Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Version in the Title Bar???

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
The version is not displayed on the title bar in the SmartSDR application.  It is on SmartCat and DAX control.  Admittedly this this a pretty minor item and the version is available from the Settings menu.  

But it seems like it would be helpful to have on the application also.  We often provide screen snapshots, and videos for troubleshooting, etc.  It would make it clear what version is being used.

Was this intentional or an oversight?  Is it easy to add?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

**** mockup ****

9 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just noticed that this idea was suggested earlier by Bill / W9OL.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/no_version_of_smartsdr_in_the_title_bar

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If it is considered as a feature, I'd rather see it on the taskbar at the bottom, somewhere in the area where the signal strength/clock/TX indicator is. With very small text. ;-)

Or maybe at the top right next to the headphone volume slider, looks like there is a small space there.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Robbie,
    I just picked the upper left in my mockup for consistency with the other 2  programs that already display the version.  

- SmartCat
    - DAX Control paner

But where ever the developers feel is best works for me.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Roger Rockwell/na4rr
    Roger Rockwell/na4rr Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Still waiting on this one.  Yes, its on the desktop icon but seems like it should be on the application.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ever since the earliest days of Microsoft Windows they have published a Style Guide. The purpose of which was to give developers a template for how Windows apps were supposed to look, the 'common look and feel' Microsoft felt was so important for apps on their OS. Version was never part of the title bar. It went in the about box.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Walt,
    Seems like that suggestion didn't take with everyone.  Even MS doesn't always do it consistently.   Sometimes it is accessed from the "help/about" menu item other times at "options" or other locations.  

Here is an example (CW Skimmer)  where the version is in both the title bar and the "help / about" menu.

And ironically FRS shows the version on the main screen for both CAT and DAT.   Also shown on the snapshot below.  

It would be helpful to have on the SSDR application also for consistency and because we often provide screen snapshots, and videos for troubleshooting, etc.  It would make it clear what version is being used.

Again, seems minor but could be helpful. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Al, it wasn't a suggestion, it was a Microsoft fact. Did ms write cw skimmer?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Walt,

RE: did MS write CW Skimmer? 

I know it was a rhetorical question but the answer is no, CW Skimmer actually works as expected.   Just kidding, I'm actually okay with Windows but it reminds me of this:

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yep...good times...back then
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    V 2.4.9 --- Although this idea was originally flagged as "not planned" it looks like FRS reconsidered it.   The version is now displayed on the bottom of the SSDR screen.  

This idea could now be categorized as "implemented."

@FRS --- is the plan to continue keeping the statuses updated with the new approach to the community?   I know it takes some time to keep up with the community posts so maybe not... 

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    Crazy cool ! I also liked the Inrad mic profiles. Tested the M629 last night, the one I made was good, but reports favored the Flex profile. C'est la vie.

Jim, WQ2H

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I think Version Number is enough, I do not have to see my name or call sigh - I still remember them :)
    I I would rather use this bar for a one click band change - if Flex can put row of buttons for each band.
    I know you can you either profile of Stacks. But I think Band or Mode change should not involve 2 cliks.
    Regards
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi Sergey,
    That was my initial thought as well.   I think it may have been done to help identify which radio you are using in an environment where you have multiple radios that you can use.  ( e.g. a contest station, or if you happen to have 2 or more radios in your shack).  

The release notes reference 2 different tickets but don't give an explanation so this is just my guess.  From the release notes:

Radio Nickname and Software Version Shown on SmartSDR the Console: The radio nickname and oftware version number are now displayed on the bottom bar. #5845 & #6508

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Having the Radio Name at the bottom of the screen would seem to be useful once multiclient capability is released so you can tell what remote your viewing.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    John,

Go into Settings/Radio Settings. 
    Click on Nickname and enter the QTH.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.