Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Over temperature warning?

Douglas Maxwell
Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
After 45 mins in an SSB contest at only 25w output?

Comments

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Check to see if your fan is working.  Do you have anything underneath the radio, i.e., an amp?
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited August 2017
    Happened yesterday in UKEI contest. Total lockup of SSDR with splash screen warning. Failed to re-start (green flashing power led forever) ended up resting ( white flashing power led). Happened first on 40m then again sometime later. No amp or any other heat generating equip within 2 feet, shack door open and window on safety lock allowing through draft. Suspect 6300 to blame as K3 been in same location for 8 years with no problems. Did 2 things, moved 6300 another inch away from the wall (now 6 inches away from wall) and raised the back feet up on a plinth to allow more circ below unit. Fan making usual racket after restart so don't think it was the culprit. Very disappointed.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I suspect that the fan in your 6300 isn't pushing air through the system.  If it's been working okay in its current environment for a long time and suddenly overheats, then that would seem to be a likely cause.  I contest heavily with my 6300 and have never had a temperature problem.

I use a laptop cooler similar to this under my rig.  It's a cheap ounce of prevention, although the rig should work fine without it.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited August 2017
    Thanks, my 6300 has been a problem child since new 8 weeks ago. It arrived from the factory with a board floating free inside with screws missing. Flex reacted within a couple of weeks and sent the missing parts through. It wouldn't surprise me if they have also put the fan in back to front as well. I'll have a look when I get time. This is the first contest I've used it in and didn't really expect any better. Thanks for the advice.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Doug - there are several factors that can be related to the behavior you are seeing.  It looks like you have eliminated the more common issue of restricted or impeded airflow.  I'd like to investigate this further, so I and I am changing this post to a problem topic and converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    One other thought... Ray, K9DUR has a great shareware utility called SDR Monitor that monitors temperature and power supply voltage in real time and displays it on your monitor.  It changes color if those readings get out of range, so it's easy to notice a problem coming before the station shuts down. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.