Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR - Ham Radio Deluxe - DM780 HowTo Setup Guide

2»

Comments

• Chris in CR
    Chris in CR Member
    edited February 2015
    Thank you very much.  I've been a bit intimidated by all of the installs, configurations, etc involved in exploring the digital modes.

Turns out that booting back and forth between OS and Windows 8 on a partitioned hard drive knocked the CAT program out of whack.

A simple reboot fixed it, and after a few attempts I now have a couple of PSK-31 QSO's under my belt.

Still working on getting accurate CW decode, but moving forward.

Thanks again!

Chris
    TI3/KM4HQS
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    new (less than a week) 6500 user...all working except ...I7/Win 8.1/HRD/DDUtil/DM780.....all working just fine for PSK31 (xmt & Rcv) but switch to  CW the waterfall in DM780 is deaf and no Xmt....
    anyone have an idea what I've neglected to do?
    Thanks
    Steve
  • Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Is your DAX channel still enabled aftet you changed mode to CW?
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    No Gary...it wasn't....it is now and it's working...I should have realized that before posting....new radio, it's a learning process...
    Thanks
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Steve, I am very new too with 6500, my configuration is very closed of yours, except still using Win 7. Please how you to do to transmit in CW with DM780? Do you use CW (SSB)?
    Here my transmit works well in PSK (I spend some time to understand which port to address for PTT, I am familiar with Macintosh!), but when I switch to CW in DM780 nothing happening in SDR. Thanks Jean-Luc F5JRC
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jean-Luc, you can either use CW(SSB) and transmit audio tones via DAX,
    or - as I do - buy a WinKeyer (I use ZLP-Electronics CW-Keyer) and drive
    this with CW (Winkey). PTT in my case is via an extra SmartSDR CAT port
    and I use MiniDeluxe as a server. You can look for my postings here for
    further information. 73, Alex DH2ID

• Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Alex, I am at my office for now, so I will give it a try tonight. A question: do you use a paddle with your configuration? 73 Jean-Luc
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, I use a paddle when having a QSO. I have to change plugs, though,
    as I am still building an adapter for the WinKeyer...
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Hi Alex, I realize my question was silly!
    Maybe it could be better to make a new post for asking how to fix the issues I meet with the configuration of my Flex 6500 (not only DM780) and don't polluted this great post.
    I really enjoyed this radio, reception is awesome.
    Thanks again Alex 73 Jean-Luc

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As far as I'm concerned, MiniDeluxe is my preference. DDUTIL is to cumbersome to use with a simple setup.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    My preference is DDUTIL because it also controls my Amp. My Rotor and my SteppIR
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I agree with Howard. I have a very simple setup it runs on a 15 inch laptop and DDutil is basically the heart of it
  • Kevin Mahoney
    Kevin Mahoney Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Spend all day trying to get DM-780 working on my 6300. It used to work :(. upgraded to windows 10, downloaded latest version of HRD and Smart SDR 1.4.16. HRD worked, DM-780 worked. Cannot get DM-780 to key. I hear the relay in my radio but no power out. If I hit "tune" plenty of power out. Then I lost HRD, would not connect. I spent the next couple of hours uninstalling and reinstaling HRD and SmartSDR. Tried all versions in different combinations. In one of my trial I got HRD to connect but only briefly. Finally downgraded back to Win. 8.1 and SDR 1.4.11. BTW I have removed ports and readded the PTT ports as mentioned here and set DM-780 as instructed above. 

At this point, cannot get it to key. Any ideas?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Did you delete all Smart SDR cat ports then uninstall Flex VSP and SmartSDR including DAX before upgrading to Windows 10? Sounds like you may have phantom com ports causing CAT not to work.
  • Kevin Mahoney
    Kevin Mahoney Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I did NOT delete anything when I moved to Windows 10. I have subsequently gone back and deleted all of the ports I see in Device manager and delteed all of the ports I created in CAT. I reloaded Smart SDR, but maybe there are ports I am unaware of. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020

Here are the steps to take in Windows 7 before upgrading to 10.

• In SmartSDR Cat serial ports tab delete all virtual serial ports
    • Uninstall FlexRadioSystems FlexVSP
    • Uninstall FlexRadioSystems SmartSDR. When prompted if you want to keep DAX, select No.
    • Uninstall any other virtual serial port programs you may have had installed in the past.
    • Reboot
    • Open command prompt with administrator rights (programs/accessories/Command prompt and right click and Run As Administrator)
    • Type (without quotes) "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" and hit enter
    • Type (without quotes) "start devmgmt.msc" and hit enter
    • When Device Manager opens select View/Show hidden devices
    • Expand Ports tab and delete any greyed out ports.
    • Expand Audio Inputs & Outputs and delete any DAX devices
    • Reboot
    • Also uninstall any antivirus software and firewall software if you are upgrading to Windows 10

At this point you can either upgrade to Windows 10 or reinstall SmartSDR if you are staying on Windows 7.

Dave wo2x

• Kevin Mahoney
    Kevin Mahoney Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I will give it a go tomorrow. I am using 8.1 and not 7 but I guess that doesn't matter. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020

Same procedure for 8.1

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    A belated thank you Chris! My old machine died and I've be building up my environment on the new Dell. Your writeup was incredibly helpful.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited March 2017
    How do you reduce output audio?  I dont want to splatter the band.
    Other than the obvious of reducing output POWER, how do you reduce the dax audio level?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    1) open DAX control panel
    2) reduce/increase TX gain
    3) watch level in SSDR, should be < 0
    4) you can also play with the DM780 settings, but I won't recommend
        that, as the DAX settings are more than sufficient for most programs.
        In fact I leave them eactly like that.
    5) done :-)

Alex - DH2ID

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.