SmartSDR version.  Need to do this WITHOUT any reformatting HDD, reinstalling WIN10,  & reinstalling lots of APS!    Will existing instructions for complete SmartSDR uninstall work OK?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Tim, our resident and munificent genius has written comprehensive instructions on the uninstall. Just Google for the instructions. Also, but this is not official, I have had success in uninstalling SmartSDR using a third party program called Revo Uninstall Pro. When  you invoke this program, it not only does a "regular" uninstall but also scans for vestiges of Flex programs on the computer and eliminates them if you opt to do so.

Jim, K6QE

• Larry
    Larry Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Jim - Roger on Tim's procedures.  I did do Tim's procedure on a WIN 8.1 and that worked great.  So I assume that Tim's procedures are universal and covers WIN 10?????
    OK on Revo - I may have used that in the past but if Tim's procedures work specifically for SmartSDR that wud be better?
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    No need to use Revo if you follow Tim's instructions
  • Larry
    Larry Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks 4 link.  His procedure is assuming that u have not installed WIN 10 yet - however I wud assume that if procedures were different uninstalling SmartSDR from WIN 10 he wud have said.  Hopefully.  Microsoft forced WIN 10 install without permission so I was caught!
  • Larry
    Larry Member
    edited April 2016
    Roger - Thanks Ross...  Will probably proceed with Tim's instructions on WIN 10.  Looks like safe procedure per u all. Fingers crossed.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

In any event, Revo is a nice program to have on hand as many programs leave unnecessary stuff hanging around and it's nice to get rid of it. Good luck on your uninstall.

Jim, K6QE

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

In any event, Revo is a nice program to have on hand as many programs leave unnecessary stuff hanging around and it's nice to get rid of it. Good luck on your uninstall.

Jim, K6QE

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    There is a lot of that going around. I have a win7 machine on an mid 2011 i5 iMac, running in bootcamp. Even though the machine doesn't run bootcamp that supports W10, it keeps trying to sneak in on me. So as soon as it happens, I am SOL.  The latest trick is a blank window, that when you click to try to get rid of it, gives you the prize. I'm waiting for the install to happen as soon as I boot one of these days.

The fun part is that there are people who swear on a stack of Clark bars that Microsoft does not do this.  They do, and it is a criminal act.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    +1 for Revo Pro.  Tim's method works, but there are more steps that could be missed and Revo is even more thorough.  Plus, it's useful for cleaning up junk software that may be littering your HD.
  • Larry
    Larry Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks 4 info.  What if I do Tim's method that is specific to SmartSDR and if no workee - run Revo Pro? to clean up any remaining bits?  Assume that Revo and SmartSDR r written to certain software specs to b smart enuf to identify 100% of SmartSDR pieces / Drivers / Services / etc... to delete....     ???? 
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    -1 for using anything to do the uninstall other than the (automatic or manual) uninstall procedure provided by the software developers.  This goes *double* for anything that includes one or more drivers.

Many of the standard Windows Registry entries for system software programs like drivers are undocumented, internal use only, and subject to change.  Uninstallers frequently make assumptions about these entries and how they're used.  When the uninstallers work, they can make for a slick and comprehensive uninstall.  But you're playing dice with your Registry.  Works today... but does it work after the next service pack?  Does it work under all conditions? 

Just the opinion of one humble software developer who hates to see unsuspecting users get themselves in trouble,

Peter
    K1PGV
  • Larry
    Larry Member
    edited April 2016
    Tnx Peter,   Well said!  Very good advice!  If I read u correctly - Tim's method shud be best since it is based on specific software SmartSDR etc. Drivers ...  Tim's method worked perfectly on my WIN 8.1 OS for upgrading SmartSDR - no glitches!
    Hope that it works as well on WIN 10 with older SmartSDR. Will let u know. I thot I wud ck 2 c if the existing old version SmartSDR in WIN 10 was working and got error indication that I needed to back step software to make it work WEIRD!  I am going straight to uninstall soon.  When WIN 10 was forced install (NO PERMISSION) on my system - that caused major problems!   Tnx agn 4 advice.....

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I also was caught with a unsolicited win 10 upgrade.  Pretty much followed Tim's procedure but did not uninstall Flex control or VSP.  I answered NO to retaining DAX.  I took off every other SSDR related item in control panel and rebooted, then installed a fresh 1.6.21.77 and added my CAT ports and DAX speeds manually.  Had me a cup of coffee and some radio fun.  Now that the upgrade is over I'm glad it's upgraded

73  W9OY
  • Larry
    Larry Member
    edited April 2016
     I did do the Uninstall as close as I cud and at this point the radio does come on line but DAX channels need work with running EasyPal.   DAX is just not easy!   Another dilemma appears to be that I had to update the 6300 b 4 using it with my WIN 10 LapTop.....  but when I go back to my desktop cptr running WIN 8.1 it says I must downgrade 6300??????  Does this mean that every time I change OS I have to change downgrade 6300?   Anyone run into this?
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    It means the laptop and desktop are sporting different versions of SSDR.  SSDR exists in the radio as well as on the computer.  If the versions in the radio and on the computer do not match you will get the down/up grade message.  Simply normalize the versions across all platforms and this will be resolved

73  W9OY
  • Larry
    Larry Member
    edited March 2017
    Tnx Lee - Makes good sense since SSDR versions in Radio must = Cptr SSDR version match..  Glad it was not OS dependent.  Next step with WIN 10 LapTop is unscramble  DAX / Ports. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Larry - you can always open a HelpDesk ticket and get assistance rather than hacking your way through the issue.
  • Larry
    Larry Member
    edited April 2016
    Tnx - I try not to cry wolf & then if no go submit to Help Desk.  One common question - do we do anything extra special like uninstall previous SmartSDR versions when up grading to latest version with no OS changes?  It looks like programmers wud design next version to look at old version hard files (not settings) and replace old with new and delete old Icons....  U probably answered this many times - sorry abt that - but just in case..... Super thanks for Help Desk support!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    You should never need to uninstall a previous version of SmartSDR before installing a new one since each version is its own independent version.  However there are exceptions to the rule, like when a software change is made that is not backwards compatible and in that case, uninstalling first is a good idea.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.