Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Shared virtual com port cables

Jay Nation
Jay Nation Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
With the 1.6.17 Smartsdr CAT release, have we lost the ability to create a shared cable that has neither end connected to the radio or Smartsdr CAT?

We were able to create Shared cables with the previous releases.
They were useful when connecting 3rd party programs to each other.

73, Jay - NO5J

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Isn't that what the DAX connections do? Rather than attaching to a virtual cable you connect your third party software to the DAX cable. Each slice can connect to any of 8 DAX cables. Would you want a list on the slices that includes both virtual cables as well as DAX cables?

Jim, K6QE

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The shared ports are history as I understand it. There was obviously something that made their implementation too expensive for their value, especially when there are a bevy of free products on the market.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jim
    I was asking about serial ports.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I was using VSPmanager for shared cables for use with DDUtil, but when I installed 1.6.17, VSPM wasn't installed, now after having installed SSDR 1.6.17, reinstalling and using VSPM no longer seems to work.

I'll pursue the VSPM problem with K5FR, now that I know that SmartSDR no longer supports Shared cables.  

I thought I might have overlooked something in the 
    SmartSDR CAT documentation.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Exactly what I did!

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Jay,

VSP  or VSPE ,  there are a lot, but these two seem to play ok on my system..    You should be able to VSP to work ok..    Check with Steve.. 
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Dudley

Thanks, I guess I just got either lucky or smarter, I reinstalled VSPM 1.0.3.01 onto C:, to get it out of Program Files, and then ran it as Administrator, It works now. I don't remember ever having to install it that way before. Windows 10 ain't your Grandfathers Windows I guess. 

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.