Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No news are good news !

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Only Burt's copy got canceled <wink>!

Is there any truth that you saw a message? 

What point is there in adding legs to every bit of trash talk you find despite an ongoing communication flow from FRS laying things as clearly as they can be?

This is troll smack talk, and you are way too smart to get suckered into repeating it.

Let's not make it an ugly world going through it like Eyore braying every pessimistic worry that can even be imagined, truth be ****.

I want to claim a Sked to do a Maestro-to-Maestro QSO where we will talk about the positive!  Are you on Burt?  Will be fun!

Steve

K9ZW

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Burt, where did you see that message?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Is there any truth to a message I saw that work on the Maestro halted  or slowed work on 2.0?

None what so ever.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I got to play with the Maestro in Yuma last week.  All I can say is WOW.  It is certainly going to be worth the wait.  It is truly a well thought out, engineered and solidly built piece of gear.  While I didn't get to spend a tremendous amount of time with it, the software seemed to be rock solid.  Let the beta testers and the Flex software engineers release it when they feel its ready!  We will all be the benefactors of their efforts and dedication to details!

I am very pleased that Flex announced the product as early in the development process as they did.  I love being somewhat kept in the loop of product development.  This alone makes FlexRadio Co. unique in the ham radio industry.  I also want to think that some of the positive and productive comments and recommendations made on this forum somehow make it to the Flex engineering team and are actually considered during the planning process.  Once again making FlexRadio Co quite unique!

I'm patiently waiting, although now looking for another towel to dry my eyes!
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Burt - Politifact:  "Pants on Fire" 

We have around 50 people testing Maestro every day and giving us great feedback that we are incorporating into the software to enhance the user experience.  We are doing one to three Maestro software updates per week to the Alpha team.  Sounds like someone is spreading malicious information.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I thought I saw the comment here in January and it was not refuted but now it is.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I thought I saw it here in January but it could have been QRZ. I should have asked when I saw it but the thread here on Maestro got me to post. Whenever Maestro is released I am sure people will like it.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Unless the comment is directly sourced from FlexRadio Systems, it should be not considered authoritative.
  • Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited December 2016

Bingo.  Do you guys think the K-I-Y triumvirate would have been as open as Flex have been?

BTW, don't you maestro guys have homes?   :)

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Burt, there are not enough hours in the day to do real work, read all the posts, and refute every incorrect or misleading comment.  I ask that you please not repeat unsubstantiated comments in the future.  
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ok, that's fair, so if I hear something I think might be true who should I contact so that others don't see it? Can private messages be sent to any Flex representatives?
    k1oik@yahoo.com
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'm with Burt on this one. How do we know what is unsubstantiated? How much background work are we expected to do before we post? If Flex is worried about unsubstantiated posts, they could police the forum, it is not as if the forum is high traffic by any means. One may want to post something unsubstantiated in order to get it officially substantiated or not.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Here are some suggestions:

If FRS has spoken, non-official-FRS statements made prior to the FRS Statement have been superseded by the official FRS Statement(s).

If the timeframe is expansive - reposting rumors over a month old on a very active community site like this one as an example - take it quietly and privately to FRS before (re)posting a comment that didn't gain traction many weeks ago.

Reflect that reposting often looks like your are championing or supportive of the reposted statement's claims.  That alone may be reason enough to do an email or call to FRS prior to giving legs to a dead bit of speculation.

If there are subsequent Flex-Insider, Gerald, Tim or Steve posts that have already addressed the intended reposting's false claims heed their statements.  Otherwise your repost effort is simply mischief rather than any legitimate search for clarity.

Any claim that you didn't see the official posts is rubbish with the amount of posting - even lurking - here at the community by those folk repeating heresy negative claims. 

And of course you owe it to the community to do at least a basic search.

Patience is a virtue and we don't have to be like little children asking over and over "are we there yet?"

Please remember FRS has adopted a very hands-off moderation policy in terms of this community and has rejected suggestions that outmoded and spurious posts be deleted - I'd even thought changing them to all strike-out and adding and editors note so it would be clear what is old stuff would be warranted.  That would end up looking like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean facilisis erat eu odio accumsan, nec aliquet nisl efficitur. Duis lacus ****, pellentesque id justo a, ullamcorper euismod risus. Curabitur at erat sit amet dolor facilisis vulputate. Vestibulum tincidunt augue faucibus turpis ultrices luctus eget eu orci. Quisque hendrerit sapien vitae purus tristique, sed ornare arcu blandit. Pellentesque fringilla consectetur quam, et luctus ligula feugiat non. In eros libero, aliquet eget ipsum non, lobortis hendrerit nulla. Vestibulum metus nisl, sagittis sit amet risus cursus, laoreet luctus diam. Nam bibendum risus id lectus congue, non consectetur ante suscipit. Duis porttitor posuere dui vel consequat. [Edit 02MAR16 Steve K9ZW - replaced by new release of other nonsense Greeked Text in a later thread.]

This way the old would remain for legacy, but with ample warning it was not current information. 

