Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Behringer CMD Micro DJ Midi Controller for use with Flex 6000

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I tried downloading the latest Processing IDE (Version 3.01) and built the code. One has to add in some of the .jar files and other files, got it done.

The statement : 

size(1000, 270);

caused a compile error. Checking the help file and following exactly what it says, did not resolve the problem.

Commenting the statement out allowed the entire project / sketch to be built. When run it throws an error at:

myBus = new MidiBus(this, "CMD Micro", "CMD Micro"); //Connect to MIDI Device

Stating method not found. Whereas I do NOT have the CMD Micro device, perhaps that is the source of the problem, is that correct?

Any help appreciated...

k3Tim

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I have mine working great no real issues except it stay lite all the time . Looking at going in and putting switch in 5 volt line. I have read the threads and I know I am not the first ti ask this. Do you have a email you can copy and send to me telling how to move the controls around to different locations. II probably would like to customize more to SSB do CW just to keep my hand in it. Any documentation you have done would be appreciated . I am really enjoying the midi in placevof my flex knobs. My email is dhankins@comcast.net. Thank you very much for your work. Happy new year. Dale KB5VE
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Dale......This is a copy of Williams post describing how to chg things...it worked fine for me. Sorry I attached the whole thing but wasn't sure how to attach just a link

Steve

All,

This version addresses the need to swap stuff around.  I'm not sure if this is a permanent solution, but it address the immediate need.

The var.txt file located in the data directory can be edited to swap certain functions.  However keep in mind, a jog wheel must be swapped with a jog wheel, a button for a button, and slider for a slider.

The current changeable functions are annotated by a number in the app window as seen above.

Here is the default settings in the vat.txt

vfoa=17;
    vfob=33;
    selecta=48;
    selectb=49;
    vola=18;
    volb=34;
    agca=16;
    agcb=32;

If you would like to swap AGC and VOL

vfoa=17;
    vfob=33;
    selecta=48;
    selectb=49;
    vola=16;
    volb=32;
    agca=18;
    agcb=34;

If you would like to completely swap Slice A controls to the right side.

vfoa=33;
    vfob=17;
    selecta=49;
    selectb=48;
    vola=34;
    volb=18;
    agca=32;
    agcb=16;

When editing the var.txt file, do not add any spacing or reformat in any way.  Just change the values and save.

Give it a try and let me know.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhy99o5d4o8r32y/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0b.zip?dl=0

and this version adds a delay in switching from 5x step back to 1x step.  This allows you to maintain the 5x speed better.  Try it out and report back if more delay is needed, or you just hate it.  LOL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv08z9aaxo0ixlp/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0c.zip?dl=0

William
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just installed it and had some issues and I have some feedback/suggestions (change requests I guess). I'm a new Flex user so perhaps my assumptions aren't correct, in which case I'd like to understand my incorrect thinking if that is the case.

I wasn't able to get the CMD Micro to recognize the Flex 6300 at all. I would normally put in WIndows FW rules for 169.254.0.0/16 like I've had to do with all the SmartSDR apps, but I couldn't figure out what executables to setup incoming ruiles for. I tried javaw.exe and CMDMicroFlex6k.exe separately and together and it didn't work.

Java Question: Can another installed JRE be used? Or is the .java folder required and expected?

It took me a little while to get the hang of the spin controls for moving in the slices. You can't go above 50Hz steps unless the 50Hz step is selected and you spin at just the right speed and then it will go up to 250Hz/step. I can live with that, but why is the CUE (Step) button flashing Blue when it is in 50Hz step state? It seems distracting and unneccessary to me.

I think the "TX ANT" and "RX ANT" buttons should be swapped so that they are in the same relative positions as they are displayed in SmartSDR.

The "A<>B" button behaves a little strangely. When two slice receivers are in the same view (in the same panadapter) the button alternates between the slices, but if the slices are not in the same view (example: you are zoomed in onto one) then the button switches to the B slice and will never move back to A.

