Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using my PC's speakers simultaneously on my Flex 6300

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in New Ideas
After using several different speakers on my 6300 and not liking the extra space they took, I tried hooking the 6300 speaker output to my computer's Line In and selecting "Listen to this device" in the Line In Properties dialog.  I've now been running this way for months and love it - even doing split to work the DXpeditions.  Windows will mix other sources such as Echolink and if want to focus on that I simply mute or turn down the 6300.  My computer speakers are a great set of Sony speakers that came with a Sony computer years ago.  The computer is long gone but the speakers sound and work great so I keep using them.  Now I only need one set of speakers for radio and computer.  

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Can you tell if there is a delay between the sound out of the speakers and that of headsets connected directly to the Flex radio? I am curious. I understand you are connecting directly from SPRK out in the Flex to LINE-IN in the PC with no DAX interaction.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    There is no appreciable delay.  I connected my headset and listened to both at the same time and heard just the slightest hollow sound.  So any delay is negligible in my system.  

I also tried using a DAX connection but then you lose the volume control and mute in SmartSDR's main window, so I'm sticking with my wire between the radio and computer.  
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    my computer analog sound is gone. I only find digital in/out with my realteck sound, which is worthless to me.. I reloaded the MB sound driver, but still no analog. I had analog the last time I checked, but it is gone. I wonder if DAX is causing this? Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Dave, W5UN

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Some sound cards will not have analog as an option if you don't have something plug in the jack port. Or at least it shows greyed out. 

The way my Realtek sound card works, I can plug anything to any of the jacks and then define with the computer what type of device it is.

The complete disappearance is odd, as even without anything plugged in it appears in the devices window. I wonder if you disabled it.... 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks ****!
    It is an interesting approach. I use the Bose companion with 2 inputs and connect both PC and Flex to the speakers, but this system will allow for a 3rd device to come out of the same speakers.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Dave, depends on what version of Windows you're using and whether the device is Enabled, etc.  Shoot me an email via addr on qrz.com and let's take this offline.  Probably need a phone call to walk through the possibilities.  
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Why would you not just use the Remote option and avoid the additional cables?
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Please explain Remote option.  There's nothing more simple than a speaker out to a Line In cable between two boxes 2' apart.  Occam's razor. 
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    With the Remote in the upper left of SmartSDR turned on the audio from the radio is send to the PC. There is no need for direct cable from the radio to the the PC. The additional cable could also add to troubleshoot of RF issue when transmitting so the fewer the cables the few entry points.image
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    **** I'd like to send you an email, but you did not give me your call for lookup on qrz.com
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Ha, quite right Dave.  It's KF5SA ... typically part of my user-ID on forums but not this one I see.  
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    OK David, I had thought was only for LAN Remote use as described in Section 16 of the manual, and it says it uses Windows defaults for BOTH speakers and microphone, which wouldn't be correct for the mic.  But I tried it and it still seems to use the Flex mic and not the computer mic I have as the default.  So I'll have to explore this more.  Thanks.  

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The speaker and mic remote options are flexible. You can set them independently for remote or radio. This makes it so you can have one operating setup in the radio room and another in the living room, patio, etc.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The only disadvantage of using REMOTE, is that it does not let you hear the CW side tone.  I use wireless headphones while operating CW so it isn't an issue for me.  Other than that, REMOTE works great and there aren't any additional wires.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I see that I must plug something into the MB audio jack before analog is available out of the computer. I will simply run a cable from my Flex 6700 audio out to the computer line in jack (2'cable).
    I do not understand this REMOTE business? My REMOTE is grayed out and unresponsive to mouse clicks. If I run remote with my laptop on the LAN, then REMOTE comes into play.

Dave, W5UN
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My REMOTE is greyed out on my desktop PC if I do not have a cable plugged in to the speaker jack of the computer.

Mike, W9OJ
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Do you have it enabled in the Radio setup as well? What happens when you click the Remote button to enable it?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Dave - Place you mouse over the Remote button on the SmartSDR console.  It will show text on what is your default playback and recording audio device for your PC.  You have to have a default Playback (speakers) to hear audio and a default recording (mic) to transmit.,
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    That doesn't seem to be important - Disabled here and I'm still using Remote for audio on the computer just fine.  The Enable/Disable must apply to some other aspect of Remote.  image
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    **** - Remote On is the hardware remote trigger on the back of the radio and has nothing to do with remote audio.  Remote on is a way of remotely powering up the radio with a remote controlled switch.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Just discovered a major reason for NOT using Remote - FRStacks Hotkeys for manipulating volume do not work with Remote audio.  I tried the SVolUp and SVolDown and they didn't work - don't know what they're for yet.  Also there is slightly less audio for the same position of the volume slider when using Remote.  I use the Hotkeys quite a bit for convenience so that's a Remote-killer for me right now.  Perhaps FRStacks will add RVolUp, RVolDown, RVolMute, etc.  
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's right. I confuse that one with audio. It would help to have the hardware Remote On say Remote Power instead since it is to enable the rear connect to turn the radio on and off not just on.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It is designated as such in the software because it is labeled as REMote ON on the back panel of the radio.

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I hear what you are saying but I am just explaining what would be clearer. If you want to take it a step further the radio label and software should be remote power switch or rem pwr-sw. Just thought for future.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If I connect the rear panel audio out to my computer line in, will that be fed to the computer line out?
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    To listen to the Line In audio you have to select "Listen to this device" in the "Listen" tab of the Line In Properties in the Windows Sound dialog, accessed by right-button click on the speaker icon in systray (Notification Area).  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.