Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.6 Profile Changes - a sneak peek

2»

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hey, that's good, Al. If one of the audio profiles can be CW and the audio profile is linked to the mode, as the new mic profiles are, then the RX EQ could be linked to the mode through the audio profile. (Mic profile in v.1.6). This would bring additional flexibility, because when I change from my rag chew audio profile to my DXing audio profile to my contest narrow profile, then each one would have a corresponding RX EQ profile. I like that! Because I usually have a flat RX EQ when rag chewing, and a small high frequency boost available, but not turned on, for DXing, and a more aggressive high frequency boost available during a contest. Having these linked to the "audio" profiles, including one for CW that allows a full boost at 500 Hz and all the rest dropped to the bottom, would be even better than merely linking the RX EQ directly to the mode. Because I could change it along with my Mike (audio) profile. I like it a lot! Thanks, AL. Ken - NM9P
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Not having CW as a profile will cause me many issues for club Field Day this year or when 2.0 lands with multi-user logins.   A CW Op’s personal settings is as unique as a voice Op.   All of my club CW ops who do the group events have individual tastes on their CW settings.   Each one had their own profile on the radios we use. They all prefer their own tone value, speed, audio shift, balance, QSK value (some like it some don’t) and sidetone volume.   All of this is gone now and they have to share a common setting.

Please let us have this in profiles again.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Chris, I don't think your issue and the idea that Al and I were discussing are incompatible in any way. My concern is only for linking RX EQ to the Mike/audio profile. I don't care where the rest of the profiles are located because I don't change them all that much, except for speed. So I am happy to have the other parameters profiled wherever it suits the needs of other ops such as yourselves. I just would like a Mike/audio profile that links RX EQ to the mode, whether CW, SSB, am, FDV, fm, etc. and if I can link multiple RX EQ settings via multiple Mike/audio profiles, so much the better. If one of your ops wants a particular RX EQ set up wi their personal CW profile, they can save an audio profile called "CW Chris" or "CW Bob" and link that to their personalized global profile. The first time they select it while in CW mode, then it will remain associated to the CW mode in the same way that a Mike profile is associated to SSB or am in the anticipated v.1.6. The more I discuss this option, the more I like it. And I think it work in your case as well. Am I missing something?
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Well put
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Global profiles would work technically, but it makes for not very graceful Op changes. If FRS doesn't consider putting it back, this will be my only recourse.

Global profiles may be the better fit for multi-user in 2.0 anyway, so I guess time will tell.
  • plain ol Bill
    plain ol Bill Member
    edited December 2017
    My luck holds true - my new radio is still on its way to me and a new release of the software is almost released.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The wording that describes deleting default profiles may be a little confusing.  In prior releases, one could not delete a default profile.  In 1.6, one can delete a default profile.  If they are in your way, if you don't want them around, you can delete them.

If you do a "factory reset", all of the profiles you may have stored in the radio are cleared.  The default profiles are restored.  You can't edit the initial state of those profiles and you can't prevent the software from restoring them on a reset.

When profiles are imported, they are added to the radio.  If an imported profile has the same name as an existing profile, the imported value overwrites the existing value.  This means you can overwrite default profiles on an import.  But for the sake of keeping things transparent and understandable, it would probably be best to save modifications to default profiles to new profiles with different names.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RX and TX EQ Enabled flags and Levels are stored in MIC profiles.  When a Global profile is invoked, each slice defined in the Global profile is set to the mode recorded for that slice.  If one of the slices has the TX flag, the MIC profile that was associated with that mode at the time the Global profile was saved is also invoked.  Sounds messy, but in practice it works intuitively.

If you define different slices to operate in different modes using different MIC profiles, then the MIC profiles will change as you move the TX flag from slice to slice.  Again, this might seem messy, but in practice it behaves in a predictable way.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    "...in practice it behaves in a predictable way."

This is dead on correct.  I defined a PSK31 mic profile and regardless of band (once it is set up) any time I change a slice's mode to DIGU, the radio configures itself for PSK.  Change the slice mode to USB and my PR40 mic profile is loaded.   I do not have to select a profile to do this, it just happens automagically.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dave, I really like the way you are describing the way MIC profiles work, it sounds like I can have a slice on 75 SSB with a rag chew profile, a slice on 15 SSB with a DX profile, and a slice on 60 meters SSB with a mild but slightly narrow profile and they will automatically switch according to which one is RX actice? Neat!

My main issue is whether the RX EQ will switch according to my mode when I change a slice from SSB to CW. By clicking on a spot? Please describe what you mean by the RX and TX EQ are stored in MIC profiles....
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    This is almost how it behaves, but not quite.

The profiling works with modes.  You can have a different Mic profile on LSB and one on USB.   If you move the TX flag to a slice with in USB mode, it will recall the last profile that was used on USB.  Same when shifting to LSB.

My usage is I have a Mic profile called "Digital" and then the rest of my real microphone profiles.   When I move the TX flag to DIGU, the profile switches to Digital, and DAX and related settings are ready.   If I click the TX flag on my USB Slice, it recalls my RadioSport profile I last used.   The persistence isn't Mode+Band, just Mode specific.

TX EQ settings are stored in the Mic Profile.
    RX EQ settings are stored in the Global Profile.  I tested this earlier.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Subsequent releases will no longer require any operator intervention at all, we have all been replaced. Resistance is futile.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I tested and confirmed Chris' comments above.  The RX EQ settings are stored in the Global profile, as far as I can tell.  This means we have some documentation errors to correct, which is unfortunate.

The situation concerning the relationship of MIC profiles to Modes is a bit messy to describe in words, but again, it makes good sense in practical use.  It is unfortunate that SmartSDR has evolved in a way so that both modes and "sub-modes" are displayed by the program in the various menus as if they were equivalent.  But they are not.  LSB and USB are variants of SSB mode and as such are bound together to a MIC profile.  A MIC profile bound to USB is also bound to LSB.  DIGU and DIGL are similarly one mode.  FM, NFM and DFM are one mode, etc.

Like Chris, I have a MIC profile for my PR781 and another for Digital Modes.  When I switch any slice between voice and digital modes, the MIC profile follows.  I have a third MIC profile for PR781 DX usage, which changes the TX EQ for better pile up "****".  That profile is not used directly by any Global profile in my setup, but I can switch it in as needed very conveniently.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Default Profiles and all others can be exported individual or in bulk.  This is also true for importing them. I have saved all the default profiles as a separate export. If I wish to put it back I can import it from that backup with out losing your current profile set. Just don't delete the that Config file with your defaults in it or you will have to do a reset. It is manageable with no loss of your profiles. 

Dan -- KC4GO
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Hi Bill,  please order a radio around Dayton...  I need the 2.0 WAN feature about then.

Congrats on the new rig.

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    Also you can Rename the profile/memory file and load them back in. 
    So keep your master as MyDefaults or some such nonsense... 

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Nope, Norm - that's my SOP.
This discussion has been closed.