The Band (Mode if shifted) requires 2 clicks to change either. This is probably intentional but it felt weird at first.

The "Main Vol" knob seems to control the local speakers only. Can this be made to control the Remote Main Volume (laptop) as well? Since the CMD Micro DJ is going to be with the PC at all times, it makes sense for this knob to have the same function remotely.

The "HP Vol" Has the same issue, can it be made to control the Headphones remotely?

The "HP Vol" control would make more sense to be placed as a shifted "Main Vol" rather than the shifted RF Power knob. Keep like controls together.

The only other thing I can think of is it would be the penultimate feature to make ALL controls mappable in a data file. Perhaps one data file for knobs, one for sliders, one for buttons so that control of the same type are grouped toegether.

I've only played with this for a few minutes, and being totally new to it, I hope you take this constructive input from a true beta tester's perspective.

Danny
    K2DMS
  • James - K4JK
    James - K4JK Member
    edited October 2018
    Has anyone else noticed that their "network health" indicator in smart SDR becomes very poor when launching this program? I'm using 2.0d and SmartSDR 1.5.1.

This causes the connection from SmartSDR and the Flex to get very laggy.

As soon as I terminate CMDMicro Flex the network gets back to normal. I've reproduced it several times now.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes James, but it is not only this application. See my post here

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dropped-packets-when-client-connected-from-same-mac...

Danny
    K2DMS
  • James - K4JK
    James - K4JK Member
    edited January 2016
    OK, thanks. I'll move discussion to your thread.
  • Mark - NU8Z
    Mark - NU8Z Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I had same  "network health"  issue. I had been running SmartSDR, DDutil, CMD Micro, and DXLabs with no issues. When I added FRstack to the mix then I had the the problem. When I closed the CMD Micro program the "network health" reading returned to normal. 
    I found that If I booted the programs in the following order, the problem did not occur. 1. SmartSDR, 2. DDutil, 3. CMD Micro, 4. FRStack, 5. DX Labs Launcher (followed by all DX labs program) 
    Did not solve the problem, but it did avoid it.
    Mark
    NU8Z

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I bought a pair of these solid aluminum knobs http://bit.ly/1JWsTSC (black)

They are also available in raw/silver  http://bit.ly/1PephwS

They are 48mm in diameter should fit nicely on top of the stock dials. 

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Your link*s not work!
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    TNX, work for me now. Good info/Link ! 73 Chris
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There are other knobs listed in the same category but these looked like the best fit as the top flat surface of the jog dials looks really close to 48mm, and they ought to be heavy enough being solid aluminum so I'm hoping they feel good too. The low price doesn't hurt either. Shipping from China might be slow.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I wasn't able to reproduce the issue in the new 1.6 release. Hopefully it's long gone.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Arrived today, used some cyanoacrylate glue. Feel nice and heavy and look great.
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited February 2016
    William,

I see you have written a program to control a Flex 6000 radio with the DJ controller.

I am very interested in purchasing one of these controllers.  In the picture I see you have changed the text on the buttons.  Is this done with software or do you have to make physical labels for this?

What kind of interface did you use to read the buttons and sliders on the DJ controller?

Thanks much and 73,

Carl N4PY
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Carl here is mine made with Brother label printerimage
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited February 2016
    Look very nice.
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I used ¼ & ½ tape black with white lettering. ¼ tape fits smaller buttons and ½ fits larger
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And then again, I was able to reproduce it randomly. I think this software has the same issue of using the same UDP port as did the HRI Agent before Mark solved it with that app. Is the author of this software listening here any longer?
  • David (AA9G)
    David (AA9G) Member
    edited April 2020
    Has William abandoned this?  If so is the software still available?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    >>  If so is the software still available?

Yes, check thread here and you will found the download link.

Enjoy

73 Chris
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    There are only two kinds of wires in any shack... those that have a ferrite (or two) and those that will.

