Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem with DAX after upgrade to 1.6.17 - Suggestions?

James Del Principe
James Del Principe Member ✭✭
The other day I loaded rel 1.6.17.   OK, so far. It behaves like a real radio.....SSB works. It receives and transmits just fine.

However, my FLDIGI will not show audio on transmit or receive. It does provide rig control and will put the Flex into transmit (no output of course)  FLDIGI and Logger 32 both provide control of the frequency just fine.   Let me give an overall description of events and observations.

First, during installation, it asked if I wanted to load dev SW; Flex Radio Systems Sound, video and games.     I selected yes and it repeated this three more times until Windows popped up with a Program Compatibility Assistant which warned "Windows requires a digitally signed driver. A recently installed program tried to install an unsigned driver........etc.         I tried once more and it seemed to just accept the drivers. Not sure about this however.

Next, once everything was installed and rebooted the DAX and CAT control panels came up.
The DAX panel shows "TX Stream driver error" "Mic Stream driver error" and "Rx streams Slice A driver error".      They both show actual audio for receive and transmit on the **** meters in the DAX panel.

The CAT panel v 1.6.17 shows COM5 and COM 7 twice. The second instance indicates an error next to the com port number ( 5 & 7).     Can I just remove the second instance; the ones that indicate an error?

So I seem to have an issue with DAX but I'm not sure just what to do about it.   Remove and reload?  Should I remove those extra audio drivers also?    Many Thanks, Jim              KD1I

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Did you install all patches, updates, etc., to your Windows installation before loading SSDR? Also, were all other applications (including DAX and CAT) terminated before the install? Those are the most common reasons for what you reported. 

And...."sound, video, and games"?? Are you sure?

• Jlawson40
    Jlawson40 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi James. Check out your audio configuration and make sure they are set to DAX Rx1 for capture and DAX TX for transmit. After I downloaded version 1.6, I had to re-setup my fldigi config. Just a thought. John-W8AGS
  • James Del Principe
    edited January 2016
    Hi George n John. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I removed all files related to release 1.4.16 I did not install 1.5.x previously.
    I did not update Windows itself....but can certainly do that.
    All other files loaded just fine with the exception of those audio files I mentioned. The files really were named "Flex Radio System Sound, video and games".   I thought that rather odd but what do I know. Windows said they were not digitally signed....didn't sound good.

John, I think this problem is in the load of 1.6.17 and not with FLDIGI. I did not have FLDIGI running when these errors popped up. They are represented on the DAX panel and the CAT panel.
    I can try to remove and reload R 1.6.17 I suppose and then not load the audio files in question.
    FLDIGI is able to control transmit and frequency so the CAT connections are fine but DAX is another story.          73, Jim
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I have had a similar experience when I upgraded to 1.6 earlier this week. I followed the guidance to the letter and updated Windows prior to starting and rebooted as well - I was on 1.5.1 and as usual I did not remove any of the previous ssdr versions including that one. I just backed up the few profiles I had just in case but 1.6 install has converted or carried forward my 1.5.1 profiles. Ssb and cw and tcp/ip connection to dx lab suite work ok. I saw the same new dax drivers being installed but got no "not signed" certificates message although I have ended up with very similar or identical error messages as you refer to above. I was going to go through my wsjt and winwarbler set ups this weekend to see if checking and correcting the inputs and outputs in line with the new dax design makes any difference. I haven't tried n1mmplus yet either which is also on my list for the weekend. The error messages suggested putting a help desk request but I haven't done that yet. Having followed the best practice and installation instructions to the letter it is disappointing that not everything has good smoothly , but I guess that's the down side of using Windows for anything. 73 steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • James Del Principe
    edited January 2016
    Steve, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems also.   I have removed the new release, upgraded windows 7, rebooted and reloaded SSDR 1.6.17.....several times. I have spent hours on this now...in fact, all day and into this evening. I did open a ticket and I encourage you to do the same. It may help to get us a resolution.
    I tried it again but this time chose not to load those drivers.   No good.   Obviously, it needs those drivers for DAX to work....   so right now my radio is working but no digital.    CAT is fine and I have full rig control for frequency and xmit control....    just no audio for FLDIGI.

