Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Power On Switching?

Roger Thompson AD5T
Roger Thompson AD5T Member ✭✭
The 6000 series hardware manual calls for shorting the remote power on center pin to ground to power up the radio, a pin that measures about 3.3 volts DC when open.  I see discussions about pulling this pin to ground using a relay, but am curious if anyone has successfully used an optoisolator like a 4N25 or an open collector transistor switch? 

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'll bet if those two transistor devices you mentioned don't put down far enough to cause the remote power to turn on a FET 2N7000 will work just fine, the 2N7000 FET junction pull down to ground with a lot less resistance in the gate then a transistor. 
    The FET doesn't require any more components then a open collector transistor depending on what your using to use to switch the device from HI to LOW if it happens to be inverted then it will require 2 devices and a pull up resistor just like a transistor. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hello Roger, in my last project I am using a 4N35 with success. I drive it using a Arduino Due digital pin through a 220 ohm resistor. In the same project I use another 4n35 to key the rig using the accessory port. It is very fast and totally silent. 73' Enzo iw7dmh
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    From teh 4N25 datasheet, the Collector to Emitter saturated (CEsat) will be less than 0.20 Volts. This should easily control the 3.3V-DC input, pulling it low. The drive current of the LED (50 mA) should be noted.

Good Luck,

k3imageTim

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Just FYI,

I want to highlight the Orion G3NA solid state relay.
    I am using it for my remote AC switch and I can drive it using a straight output Arduino port (@5V).
    G3NA relays are rated for different input voltages (5-24VDC) and for different output loads (5 to 90A @ 24-240VAC) .
    They are used for a lot of domotic applications and it seems they are very reliable.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.