Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Unlocking the New 60meter Band WRC15 Worldwide 5351.5 to 5366.5 kHz

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Is there a timeline for unlocking the new 60 meter  5351.5 to 5366.5 kHz in firmware so we can start using it 

Bill
VA3QB
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

Bill,

Any changes to the International Radio Regulations will not come into effect until January 1, 2017 and even then will have to be approved by the regulators in signatory countries. That will likely add additional time to the process.

Tim VE6SH

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    :-(
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It took us several years to get the first WARC Bands - 17 & 12, and longer, I think to get 30 Meters.  (Memory fails me a bit here)  We will need to practice extreme patience.  Even then, I don't think we can be sure what the power limits will be, and what modes will be authorized.  15 KHz will be better than we had, sort of, but not a lot.  (5 x 2.5KHz voice channels = 12.5 KHz.)  But at least stations may be able to overlap a little in opposite ends of the country when signals are not strong.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Making the software change is a straightforward process.  As Tim said, getting approved is going to take a while
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The big question is whether the euro zoo would co-operate with the channel spacing, not to mention the splatter and audio animaltronics
  • ON5HC
    ON5HC Member
    edited April 2020
    Belgium institute BIPT published yesterday new regulation / decission :
    from now on we are allowed to use 15watt on 60m band (5.351,5 - 5.366,5)
    Any news about timeline for firmware to unlock ?

Tim ON5HC

• Jan - ON4PAL
    Jan - ON4PAL Member
    edited March 2016
    ask for a TURF-file from your dealer. Mine provided me with one right away after sending him the serial number of my Flex. ON4PAL
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Where you have buyed your Flex6?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Note that software changes are in process to support the new 60m band frequencies for the Belgian region.  Look for this in the next release.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Eric OK, i know but from time to time people travel or move and Europe has many region. I have 80 miles to OK, 110 miles to OM, 120 mile to OE, 150 miles to HB9; many more like HB0, I, F, LX, SP
    Do i need for every country a own TURF file?
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The quick answer is no. Whatever country you are licenced in for 60m band, thats the freqs you will be allowed to operate on only. But because some other country's have different freqs, you cannot use those freqs, only your own as per your licence. Some freqs over lap with other countrys freqs, so qso is possible, but split operation is also possible if agreed say via skype  for tx and rx. For this reason, mobile operation on 60m is not allowed. Check your 60m licence condx.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    John, we using in EU CEPT and i never talk about mobile operation. I have a vacation flat in OE, from time to time i stay some weeks in other countries like I or 9A and work there on a permanent build station, from a shack.

[for example 6m is also not for mobile operation here and also different band plan exist in EU. Also output power is different. In DL was longtime 10 W EIRP !!
    NO TRX from any company exist that has max. 10 W EIRP output]

AND !!!!!! we Ham's in DL and others EU countries have NO restriction using any  HF hardware.

We can build own TRX, we can use if we want a 10 KW amp up to our legal limit.
    We can do hardware changes or modifications at TRX like Icom, Kenwóod. Full legal here.

ONLY we have to follow the law in case of mode, power, national band plan aso. 
    We do not need a FCC to proof Ham gear like in the US

We are responsible to take care of it. Not any producer of a TRX !
    We are major Ham's here.

Don't know the situation in US but Flex sales worldwide.

73 Chris
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If its not stated in the licence then its not allowed, unless its changed via negoiation with prime user Chris.. Ths means that yes, you will probably need a turf file for every country, unless Flex has another plan. Remember, this is a military and avaition band. Its not ours. We are not prime users, so if the prime users say no. then its no. Lets wait and see what happens. The prime users can cancel the 60m band for us anytime. I dont know how this is all going to work, so lots of planning is required to get it all working correctly for each country. So far, for Flex, a turf file will be needed if portable work is required. Is it even allowed on 60m ?
  • ON5HC
    ON5HC Member
    edited March 2016
    Eric,
    I got a TURF file from my dealer, but installing makes no difference.
    Do I need to wait for new/updated firmware/software ?

73 Tim

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The TURF file should modify the region for your radio.  Updated software will add the 60m band for the Belgian region in the next release.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.