Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Genovation keypad issue

Tim VE6SH
Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Third-Party Software
I installed the Genovation CP24 keypad, but for reasons which escape me cannot get it to trigger the macros in DDU. Thanks to Howard, I have populated the macro window and can trigger the macros by using the mouse on the keypad window in DDU.

I enabled the keypad in DDU and the "Test" feature in the Genovation software shows the keypad working. I created a .ckd file to match the macros as they appear in the window in DDU (ie: "F1" for macro that appears in the window as  F1 "Shift F1" for the macro appearing in the window as "^F1" ). It does not work (although when SDR is in focus the keypad triggers the correct CWX memories).

I suspect my issue may be in creating the .ckd file. Am I going about it the right way? Yes, I read the K5FR documentation and tried the DDUSample file with the same results).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim VE6SH

Answers

• Bernie
    Bernie Member
    edited May 2018
    I think you must "download" the .ckd file to the Genovation keypad using the Genovation software.

Bernie
    W4BGH
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Bernie. Yes, the Keypad has been loaded with the ckd file and checks out fine in the "test" window. Pressing keypad 1 on the CP24 should operate the macro in spot 1 (F1)in the Macro Window in DDU, but it does not.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    To be clear. The CP24 is programmed so pressing the first key in the keypad should trigger the "F1" key. In the "Other" tab in DDU setup I have the keypad enabled and the correct port identified. The CP24 tests fine with the Genovation software. I had assumed programming the CP24 to match the designated "F" keys in the DDU Macro window was the correct approach. I also tried to program the CP24 as suggested by K5FR in his instructions (ie: M 01 CR) to trigger the first Macro. No luck with that either.

I suspect the problem is in the way I have programmed the CP 24.

Tim
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Tim

You don't create the macros in the CP24, the only thing that gets programmed into the CP24 are the DDUtil macro calls, M 01 CR, M 02 CR, etc. The macros are created on DDUtils Macro Tab. It's been a while but all I remember having to do was load the example DDUsample.ckd file onto the CP24 using the CP24 software. Then writing new macros for the DDUtil macro buttons.

Is that your understanding of how it's supposed to work?

Another possible cause of problems might be the model of CP24 your setting up, The model name should be ControlPad CP24 USB Virtual Serial. 
    That model is needed because DDUtil only communicates with Virtual Serial ports. At least that was my understanding. The one I purchased was this one ...
    Model: 684-U
    http://www.smartkeyboardsolutions.com/genovation-controlpad-cp24-USBvirtual.htm

Which works, I'd be happy to work with you to get yours working.

Maybe, we could meet up in #FlexRadio on chat.freenode.net IRC. It's easier to exchange ideas in real-time. I'm there 24/7. But, I may not see you join, so make some noise. Here in this thread is good too.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks Jay. Well I fixed the issue. As mentioned I had programmed the CP24 to emulate the "F" keys on the Macro Window. I had the window "pinned" and open while I was trying to make the keypad work. "Unpinning" it and minimizing the window fixed the problem and the CP24 now works as it should.

I will try now to use the DDU sample file and see if that works with the macro window minimized.

Not sure on the CP24. I purchased mine on Amazon and it is described as CP24 USB. It is not the virtual model (I was not aware of the different models!). My CP24 is connected to a real port though not a virtual port. However, that might be my issue. In any event, it is working now although I may not have done it by the book!

Tim

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim

Mine only requires DDUtil to be running, Not having focus doesn't affect it and it doesn't grab focus either. Hopefully your good to go. K5FR's documentation was where I saw the Virtual Serial model recommendation. I had ordered the non Virtual 
    Serial model the day before and managed to get them to let me switch. They might both work identically, at least I hope they do. I'll keep an eye open for questions.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks. Will let you know how it works. 73 Tim
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jay, yes upon further investigation the CP24 (non virtual) only works when DDU is in focus. I suspect the virtual model will cure that issue. I should have read the K5FR instructions a bit more closely. Amazon only shows the one model of CP24 and I simply ordered that one. Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of the different models!

Tim
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Tim 
    I overlooked the important detail too. Your not alone.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    To All....

I just bought the CP24 DB9 serial version and I'm having the same problem....I can't make the keypad and DDU talk to each other.....the keypad connects to a (non virtual) com port on the PC motherboard.

Now I see DDUTIL recommends the USB Virtual Serial version

Did I buy the wrong version, a hardwired  serial port keypad won't work?.....I guess I could try and send it back for exchange.

Thanks
    Steve

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes. It needs to be the virtual serial to properly work. My USB serial works when DDU is in focus but not otherwise.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Steve
    Yes it needs to be the Virtual Serial model.
    http://www.smartkeyboardsolutions.com/genovation-controlpad-684.htm
    Works.

Also the "older" model 684-U worked. 
    Any model but the 684-U that doesn't claim to be for Virtual Serial, is probably the wrong model.

Not every vendor stocks the Virtual Serial models, and many vendors aren't specific about which models they sell.

The link I included is the correct model.
    That Vendor seems to carry all of the models.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes. You can flash change a USB version to a virtual serial using bootloader. I know you cannot do that with the DB 9 version. Genovation was very helpful in showing me how to change the firmware and even offered to swap my model even though I got it from Amazon. Tim VE6SH
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Well...good news, I'm using the CP24 DB9 serial version plugged into a com port on the back of my PC. Nothing virtual! Can't speak to this serial version working with a serial to usb adapter...haven't tried it because I have available ports.

All's working just fine....turns out my connect problem was resolved after I deleted the keypad software (installed from CD), downloaded a version from Genovations website and re-installed.
    Wasted a lot of time looking for a solution before re-installing software!

Haven't programmed any macros in DDUTIL other than tune on and off but they work fine. Figure I'll wait until V1.6 to roll out before tackeling any new macro's.

Thanks for everyone's inputs!

Steve K3WKM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.