Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Persistence not persisting?

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I recently did a factory reset and the display settings are not being saved. Some of the sliders in the display section have moved and the display has zoomed out a lot.

I seem to recall having this issue before and it seemed to disappear on its own. Is this a known issue on the list of things to fix?

Thanks

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have the same issue. I have done the factory reset a few times and the persistence for setting made on the band selector are inconsistent. They **** some use sessions and not on others. It is frustrating to make personal settings only to find them reset to a factory default. It would be nice if there was a way to change the factory base line default for the persistence to reference. It used to hold better so hoping this is a known issue being worked on.

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If you in thend to do a factory reset, you should first EXPORT the profiles, do the factory reset and then IMPORT your profiles.  Most setting  should be restorted... except maybe for what caused you to do the reset in the first place.

AL, K0VM
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is what I have done several times as advised by Tim with the Preferences not included. The persistence is still not consistent especially when using the band selector and switching between modes. The filters and AGC settings are the ones that stand out for me though there are probably are others. I get them set for starting quiet and the way I like to begin change band and the come back they may be the same. Switch back and forth another time and they are back to the AGC MED 65, all filters off, bandwidth 2.7k, volume 50, and Step 50 which seem to be the default. The filters values also reset as well. A bit annoying to tweak each band to a desire setting only to be a guessing game if they will hold and for how long.

It is probably something unique to my use and others that are experiencing.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    David, that is very similar to experience also after following Tim's instructions to the letter.

I leave a band a certain way and close SSDR and the rig. The next day it is not identical as I believe it should be. It is always the same things that have not stuck.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Doing a foctory reset will wipe  out most persisted items.. If you export/import including preferences
    most persisted items will be restored.. But you might also retain the items that lead you to do the factory reset..  I frequently EXPORT( with preferences) when things are working well, Then if need to do a factory reset, I can IMPORT a known good configuration.

AL, K0VM
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Ping Flex - so is there an existing and recognised issue with persistence on the bug list or not? If not, what is going on? Something is definitely not right...I did a factory reset and backed up my profiles (without preferences) and am still having issues. For example, I leave a band on DIGU, zoomed in and with a set rx bandwidth. The next time I visit, it has defaulted to CW, zoomed out and a changed rx filter. This usually happens after a close down. Not all bands are affected and it is not the same ones each time.

Just now I have connected to the Flex for the second time today. On both occasions the receive panel was empty - the panel on the right with the AGC, rx filter etc. Screenshot available. I change band, the panel fills with info, but the band is reset to CW etc (also screenshotted).

If these issues are not recognised I will open a helpdesk ticket, but if they are I will relax and wait.

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2018
    Yes, this issue is in our bug tracker (defect #3296).
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Guy,

Thanks for reporting this.  It will help us understand/replicate this issue if you can give us some more information.  How are you changing bands?  How many Slices are open when you have things setup the way you want it?  How about when you come back and expect those settings to be remembered?

A clear set of 1/2/3-style steps is often the best way for us to hunt down issues like this.  As you are probably aware, replicating the issue is often half the battle to getting it fixed!
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Eric,

Changing bands via CAT/RigCAT or via buttons in the top left of panadaptor. One slice open at a time. There is no set way of reproducing this*. It just happens. Just now, I powered up. Last band I was on was 10m. Last settings were completely lost and slice has opened in a default state (DAX lost, mode CW, rx filter etc). I have taken a screenshot of this default state. I have uploaded that screenshot and the other two to www.g4dwv.co.uk/ssdr. Persistence is completely borked, although, after the factory reset done about a week ago the bands did seem to start remembering their settings and then things got worse. The only thing that seems to be recalled on switching on is the last band used. If there is a pattern to this, darned if I can find it at all. If I click on the last mode used, say DIGU, all those settings have been lost too, so it is not just the mode button changing. I am having to set up the rig almost every time I turn it on. I am resisting the temptation to use profiles as a workaround - it would be a bit like using a Band-Aid to plug up a big leak in the Ark.

The best I can do about providing any steps you want would be your asking me to do certain things and I report back on the results.

*Happy to run any debug builds or tools. I backup well and do not worry at all about breaking anything.

73 es Happy Easter to all de G4DWV/4X1LT
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Is there any way I can get access to the bug tracker? The only reason I ask is that you have provided the defect number as if I can use it ;-).

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    No.  Our bug tracker is not public facing.  It is part of our software management / source repository software.

We list the defect number in the release notes so you can x-reference it when a new release comes out.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the additional information.  Could you export all of your settings/preferences and email a copy to me (eric AT flexradio DOT com)?  I'll add this to the issue.

I can't really tell whether this is an issue of the persistence design not meeting your expectations or whether there is a bug / failure in the persistence system.  When I go to a band with a single Panadapter and a single Slice and change up some settings, then close SmartSDR and reopen it, I always get what I expect (the settings I last used).  I've done a few more complex tests with multiple Slices and/or Panadapters with the same result.  But we may have a different set of expectations somewhere.

The only way I know to go forward is to get on the same set of settings (thus the file, or a factory reset, perhaps) and then perform the same operations and rationalize what happens assuming we both get the same result.

Another question: When you say that you are "powering up", does this mean that you have shut the radio down?  If so, what is your procedure for shutting down?  I'm wondering if maybe the client shutdown isn't clean and thus isn't saving the settings properly.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Eric,

'powering up' does indeed mean the radio has been powered off. I power off with a short press on the power button, until the green LED starts flashing. I power off sometimes before I have unloaded SSDR and sometimes not.