73, Jim
  • dl9eri/oe9eri
    dl9eri/oe9eri Member
    edited December 2016
    For all who have the DAX driver certificate problem, Windows 7/64 update with KB3004394 from the microsoft website and wait at least 1 day (it may take up to 24 hours) until the certificates are ready for the new 1.6.17 SmardSDR.

Thanks to Tim, he informed me about this update and it worked here on my win7/64 after about 1 day.

• James Del Principe
    edited January 2016
    I had been advised to do all the Windows updates but did not appreciate just what that could entail. Apparently I was wrong about the periodic updates on this computer. First it did 4 updates and then 6 more.  When I searched for additional updates yesterday, it searched about one hour before I stopped it thinking it was just hung up. I did this twice.  WRONG !!!    This morning I let it search for just over two hours before it found 142 updates.   After installing and a reboot, it found 91 more just now and that is where I'm at right now.
    My excuse is I'm an amateur radio operator and not an amateur computer operator. Yeah. I know. Sounds pretty flimsy.       73, Jim
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Is that correct? I looked up kb3004394 and there is reference to it being a 2014 botched ms update that carried malware and had to be manually removed.

In the absence of any definitive answer or advice from flex on here I am going to have to put in a helpdesk ticket re the dax driver problem - first time I have had problems with any upgrade, and having followed the instructions to the letter, including running windows update for w7 prior to starting the process, I am now pretty mad at having to spend time sorting out a broken system.  

• James Del Principe
    edited January 2016
    Steve, I do have a Help Desk ticket open for this and I am working with Dudley. He did advise me to do ALL MS updates for Win 7.    So far the score is 152 updates installed and my computer says 13 of 91 installing right now.   It will be interesting to see if there are even more after those 91 are installed and I reboot.  I can't complain about Flex at this point as it was my fault that the proper updates were not done on this computer. All my other machines are up to date automatically.    Jim
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited January 2016

Noted Jim let us know how , you get on. I did similar on windows update before the upgrade but it found more updates today so I have also installed those.

Steve gw0gei

• James Del Principe
    edited January 2016
    Steve, from 9:50 this morning until 10:30 PM this evening, it loaded 250 updates....with lots of reboots in between.     I will load rel 1.6.17 tomorrow morning (Sunday) and let you know the results.
    Now in the report, it indicates some of the files failed. I'm not sure how to manually load just those. On my final search for upgrades, it indicates no additional files for updates.      73, Jim
  • James Del Principe
    edited January 2016
    Well, problem with DAX files is solved and Dudley was correct. It needed ALL of the Windows updates. What a job!    This morning, I added an additional 17 updates that did not show up last night then rebooted, checked one more time and then loaded release 1.6.17. DAX and CAT were happy and no more complaints from Windows about unsigned drivers. Radio again works fine, CAT and DAX panels pop up with no errors. Now for FLDIGI. It seems to need reconfiguration for this new release. In 'configuration/audio, I checked 'port audio' and then for Capture, I selected DAX IQ Rx1 (Flex Radio Sys DAX Audio). For Playback, I tried DAX Reserved Audio Rx1 (Flex Radio Sys DAX Audio).
    Results: FLDIGI now receives (PSK for example) but still will not transmit.  CAT is working because when I put in text and hit T/R, the 6500 goes into transmit (red led) but there is no RF output because there is no audio in transmit.
    I think the problem is my configuration of audio in FLDIGI is not correct.  My understanding of FLDIGI is that receive audio is Capture and transmit audio is Playback.   Is this correct?
    What is the proper selection for transmit audio?    I would appreciate any input from someone who knows more about FLDIGI than I.    73   Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.