Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Basic Mode, Quick Start Mode, Locked Configurations - ideas inspired by the v1.6 Youtube Thread

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas

As a take-away from the huge thread about the cool V1.6 digital video a couple items seem to be self-suggested:

1. A SmartSDR Basic Mode - if selected SmartSDR would hide away any option not needed for basic radio operations. 
  2. A SmartSDR Auto-Digital Mode - which would add to the basic mode a single digital mode instance preconfigured as much as possible to be a clink-n-go option.  A Wizard style configuration auto-checklist would guide a user to configure anything that cannot be automatic.
  3. And then a person could select the full feature mode where everything SmartSDR can do is exposed.

A second take-away is the possible need to "lock" some of the settings.  Here I am envisioning a Flex-6000 in a club situation.  What we do with our present radios is tell any station operators that they have to ask permision to change any configurations, taht those changes have to be logged & initialed, and that the changes need to be set back to how they found it unless otherwise approved. 

I'm imagining a seriously messed up SmartSDR configuation if every operator has access to ever configuration parameter.

Steve K9ZW

Comments

• DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That's a phenomenal idea Steve! I second those suggestions.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Save the Club profile and make it read only.  Then folks can setup the rig however they want.  When the next person comes in, he/she just reloads the club profile and things are all back to normal.  Wouldn't that take care of it?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Norm that would go part way there, but still allows during their radio session unfettered tinkering which may not always be a good idea.

Like the name you put to it - Club Profile!

Steve K9ZW

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Any tinkering would be the borrower's problem and could be easily reversed using the profile. Sound like a brilliant idea from Norm.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@ Guy

Club's HF stations in the club shacks here are often used by lower license classes (and the less experienced) in higher class operating band areas under the station control operator's license's limitations. 

It is also sometimes the first chance new hams get to run QRO or maybe digital or sometimes even the first real experience overall.

In the case of my local club we can run several HF stations at once safety using the bandpass filters we invested in as well as a clear understanding you don't change your radio to another band/band segment without coordination - both parts provide a lot of the protection.  

We also tell new operators that if it isn't the VFO, volume or one of the common uses adjustments, that they have to ask first.  Since the control operator is there they don't lose too much operating time this way.

How is SmartSDR different?  In this situation having every configuration change a keyclick away increases the potential for uncoordinated (and possibly inadvertent) changes being made that wreck kit or are bad practice. 

@ Norm

Having an incorruptible fallback configuration file sorts out resetting to a standard.  Great idea.  What it doesn't address is the "I'll just try this..click click click" mischief or the "how in the world did that setting get changed - I never intended to **** up XYZ bit of kit...." risks.

Being able to reset to a baseline is a great idea that perhaps could be part of SmartSDR itself?

Steve K9ZW

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I wanted to return to the idea of a "Basic Mode."

My personal observation in helping new hams with gear is that it is very nice to get them rolling & making QSOs right away, then go back to do the tweaks once they know what they want.

"Basic Mode" might be a way to do this?

Steve K9ZW

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    There seem to be a lot of threads that start " my flex is not working " that end up being another case of operator error and then they do not even admit that it was their error that caused the issue or they will say oh I knew that all along. Oh well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.