Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any opinions/experience with the RadioSport hand operated PTT

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I've written before about how much I value my RadioSport RC-60CF headset.

I needed to disassemble and fix the cherry momentary switch in my Heil PTT hand trigger the other night...

I assume the RadioSport hand operated PTT is built like a tank - anyone have any opinions on it? How "ergonomic" is it? Can you hold it in your hand for hours without it getting uncomfortable?

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Answers

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Foot peddle here. A retired dictaphone peddle with all three switches wired in parallel. Leaves both hands free on the keyboard.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Roy, my Heil handswitch also failed and I couldn't figure out how to get it open. 
    What is the secret?

W7NGA  dan
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    You may have an older version (mine is less than a year old, and not that heavily used). There should be three small self-tapping screws on one side of the handle (don't apply too much force, it is easy to **** the plastic).

Enclosed in the handle is a Cherry momentary switch, which is held together with self locking plastic tabs on all sides. I used a small slotted screwdriver to pry apart the locking tabs and eased the casing apart.

A friend of mine decided to bend the metal a little bit more than it already was on his faulty Heil hand switch, but I just cleaned all the contacts and triggered the switch a few times while it was open to make sure that it was working correctly, then I carefully repositioned the cover, making sure that all the parts were aligned correctly (watch out for that spring, or it's guaranteed to fly off to the floor). It seems to be working again, but if it fails in the middle of a QSO again, I may just chuck it in the garbage.

I considered replacing the Cherry switch, but it retails for something like $5, not to mention the shipping and means de-soldering and re-soldering the darn thing.

I expected something more durable for the money...
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Roy. Mine has no screws and almost looks like the enclosure was glued and not repairable. I bought it probably seven years ago .. no big loss.
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited December 2015
    Add another one to the Heil Hand switch failure list.  The Heil switch is intermittent after only  a year of use.  I'm now using the RadioSport foot switch.  The RadioSport has a very nice solid feel to it. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    We had a 1/2 dozen Heil Prosets, Handswitches and Foot Switches at the NX6T Contest Station... Invariably the Heil stuff failed during the contest season.

My home station, where I do much of my alpha testing,. uses a RadioSport since 2011.

We switched everything to RadioSport Headsets and peripherals at the Contest Station in 2012... We have not experienced a single failure with the RadioSport...

- Yes the initial cost of the RadioSport is much more expensive than the Heil Headsets...but the Heil's invariably fail with heavy usage......We found that the TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP was MUCH LOWER in the long run with the RadioSport.

I have not used the newer Heil Pro 7 series but we took one apart at  the 2015 Visalia DX Convention to compare it;s construction to the RadioSport.  On the surface both look similar.. but on the inside the construction seemed to be much higher quality on the RadioSport. 
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I just purchased a new Radiosport hand held switch was impressed that they all metal no plastic in them like my Heil. But have heavily used a Heil foot switch for over 11 yrs same one without a single issue in the shack. Bought 2 at the same time the other has never been out of the box but worried then one might fail at least I have new extra if ever needed.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Get a Linemaster foot switch.  it will the be last one you buy.  https://www.amazon.com/Linemaster-Clipper-Switch-Electrical-Momentary/dp/B002P55Y36/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UT...
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I commented at the top of this thread 2 years ago about my retired Dictaphone footswitch.

If you listen to anything I ever say this is the one to pay attention to IMHO of course.

The Dictaphone footswitch is about 8 or 9 inches wide by 6 inches high. It has three internal momentary contacts that can be wired for other uses or in parallel like mine to the PTT. The bottom is usually rubber, the older units like mine are covered in cork.
    The left and right sides are 3/4" wide bars that comprise the 2nd and 3rd switches.

They hardly ever move and are easy and comfortable to key in your stocking feet. Contesting dream.

This truly IS the last footswitch you will ever buy... Really.

And yet most people have never seen a Dictaphone footswitch before.

Now my secret is out, take a look.
    All those other switches are really just drill press floor switches,hard to push like a drill press switch acts.

Just for a picture reference this is what it looks like.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dictaphone...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I second that. Bought a linemaster Clipper. Awesome, awesome switch. Takes a jamming, HEAVY and feels amazing when you depress it. Made in USA. I believe DX Engineering is now carrying either those under its own brand name or a clone of them. 
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    I too have a Heil HS-2 PTT handswitch which has been the subject of much consternation.  I have one of the newer models (field-serviceable).  After thrice repairing broken connections on the Cherry switch I finally realized that the weakness was the design of the strain relief.  As designed the strain relief prevents the cord from being pulled out but does not prevent the cord from internal twisting. Upon completing my 3rd repair in 18 months for the same exact failure I placed a moderate sized dab of silicone RTV cement at the strain relief point then allowed it to dry overnight before reassembling. It's been working perfectly for over 2 years.
    73 - Bill
    W1BG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.