Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VK0EK expedition

IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited March 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
In the end I had Heard Island in my log.
My 6300 worked flawless this morning, as usual indeed. I zoomed in my panadapter at the maximum signal to noise ratio. I could see their signal before listening to them. It was a matter of two calls as soon as the propagation was up. It happened both in 17 and 15 bands and I am very very happy for this 9300 miles away contact.
I firmly believe in a pc-less Flex usage, but I have to admit I could never have these contacts without the amazing and unreplaceble pan.
Five stars for Flex People! Thank you very much.

Enzo
iw7dmh

Comments

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    works for me everytime! find a hole .... work out the pattern ... in the log first / second call 20/17 and 15 CW /SSB :)

def very happy as a DX radio .. love my 6500's

:)

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    What will ever happen when dxpeditions and rarer dx figure out many people 'cheat' by using aids, like skimmers, such that the op can discern their pattern. I suspect what will happen is they'll start being random rather than sweeping up then sweeping down. Clearly aids like skimmers put the average op at a disadvantage with the highly predictable dx op. Once the op becomes unpredictable that puts the non-aided op at an advantage. As they, at least used to, say in Boy Scouts, "the best way to be found when you are lost is to not try to hide (stay put)".

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I disagree with the characterization that using "aids" is cheating.  To cheat, you have to violate some agreed upon set of rules or regulations.  I know of none that disallow using "aids" like spotting programs and skimmers; it isn't a contest.  If you take this to an extream, you could declare using a FLEX-6700 is an unfair advantage because it has the best receiver available, high-resolution wide-band panadapters which allow you to monitor 8 bands that the DX is working at the same time and beat the pileup when the bands open.

In my book,  any advantage achieved by using available technology (or developing your own) more efficiently should not be discouraged.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And conversely, for some the challenge is to make the contact with self imposed limits.  (i.e. QRP, wire antennas, mobile operation, etc).  

Many of the DXpeditions are now promoting an ATNO day and some of the new tools show you contract confirmation in real time help to prevent duplicate QSOs. Both help to get more folks in the log especially those with little pistol stations. 

IMHO there is plenty of room for all, and in the long run technology advances providing choices for better radios, tools and techniques. 

By the way, it was still some work to get VK0EK in the log but the Flex radio and CWS were a big help!

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.21.77
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.21.159
    Win10

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Tim, that's why I had put the term in quotes. I realize it's not, strictly speaking, prohibited except a few contests, I believe. But, I suspect, even in those people do cheat.. 'Well everybody does it so, therefore, so can I '. It's capitalizing on technology to display predictability in ops, an advantage not uniformly available to all. If it were, there would be no point as there would be no advantage.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    "It's capitalizing on technology to display predictability in ops, an advantage not uniformly available to all"

but its never going to be available to all ... I am not really following this thread now ...

Does the station who can run a 6 / 6 at 130ft have an advantage over a 100W and wire antenna station? .. sure .. its like any sport .. if you have the $ you can gain an advantage but the skill is still with the op. A fool with a tool is still a fool!

I run 1KW and a hex and I have to compete from the bottom of the world - the 6500 gives me an advantage in that I can see where the DX is working people .. and they don't care if they are predictable ... they WANT to work people. They will remain fairly consistent else they won't make the QSO's that make them $'s to go.  

My aim is to get myself in the log for 1 QSO as a minimum on 1 band - anything more is a bonus!

The pandapters and filters mean I can make the QSO easier than not seeing what's going on - no way I will ever buy a radio again that does not have that!

I'll use every means I can - in the bounds of my own moral judgement ( I know in my own mind when a QSO is valid or not(!)  and my licence conditions to do so!

Don't see anything wrong with that :)

Now to the FT4 mess!!!

:)

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I do like the DXA website. I think it great you can see your contacts and eliminate the 'did he hear my call sign right?' Saves insurance contacts. Maybe more could use this idea. Wayne
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    "They will remain fairly consistent...", are you referring to the dx op's predictability? If so, they can be as random as they want, they have hundreds, perhaps, eager wannabes trying to make a 2-3 sec exchange with them. I was commenting on skimmers, not panadapter or filters, and certainly not Flex 6000s
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    DXA has been a great success and my QSO's were in LOTW cfm within a couple hours ... Can't be happier - its been a great success from my side
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    They can be .. but my experience is most dxped ops are not .. they usually sweep up and down picking off the ones they hear in their window ie VK0EK listening 125 to 135. There is no need for them to be random - just swinging from top to bottom or vice versa - on the other hand I want to be random .. find the holes are they move and try get a QSO - it's usally pretty good for a medium sized pistol - I don't have the fire power yet to just choose a freq and be head and shoulders above the masses .... yet!!!
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Heard Island has been challenging.  I managed to snag them on 30m and got the instant LoTW QSL. I landed FT4JA this morning on 15m, but with the current band conditions and nothing more than a Butternut vertical for the low bands and a 30' high Hex-beam, it's been work, even with the Flex.  I doubt I'd have landed either without the 6500.  On a more positive note, I got my TX7EU LoTW QSLs today, including my RTTY contact so I'm at 114 on RTTY with just 100w, and just a couple short of 300 Mixed in the two years since I got the Flex.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.