Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Icom add IC7300 to RS-BA1 Remote Software V1.90

Chris DL5NAM
Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Icom add today the new cheap TRX IC7300 (still not on market) to his Remote Software RS-BA V1.90 - so we will see what others can do with SDR and remote operation via WAN

Hello to FRS - my Flex6700 is now some years old, we still waiting for that promised functions !

73 Chris

Comments

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Ham's are innovative and problem solvers.

There are many folks using their FlexRadio's over the Internet using a VPN solution.  FRS will get to WAN support as they are able.

In the meantime, you could either use a VPN solution or buy an Icom if that is your preference.

The world is full of choices - some do, some don't, others complain.

Enjoying operating my FlexRadio remotely from all over the world via the Internet.
    Stu K6TU
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

It will interesting to see if the 7300 can transport IQ data with the panadapter information. I have a 7800 and in order to view the panorama ala Flex I have to piggy back an SDRIQ receiver. I much prefer the Flex. Using a mini computer, VPN probably will never be any worse than direct WAN connection to the Flex. In any event, these are exciting times watching the paradigm of amateur radio.

Jim, K6QE

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My crude understanding is that they will be sending the 7300 display graphics data over the USB connection, not IQ data. 

Barry N1EU
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

I just went to the Icom site and see that V 1.90 just came out which provides graphic data. It mentions a new USB 3.0 driver must be installed. I am not sure what this implies. Using USB just tells me the graphics data will be available locally to the user but not over the Internet. However, that doesn't mean one could not equally well use VPN on the 7300, also.

Jim, K6QE

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Chris - you need to get that IC-7300, and I will happily take that 6700 off your hands! The only right thing to do... 8^)
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited May 2020
    Chris, have you ever used the RS-BA software? Because I have, and it's garbage. Nothing to do with being a Flex fanboy or a Flexhugger (I own several ICOM radios), but the current RS-BA software isn't very good at all. 

Also, I would imagine that this solution they are providing will work more like RemoteRig, and much so less like a WAN based SSDR client with audio and IQ data transfer, etc. Personally, that wouldn't fit the bill for me being a big digital mode guy. 

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Chris,
    I can imagine your frustration with regards to promises on what a radio will do not only now but in the future. I'm sure I will get a lot of heat on this comment, but here goes. I never would buy a radio on the hope that it will do this, or won't do this, especially when it is controlled by software! Promises don't seem to be valued anymore. Promises have become like the politicians. 9.9 times out of 10, they never keep them. And yet the people are foolish enough to believe them and vote for them. Mark Griffin, KB3Z
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rob, yes and i agree but RS-BA1 ("cheap and dirty") works via WAN
    Using an IC7800 at home and RemoteRig (without any! PC via WAN ) with K3/0-mini for my 2 remote K3/100.
    F6700 is at home - till WAN is working.

VPN needs at remote side a PC. For me junk solution.

After FRS has spent many brain and time into nice and very needed modes for every serious HF operator like FM or FreeDV or D-Star - i hope FRS spent now full power for WAN and Geo diversity RX. Then i buy a 2. F6700 - not 1 day earlier - i never trust in future any FRS advertising paper!

73 Chris
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited January 2016
    Chris, 

Just an FYI, but there are plenty of router based VPN solutions, many of which are well documented on these forums. You absolutely do not need a dedicated PC on your home network to set up a VPN. 

Also, only time will tell, but I'm going out on a limb to say that I doubt that the RS-BA1 software will incorporate the use of high quality audio or IQ for digital applications. I'm guessing it will use some heavily compressed solution to transfer audio for side band applications only. 

I appreciate that all of us have different areas of interest in how we use our rigs remotely, and I agree with you that I hope version 2 comes out sooner than later!

Rob
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Echoing Rob's comment.

Your statement about requiring a PC to run a VPN is wrong.  Many routers/internet modems etc already support compatible VPN servers and so no additional box(es) are required.

If you yourself lack the skills to be able to install a VPN server, you can easily find a local ham or high school student who can do the job for you.

In the meantime, why deprive yourself of operating your radio over the WAN?

You may look at this as an issue of principle but the only person who suffers as a result is YOU.

That's sad don't you agree?
    Stu K6TU

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Mark.

As someone with a long career in software development (and networking software for that matter) I can empathize with the challenges that FlexRadio has to overcome.  At the end of the day they have already delivered many things that weren't part of the original product description.

There are also clear workarounds to the one remaining aspect of the "promise" - namely WAN support and using a VPN as a workable and viable solution.

To be blunt, I'd rather use a VPN with the added levels of security it offers than connect my radio directly to the Internet - even with a firewall and port forwarding.

I look forward to FlexRadio delivering 2.0 so that they can begin charging for all the software work that they have done and continue to do.  I'm sure they will do a great job on WAN when they get to it.

In the meantime, I'll keep operating my radio from wherever I may be as long as I have reasonable Internet access! :-)

73!
    Stu K6TU

PS: Its a pretty low **** to compare FlexRadio with the promises of politicians...  I think FRS has done an amazing job delivering on a very sophisticated product!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Of the people present in Dayton for that all important WAN priority vote, what percentage of the, then current, Flex owners did they represent? I believe some of the frustration in the air revolves around the likelihood the minority of owners were asked what turned out to be a very pivotal question. I agree with you Stu, the necessary pieces to do WAN were available at the time, for those under NDA. I would have prioritized differently, but then I wasn't asked.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Bravo Stu! Been using the VPN that comes with the Linksys 1900AC for about a year now. It works just wonderfully with Flex and I have been enjoying WAN without an accompanying computer very successfully. However, for those who do not have a good VPN router, Softether works very well with an accompanying computer.

Jim, K6QE

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    IMO the promise has been met.  100 bucks and you are off to the races.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

the terms "WAN" and "LAN" perhaps give the misconception the flex is not remote able, thus the obsession over it.  Maybe "IP browsing of radio chooser" would be more descriptive of a nice to have feature to enhance what already works pretty darn good and it wont be such a big deal.

Poking open IP ports through your home firewall will be as challenging (if not more if you are not computer literate) as setting up a VPN on it. Not sure what all the fuss is about here. With the exception of streaming DAX IQ its as if im sitting in my shack!  Heck I even use K6TU control over a separate vpn connection simultaneously.. 

to me this is really much ado about nothing and much more pressing functionality issues needing to remain high up on the programmers radar.  The team is doing a fine job.. lets let them do it.

JM2C :-)

Chris
    N6WM
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Icom is expected to release version 2 of their RS-BA1 remote control software soon (maybe by the end of July). Here is a link that I came across today and thought folks here might like to read and compare.

http://qrznow.com/new-release-of-ip-r...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.