I have emailed the new global profile to you and would be interested to see what you find. If you find everything is okay, I will do another factory reset as this is not the first time I have found issues with persistence. Please check out my issue after a full factory reset without saving any preferences in your profile.

Could you please let me know what defect #3296 is?

If you need to contact me via email, please try not to reply to the email addy I will use to send you the settings. My email is the one listed on QRZ.com.

UPDATE:- If I change from 30 > 40 meters (after having previously changed from 40 > 30) with the current program I am using (WSJT-X r6555), 40m is as I had left it. If I change from 30 > 40 using the band changing buttons in SSDR, 40m appears in its default state. If I play around with the band buttons in SSDR, most of my bands lose their 'last was' state and get the default state (in one of the screenshots I uploaded, it was the one with 'CW' selected). I would expect all bands to keep their last setup state irrespective of how the band is changed.  Somertimes, I can get most of the setting to change back to the last state, the AGC setting tends to stay on MED . If you need a screen-cast of this behaviour, I can supply one.

I hope this can be sorted soon as I am wasting so much time re-re-resetting things up as I like them, hi hi.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    Guy,

Thanks for the file and the info.  Issue #3296 is linked to the the URL for this conversation and is labeled "Band persistence is not consistently recalled on band changes".

It sounds to me like if you change bands using different methods that this may be close to the root of the problem.  Changing the band via a 3rd party program like WSJT-X is likely just doing a direct frequency change for whichever Slice it is talking to.  This is handled in a different code path in the system as the user often has different expectations when tuning a Slice vs. changing bands.

We will need to explore the design for how this should be getting handled to figure out where things are not behaving as expected.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Eric, please take into account I have always noticed this behaviour after doing a factory reset as have others in this thread, IIRC.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    Will do.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Mni tnx.
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Has anyone found this issue to be fixed in 2.0? I just spent some time setting power levels to various settings on various bands and when I come back to those bands my settings are NOT holding. Now I understand that I can do a power down, factory reset, load a different profile, etcccc....! I've done all those when installing 2.0, but a simple band change during an operating session or radio restart should not affect my power levels. Am I NOT understanding what/how "persistence" is supposed to work? The Manuel says: Persistence, always enabled on your Signature Series radio, remembers settings from band to band without your direct action so that when you return to a band your settings are restored. For example, if you are operating on 20m and set the output power to 60W, then go to 10m and set the output power to 100W and then go back to 20m, persistence will return your 20m power to 60W. Resetting the radio to the factory settings (see section 34) will clear the persistence settings. This certainly is NOT happening on my 6700 in the fixed V2.0. I understand why it says "Resetting the radio to the factory settings (see section 34) will clear the persistence settings". That's OK if you want to clear all saved persistent values. But changing individual power settings during an operating session, after you've already loaded your preferred profiles, should work! NOT IMHO. Anyone, before I submit this trouble ticket again! Below is a link to a video demonstrating the issue! Hopefully it works and hopefully I'm doing something really **** and I don't have to wait for another release! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/li1rnv11oq2h7go/AADgorqwOQRJ1aRaYS6s9L4La?dl=0
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Well after I submitted this comment, I remembered something about DDUtil perhaps affecting the power settings. It looks like perhaps theDDUtil Autodrive feature is what's causing the power to revert back to its previous setting. More investigation required now! I'll leave this report here just in case someone else is having a similar issue. Joe
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    When you do a factory reset and import your profiles, make sure you UNCHECK the Preferences button.  Otherwise you may just be importing the problem your trying to resolve.  Most issues I've had were what appears to be a corruption in the preferences.

Norm - W7CK
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    One problem I'm having with persistence is every time I recall a profile, the waterfall takes up 90% of the window.  I have to grab the top of the waterfall and try to drag it down.  This takes 3-4 attempts.  I can never drag it down to a specific spot on the 1st or 2nd try.  I then save this profile, but when I recall it later, its all **** up again.  This is a royal pita to have to deal with every time I recall a profile.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Norm - W7CK
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    This is a known issue in the 1.X release. Are you still experiencing in the 2.0 release. I was hopefully that would addressed. I agree having to fight the GUI to get the view you want is a pain and frustrating.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    I was going to ask if you had an app connected to the radio that can change radio state.  Sounds like you do.
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    As is normal, my brain kicked into gear as soon as I hit send!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    Display geometry is not part of band persistence or global profiles.  Storing client specific information in the radio is not practical because multiple clients can use the radio and those clients can have multiple possibilities of displays and resolution configurations.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    What about the GUI issue of adjusting the scope/waterfall size that requires multiple attempts to get it hold where the drag and release point is? I understand this is not a persistence that would be saved in the radio. It would be nice if it was save in the client but more importantly to work as expected. I recall you answered this in the past and said it was a known issue and to be addressed in the future.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    That issue is in our bug tracker too.
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited February 2018
    David, i also find the same issue with 1.10.16 every time i load a profile and agree that it takes several attempts to drag the line to where i usually have it - resaving the profile never gets over this issue. Not a game stopper like the random crashes but annoying nevertheless. Thanks for confirming that its still there in 2.0 Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    As I stated above...

Display geometry is not part of band persistence or global profiles.  Storing client specific information in the radio is not practical because multiple clients can use the radio and those clients can have multiple possibilities of displays and resolution configurations.

So saving a profile does not save the screen layout in SmartSDR.

• Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited August 2017
    Noted Tim - but why does it take several attempts to pull the line down to where you want it to sit each time? I have been using a mouse since decades so I don't believe its down to poor click and drag control:-)  Can you confirm that that element above is a bug, that will eventually be looked at?
    thanks  Steve

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.