Lastly also ask yourself "Does my question even mean anything - does it even matter?"  There are a lot of spurious posts.  Bluntly no matter how many times you post it you are not going to change the facts.  I'm am amused by the WAN-not-needed mantra chanters who every time they have a chance repeat that they personally don't see how they need WAN so therefore FRS should walk away from its plans to do what they want done.  This is basically flipping-the-bird to those of us who have looked to the WAN advance from day one, and as such not very good community spirit.  Argue and promote ideas for what comes next, but don't propose to steal from your fellow ham!

Now for my positive statement for the day - I would like to propose doing a round-robin sked with each of the regular posters with some sort of award for 20, 30, 40 and so on contacted.  Would be really cool to meet each of this sage group on the air for a chat. 

As always YMMV, and hope to catch you on the bands,

Steve K9ZW

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Spring is in the air.  Is Maestro going to beat the flowers?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I am in SoCal. The flowers bloomed last month
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    :-) Don't rub it in Howard!!!!
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not a chance on the west.  Even up here in Canada's west the Daffodils are out and while the East gets snow we suffer with falling cherry blossoms that turn the streets white and pink.  rub ... rub ... grin 
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Well, we're all another week older, and no sign of that Maestro Insider update????

<Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.>
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Or we could all assume, unless the box arrives before hand, July 4th, US Independence Day. No winking, no nudging, no bouts of rage.
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016
    Nah....how about 23rd April?....St George's Day here in G-Land, and just in time for the 6m Sporadic E season :-)
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

If you wonder why I and others look for answers to reports we hear, I posted the following 3 days ago and no response:

If I hear something I think might be true who should I contact so that others don't see it? Can private messages be sent to any Flex representatives?
    k1oik@yahoo.com

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

It is so obviously an "yes" - would be seen as an open rhetorical question, as the entire FRS has so often said everyone is welcome to email any of their team direct.

Would have thought no response should have been expected.

You could contact them at http://www.flexradio.com/about-us/contact-us/ if you don't want to look up an individual's address.

Rather doubt they are going to monitor posts looking for your address though. 

Steve K9ZW

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Steve interesting comments. Re: flipping the bird to those of us wanting WAN from day one... I'd have this response, right back at you, as, for what seems to be the majority opinion on here, because of the sample size of those asked and who, by a majority, move WAN to the next new thing that survey should have included all current owners, not simply those with the discretionary cash to pilgrim out to Dayton. So from the 'other' perspective, it appears to those not desperately trying to hold their water, that they are being flipped off. Personally, I don't sense anyone is trying to relitigate that decision FRS made over a year ago. I mention that only because you felt your group was being unfairly treated. I think the other side feels the same way. Personally, I think the philosophy all people should follow is, stuff will arrive at market when FRS deems it ready. For those whom that waiting is is not sufficient, there are other vendors. The ultimate 'vote' cast is what vendor gets one's discretionary dollars. I do, however concur with your sentiment about the nonstop 'is it soup yet'?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Walt

As the WAN concept was part of the Signature Series from conceptual onwards including Road Maps while those were being done, it is really hard to change that commitment now.

Sampling bias and segmentation issues in a growing ownership base that ranges from early adopters willing to even prepay ahead while awaiting an actual product, small release groups, and differing types of later purchasers - it just gets very messy.

Additionally a consideration as to whether each customer group pre-bought, bought or importantly will buy in the future based on that WAN commitment, is very important.

There is also a huge potential cost to setting aside a huge expected move forward with the WAN capabilities in terms of goodwill and marketplace creditability that strongly cautions consistency in direction.

FRS with each significant SmartSDR release - I think I started with SmartSDR Preview 0.12.8 just around Dayton time in 2013 - has delivered what it committed to and more.  There have been a couple remedial software repairs and a few items were slightly delayed only to be included it a widely expanded form well worth the slight wait.

I've had fun with each upgrade - in fact if I wasn't multitasking at this moment I really should be on the air.  I certainly hope other owners are having fun too!

I also hope that most are as pumped as I am wit the forward direction that each new release will bring!

As an aside, the building block nature of the tiers of features released to end station operators would also appear to be needed for later added features, even if not every ham wanted a given specific feature it may be an intermediate part of something they do want.  I would guess that there is less chance of multiple site wide area diversity without a solid WAN function & background libraries?  We seem to make sense how WAN would be a building bock towards it?

Anyway, all best and 73

Steve K9ZW
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yep, can't disagree with anything you just said. I think, for me, the biggest thing is the verbal impatience, be it for an anticipated 90 day, 2100 hr, point release or an anticipated new product. People seem to forget, as badly as they may want it, FRS gains more by having it in the market place. It's never the case they decide to just **** it off.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Steve said, "FRS has so often said everyone is welcome to email any of their team direct."

What are the direct addresses?

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Steve said, "FRS has so often said everyone is welcome to email any of their team direct."

What are the direct addresses?

•   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @Burt  Would it not be prudent to suppress the temptation to ask Flex to verify every other rumor that comes along.? Especially when the answer really doesn't mean squat to the real world development of the product line ??   Personally, I'm amazed that Tim & the other support staff have any hair left...
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It would be prudent to not ask them to verify every rumor.  I asked one.

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Last fall I offered the deposit as long as I didn't have to take delivery (and pay for it) until April. I was refused.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.