Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Low audio on Slice B

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
With all settings between Slice A and Slice B identical, when I mute one and unmute the other Slice A is always noticeably louder than Slice B.  I searched the Conversations using "Low audio on Slice B" and got 5,000+ results, read quite a few but no answer, so decided to just ask.  Running 1.5.0.145 with my 6300.  

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

You will find, unfortunately, that if you are using the equalizer on slice A and have it adjusted for gain, that slice B will not be equalized and, therefore, sound lower in volume.

Jim, K6QE

• Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Wow!  Quite right, I had no idea that the EQ applied only to Slice A, and there is no indication on the EQ.  When you switch between Slice A and Slice B the EQ panel remains unchanged making it appear that it is still active!  This is either a design problem or a bug.  

Is there a way to make the EQ apply to both slices?  I need my EQ settings to compensate for diminished hearing.  

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015

This might be a design decision the idea being equalization on one person might not apply to another. However, there remains the gain problem which I dislike because when I listen to both sginals mixed one sounds louder than the other. A work around would be using a mixer on slice B and bringing up the gain to match. The problems was also on the Power SDR software.

Jim, K6QE

• Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It may be a bug ... I submitted a Ticket because nothing in the documentation says it should work that way.  Tim was surprised and said he could not duplicate it - he is looking into it.  
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I concur, its a bug. It doesn't matter if it is by design or inadvertent. It's this type of thing that should be fixed in 1.x, just to connect the dots between two threads. Equalizer is an object belonging to Radio. It is not a Slice object so once set it should be set everywhere.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    In the object oriented world, just as in the real world, there are 'things' of type 'whatever'. Some of those 'things' contain other 'things'. A car as an engine, passenger compartment, trunk, tires.
    An engine has cylinders, valves, injectors (or for us older folks, calibrator. The things are called objects and the whatevers are called classes. One can organize these into a sort of organization chart called an ERD or entity relationship diagram. In contrast to containment there are derived objects where a instance, while being of one type directly, is indirectly another type. A class ring is a ring just as a wedding ring is a ring but a class ring is not a wedding, right? A little background for those interested.

In the SSDR world, the root 'thing' is the radio and it directly has several other things, like panadapters and slices and an equalizer.  Where there is only the one equalizer, owned by the radio, which in turn owns the pans as well as the slices, it would stand to reason the various slices would share the same settings as they share the same equalizer object (singular).
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Can someone tell me what he just said?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Which part, or were you just being snarky? Some people expressed interest in how the software works, so the fist part was a lead-in to the second paragraph as well as something of a tutorial to those expressing interest. The second paragraph was explaining why, based on the design, I concluded it was a bug, as the slice doesn't own the equalizer, the radio does.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I am just one of those low class, **** hams that like people to express instead of impress.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Um, that WAS expressing. But now we know where you are coming from.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jim you are well aware if a ham can use 500 words to express, they use 1000 words to impress. Laconic is not in the ham operators vocabulary.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Awwww...boys, that was the short version.

All kidding aside. I am not trying to be snarkly here. There are many people who would like the opportunity to learn more about what's behind the curtain as far as how flexlib works, which gives a view on the ERD of SSDR. From that knowledge one can deduce how other things hold together.

I did not say any of that to 'impress' anyone, not even myself. I was trying to be helpful to the author of this thread and others who might want to learn something about the inner workings of SSDR as it relates to the relationship between the radio object, the pan object and the, in this case, equalizer object.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There is an acknowledged bug in the latest software that when opening a second slice on a pan the RX EQ doesn't engage for that slice. If you switch modes and return then it does engage. This was reported a while back. This may be your problem.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015

I just brought up slice B and it did not function with the equalizer. I changed modes on slice B to CW and back to LSB, and, sure enough, both slices now worked with the equalizer. Thank you for the info. I am sure a lot of others with thank you also. This bug must have been lost as I don't recall ever reading about it.

Jim, K6QE

• Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Very good Ken!  Thanks for the workaround while Tim works on the bug fix.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The RX EQ interaction (or lack there of) on a cloned slice is a defect that will be fixed in the next version of SmartSDR.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Tim, HNY. Apologies if this sounds like a request for you to state the obvious. When you say next version, do you mean 2.0.x or a 1.6.x?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.