Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

digital questions with new software release

A ham who is growing older trying to learn new tricks !   Hi Folks , I have been around for over 25 yrs and always had a urge to learn about Digital comnms but never did .  This last software update caters to digital so I was thinking this would be a good time to ask the questions .  At this point I am assuming that any digital communications start with a third party download which support that particular venue exceptions would be cw .  Does flex have any capability to run rtty or psk31 with out using 3rd party software ?  I am thinking it will be more challenging to figure out the 3rd party software for that particular mode than using that software with my flex 6700 is this correct ?  I have just started to use sdr bridge and cw skimmer and they are fantastic , loads of fun !  where is the best place to look for answers to learning how to use the digital modes with my 6700 .  ps: I have already watched the video on utube  great video but left this novice with his head spinning .  all the best     John kb2huk

Answers

• Nicholas Parry
    edited January 2016

Hi John

I certainly know the feeling.  As a first time user of Digital and owner of a Flex 6700 I have now managed to configure JT65-HF, WSJT-X,  Ham radio Deluxe, DM780 and FLDigi.  The new update  SmartSDR V1.6.17 with the new CAT and DAX are certainly easier to work with than the old 1.5 software.  The flex don't have the capability to run Ritty or BPSK31 without the third party plugins.  For JT65 either JT65-HF program or if you want JT9 also I would go for the WSJT-X software (or even both, why not they are free!).

On another note, I have not experimented with CW skimmer or SDR bridge  are these compatible/required with the new SmartSDR V.1.6.17?.

I agree that the utube video of digitals modes has a lot of content but I am trying to work through it slowly.

Kind regards and I am glad I am not the only one!

Nick, M0NAG

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    John, if you are starting with digital modes, I recommend fldigi http://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/ as it is not only free, but also easy to use. A tutorial is here: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/tutorial-setting-up-fldigi-with-smartsdr And no, SmartSDR by itself can't do digital modes, you always have to use external programs. Depending on the modes you like most, you can decide which program to use. Good luck with digital modes and please ask a lot of questions about them. 73, Alex DH2ID
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    John - No, the SSDR can not do RTTY or PSK31 by itself, you'll have to use an aftermarket program.  FLDigi or DM780 (in HRD) are both good.  Below is an excellent video showing how to set up a Flex 6x00 series radio to FLDigi. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVOhj244e30

Hope this helps.

KF4HR
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi Nick , Thanks for the information !  cw skimmer is great $75 and you need sdr bridge (donation) to make it work with your flex 6700 I found it is a great way to better work cw .  John  kb2huk
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for your quick return Alex .  John kb2huk
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks I am planning to watch it tonight .   John kb2huk 
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited January 2016
    Do we still need or use rig cat to connect fldigi to the flex6700 in the software release 1.6 ?   thanks .  John kb2huk

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.