Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone seeing this on 20m?

Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
A strange signal seems to have shown up around 14.030.  I don't know when it started.  It could be local (in house noise) or remote.  I only have an end fed wire so I can't turn a beam to see if it is external or specific to a direction.

Just wondering if anyone else sees this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7578983/20mSignal12282015.mp4

Answers

• K7NXT
    K7NXT Member
    edited December 2018
    I can't comment on this signal, but please advise on how you captured the video.  This is very nice documentation.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Snagit for Windows.  Worth the money if you are doing anything and need screen shots.  It does both caps of stills and movies and you can edit them with arrows and text.
  • K7NXT
    K7NXT Member
    edited December 2015
    Thanks..  I see strange and interesting signals from time to time, but I live near a military base, so who knows?
  • Andreas Junge
    Andreas Junge Member
    edited April 2019
    It's probably related to Ethernet spurs. 

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Ferrites-Ham.pdf

73, Andreas, N6NU

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Andreas, thanks for the great link.  More to study and learn.

One interesting point is if I disconnect the antenna the signal disappears.  Not sure what that means but if it was from an ethernet device I'd think I'd still see some of it even with the antenna disconnected.  But it goes away completely.

I'll do more snooping around.  The only new device in the shack is a Vellman relay board.  I'll try playing with that to see if it is perhaps the cause.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Mark, if it goes away when you disconnect the antenna it means the signal is radiated and not coming in on the power lines....a small but valuable piece of information. It looks like a carrier at 14.030 with sidebands but I could be very wrong about that. Have you tried to demodulate it with something like FLDIGI?  Maybe it is a digital signal. I think any Ethernet signal would look more like hash. Keep us updated.   73, Jim
  • K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Mark:  I have had pretty close to the exact same mess on the same freq.  In my case it was the Verizon DSL router cable from the router to the computer that was putting out the noise.  Ferrites fixed the worst of it.

73, Tom
    K1FR
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Thanks Tom,  Good to know.  I have a bunch of chokes and will start searching around.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Looks like a router spur. Do you see it anywhere else?
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    No, and frankly I've not changed equipment for a while and this seems to have come up in the last week or so.

As I said above my only new piece of gear is a Vellman TCP/IP relay.  It could be a cause so I'll have to check it out.
  • K7NXT
    K7NXT Member
    edited December 2015
    But do you have a close neighbor who may have added equipment or be operating something like a blender or power saw?
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Well I live in a neighborhood where the closest house to me is about 100 or more feet away.  It is always possible someone got a new toy... This might have arrived around Christmas perhaps.  

Before I go snooping about I will debug my own stuff first.  But yes it is possible I guess.
  • Top Dawg
    Top Dawg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Mark,

I have it on my N-S oriented windom at about S8-ish - almost unreadable on my 43ft vert. I'm about 120 miles east of San Fran, 60 mi N of Fresno CM97qh - Robert
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Robert, same looking signal in roughly the same place frequency-wise?   Wow!
  • Top Dawg
    Top Dawg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I don't have the 3000 online at the moment so I can't verify what it looks like, but it seems to be at or near 14029.650...there are multiple freqs on the carrier as your screen shot shows so it's difficult for me to say exactly where the main component is situated.

I would put it fairly close to me, < 600-700 miles since there doesn't seem to be any QSB or polarity shifting and it stays right at S9 with very little variation in sig strength.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'd advise a look at Screenpresso, brilliant program.
  • R2AGG
    R2AGG Member
    edited May 2017
    Hello!
    In Russia, such "sticks" on the HF air there for a long time. Every year noise only increase. I have stopped noticing them. If the station is working for them, I have to ignore it. 
    In any big city uses this technology - "Power Line Communication" (PCL). The probability of interference comes from "PCL".

See picture

A similar picture?

Imagine that such packets "sticks" hanging over the whole band: 14030, 14090, 14150, 14212, 14272, 14334, 14396 kHz

Video here (click): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20526580/hams/QSO/SPUUR_20m.mp4 

F***ing civilization
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    it looks and sounds a lot like the junk emitted by my router/DSL modem.  But it could be a lot of things.
  • R2AGG
    R2AGG Member
    edited June 2020
    Question: how to remove it?
  • James Del Principe
    edited June 2020
    At the risk of stating the obvious, first the problem must be located. Is it inside or outside the house? Turn off everything not needed, including other computers, routers, modems, printers, scanners, lamp dimmers, TV sets, flip breakers off. In short, only keep the radio and its computer on.  If he must point the beam to the south to receive this, it does not suggest the issue is inside. After locating the source, only then can he develop a solution......and in the end, it may not be under his control. Could be at a neighbors home or some distance away. Let's see what he finds after attempts to isolate this.       73, Jim
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is..unless his house, router, or other equipment is south of his antenna! For me, southwest aims right over my family room....and the router & dsl modem.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If the router/modem is the problem, get some mix 31 ferrite beads and apply liberally to lines in and out of the router, and power supply. The same goes for other noisy wall-wart power supplies, etc.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Make a short indoor wire dipole antenna (couple of feet ) supported on a piece of wood.  Rotate it around and see if its local in the house.  Did this and found it was my high tech battery charger in the garage.

Good Luck !!

Happy new year

Kevin

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have similar noise.  My entire station with the exception of the amplifier runs off of solar.  I turned off the power to the house and the noise remained. I plug my laptop directly into the 6700 for testing so that I can turn off the router and switch. My noise has a strong peak that osculates slightly in frequency and occurs every 55khz or so with a much smaller peak half way between. It is fairly strong on 17m but is essentially through the entire HF spectrum.

I live in an neighborhood with underground utilities but recently was told it might be the electric meter.  I haven't had a chance to check it yet.  There are so many electric/electronic devices being sold now that are so called smart!  They all have small computers in them.  Shoot even the newer dishwashers, clothes washers/driers, refrigerators etc., are starting to show up with these darn computers and they never turn off.  Another problem is the new motors used in swimming pools, hot tubs and AC units.  They create hash all over the bands.  I don't know how they get approved with all of the RF they produce.  Its frustrating - I don't think anyone in Washington is looking out for us any more!
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2015
    Norm, you are absolutely correct. The world is becoming a very noisy place indeed. My last QTH had new power lines strung in air at 25 KV.  Any damp day drove me off the air. My wife holds off using the washer because of all the junk it puts out across the bands. The new energy efficient motors, as you point out, are only making things worse. Hopefully, future DSP will help us.  73, Jim
  • K7NXT
    K7NXT Member
    edited December 2015
    And don't forget today's high-tech light bulbs, especially the ones that are dimable.  73, Bill

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.