Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR is a Great Teaching Prop !!

Kevin Va3KGS
Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in New Ideas

Forget about using white boards, paper and
books.   I found using SSDR on a 42” screen this past week was a great tool for to the students to learn from.  I used the 80 meter band in the demonstration as the other bands were quite.  I started out with the band edges at both ends, and all of the signals on the waterfall were amazing for them to see what was going on.  Pointing out SSB, AM, and CW Signals.  Explaining the 6khz bandwidth rule, was real easy to do, and how more operators can work together on SSB on using 3khz.  I showed them how filtering of the signal works when two stations are side be each,  and then the dreaded CW carrier showed up, and how the ANF button worked to get rid of the tone noise.  The student’s visual experience was gratifying.  Thanks to Flex for making this part of the hobby easier for us instructors.

Cheers

Kevin, Va3KGS

Comments

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is the same reason I bought an IFR 1600S, for the visualization and the spectrum analyzer, but SmartSDR tops that hands down. Excellent post Kevin.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    When coming back to ham radio after a long break, I was blown away by a video I saw of SSDR in action. Within a second I could see how limiting it was to not to be able to see the spectrum when operating. Getting an updated radio with each software release was just a bonus.

I was unimpressed with paucity of firmware updated for regular rigs. No new functionality or bug fixes for those.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.