As it turns out, the USB cable to my CMDMicro fell into the latter category.  For the first half of the weekend's festivities I wasnt using the CMDMico at all and William's program to control it wasnt even running.  At some point during the day I started up the program and was attempting to get the CMDMicro to play a part in my workflow.  At some other point I got distracted from that and forgot all about it.  

A bit later I found myself searching and pouncing on 15m.  All was going well until POW... my 6500's transmit power suddenly started jumping to 50watts or so nearly anytime I'd transmit.   I'd reset it with the slider and it would be fine for a QSO maybe.  But then POW... back to 50watts.  And, I say "POW" because my amp doesnt like much more than 30 watts of drive.  Luckily the KPA500 does a fine job of protecting itself.  Also luckily, SmartSDR has a place to set the max power output!

After the contest ended and I had some time to relax. It occured to me that something did change during day and that something was the CMDMicro.  It just happened that the RF power knob was left at the 12 o-clock position which also happens to set the 6500 to 50watts.  Add a little bit of RFI and that knob thinks it's been wiggled... and when it wiggles, William's program tells the 6500 to jump to the indicated power level.  

I just added a ferrite to my USB cable.  It took three wraps through a snap-on with a .5" ID, but 15m is back in working order.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes, RF can be a tricky thing.  Different wavelengths will find their way into various lengths of wire.  I have had my station work fine until I operate on a specific band then the pandemonium starts when RF finds it's way in through an audio cable or a piece of un-grounded equipment. 

I agree that the KPA500 is very tolerant and forgiving.  That and the KAT500 tuner work so well together that Flex should consider co-branding them and selling them with new 6000 series equipment.  Or, we can keep buying them from Elecraft, who I have found to be really great people.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I suspect Wayne and Eric wouldn't share that sentiment. I give Steve Nance huge credit for ddutil.. In the Elecraft world those two devices just plug and play, no Windows required.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

I see a lot of post on the different forums and I believe the ferrites have a place but only after I have cleaned up the equipment in my shack and looked at antenna placement and proper install. I will not get into all to do but I personally feel 90% of these issues with rf in the shack can be corrected without adding ferrites.

I keep a field strength meter in front of me at all times. with it set ti max gain and running legal limit it will barley move the meter.This means my leakage in the shack is extreamley small and far less that the specs that the connectors are required to meet (pl259 and n connectors. I clean all my so 239 and pl259 connectors with a approved cleaner, a brass brush then again with the cleaner. all my jumpers are RG 223 or RG 213 and are soldered. I then give all the pl259 a 1/4 turn with a pair of plyers after they are as tight as I can get with my hand (this is a major cure). all my equipment is one point and all connections are cleaned like the pl259 are. one ground rod (eight foot) with the ground wire(number 6 or better and yes clean the ends properly) cad welded to the ground rod. doing this has kept my shack free of ferrites. my computer sits right above my Alpha 8410. my main issue is not to use the ferrite as a bandade. 100 watts should have no issues with rf if everything is correct. and if you are having issues with rfi are you getting the signal out the antenna you want.

Just saying I have no issues with my CDM, my two flex knobs.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I share Dale's opinion. I think good planning and care in the setup of your station can go a long way. And I do feel excessive use of ferrites can "hide" the source/reason of RFI.
    We have many cables, speaker cables, ground cables, power cables, etc... and it could be very easy for one of those to be the culprit. 
    While many might consider K1DBO's approach valid, I think reliance on just ferrites without investigating a bit more is doing you a disservice.

Eventually the final solution might be the use of ferrites, but I don't think it should be the 1st response to the RFI issue.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Sal, when are you next in Connecticut?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    No plans for that at all. LOL
    There is a better chance that you might make it down here to Barbados.
    I do have a trip to Maldives scheduled for late March and I will try to be active as 8Q7DC.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Distinct possibility Sal.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.